Support:

Huawei

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
bar5ce
Accepted Solution

Huawei Ascend G300 upgrade to Android 4.0 (ice Cream Sandwich)

Hey,

I recenttly bought this phone with Gingerbread installed. I have had it unlocked, but it's otherwise unchanged (It now has a three SIM).I understand that a 4.0 upgrade was released by Vodafone in the last few days. How do I go about upgrading? The 'online upgrade' option within the phone menus doesn't seem to show the 4.0 upgrade at all. 

Any help appreciated. 

Message 1 of 850 (33,503 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

Re: Huawei Ascend G300 upgrade to Android 4.0 (ice Cream Sandwich)

Software updates are rolled out in phases so whilst you may not see it immediatly it should appear in the next few days.

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 2 of 850 (33,418 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
mrandroid

Ics has not been released, its a gingerbread update
Message 3 of 850 (33,184 Views)
tarafayed

So when will it be rolled out? It's now mid-August when we were promised it! Will all new Ascend 300 phones be sold with it pre-installed or will it be upgrades only?
Message 4 of 850 (31,354 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

Thanks fro your post here.

So we can look at this in more detail for you please can you let us know what firmware you are currently running on your phone as the last update that I can see was released in May.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 5 of 850 (31,194 Views)
tarafayed

Hi James, I'm confused as to why it makes any difference which firmware anyone is using.

It seems clear by the number of viewings of this thread, that your customers are just interested in when the ICS upgrade will be available.

Please could you shed some light on this question.

Many thanks.
Message 6 of 850 (31,154 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi tarafayed,

Unfortunately I can’t give any specifics around firmware as we don’t have them until release days.

This is down to the testing and release process that takes place.

I’m afraid that we will never be able to give and specific details regarding an update for any phone.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 7 of 850 (31,030 Views)
Jasan

[ Edited ]

@ James,

"as the last update that I can see was released in May."

As a member of the Tech Team, are you serious in telling us that you have no knowledge of the recent B892 ?

You still have not answered the question whether the 2D Hardware UI Acceleration will be enabled or remain disabled ?

@ tarafayed

"Hi James, I'm confused as to why it makes any difference which firmware anyone is using."

Maybe he has succedded in his main objective.

Message 8 of 850 (30,371 Views)
Jasan

I have found the answer to what I seek, apology for being a nuisance.

Message 9 of 850 (30,275 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
AndyD

Hi Jasan,

Thanks for your update, there's no need for an apology and it's great to hear you've found the answer to your query.

If you do have any further questions, you know where we are.

Thanks

Andy

Message 10 of 850 (30,247 Views)
simonspeer

hello i see the android 4.0 upgrade is out on huawei website but when will it be available ota as in your vodafone broucher in shops it states that the g300 "on android 4" this is blatently a lie and false agvertising. My partner brought one today and its on android 2.3. can you tell me whats going on please

thanks

Message 11 of 850 (29,920 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi simonspeer,

Welcome to the eForum from all of the team.

I have taken a look at this for you and at the moment the latest approved Vodafone software is the launch software however I can confirm that we have tested the latest update for ICS and passed this back to the manufacturer to be released, unfortunately we don’t have any control of how it will be released (PC or OTA) or when this will be.

Can I ask if you have tried to update the phone to the version available on the Huawei website?

James

Message 12 of 850 (29,726 Views)
PandaKing

Of course, you weren't asking me, but i have tried the update available from the huawei website, and i can confirm that it does not work.

After following the steps in the instructions included in the download (which i had to unzip on my phone then read on my PC) i was given a nice shiny 'UPDATE FAILED' notice, which i had to remove the battery from my phone to get rid of. After multiple attempts i of both forced an regular SD card updates, i gave up and deleted the update package.

The only thing i haven't tried is formating my sd card, which i might try later. Another thing i would like to point out, when you ask huawei, they say that a vodafone ICS update will be rolled out later in the year, but you gave me the impression (in your last comment) that its huawei holding the update up.

I would like some clarification.

Who is it thats holding up the update? Vodafone or Huawei?

Will the Vodafone update behave differently that the version available on their site? (because the version i got clearly didn't work)

I understand that you might not be able to answer all of these questions personally, and that you cant tell us when the update will be rolled out, but any insight would be appreciated.

In my experience, both network providers and manufacturers play a game of 'soon, just be patient', and then after months of 'soon', come out and say that there is no update coming. If nothing else, can you guarantee that there is an update in the works, and it will be released? Or should we just wait and see the update released 'soon'.
Message 13 of 850 (29,631 Views)
PandaKing

Please note, i am posting an additional reply because the editing facility is not working.

After some further investigation, i have found out why the update does not work for me, for some reason beyond my comprehension, my software build number if not supported in the update. I don't know how change this (if it is even possible), and i am a little worried that i will encounter the same issue in the voda update, which is ridiculous, because i payed for the same phone and software as everybody else, and i don't see why my phone should be unsupported.

For those of you who are lucky enough, the builds supported are (you'll have to go to settings -> about phone and scroll all the way down to see this)

U8815V100R001C00B915

U8815V100R001C00B916

U8815V100R001C00B918

U8815V100R001C00B929

U8815V100R001C00B933

As a note, my unsupported build number is:

U8815V100R001C02B892

If you phones software matches this build number, you can download the update from the huawei site here:

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=N...

You'll then have to unzip the file (which i couldn't do in windows, i had to use my phones on board unzipper) and the follow the instructions in the PDF included in the file. If you decide to use the update, report back here whether you are successful or not, otherwise just wait for the voda update, which im sure is coming 'soon'.

Tech team, if you cant investigate this yourself (which is understandable), could you at least forward them to huawei for us? I might do it myself as well, but a message from vodafone might carry a little more weight.

Message 14 of 850 (29,615 Views)
agro82

Is there any timescale on the ICS upgrade being pushed out to the Huawei Ascend G300? Blaming Huawei for any delay simply isn't good enough as I had bought this phone on the premise that it was upgradeable to ICS. I shall be sending it back if not.

Message 15 of 850 (29,445 Views)
Tech Team
Ben_H

Hi folks,

It's probably not the response you were hoping for but when it comes to firmware updates, there's a lot complex to-ing and fro-ing between the manufacturer and the network for each software release. That being the case, there are no timescales given as new bugs can be found that need ironing out or it could swing the other way and we get the update much earlier. 

For more details on how firmware is released and tested, I'd recommend visiting our blog post here.

I understand if it looks like everyone is pointing fingers; the fact is it's not a straightforward process and it can vary so much between each model/platform and if the software even passes testing as an end result. :smileywink:

Cheers, Ben

Message 16 of 850 (29,373 Views)
bryfly

Hi Ben_ H,

Bit confused with your answer to the ICS question, as further up the thread James says "I can confirm that we have tested the latest update for ICS and passed this back to the manufacturer to be released.

This seems to fly in the face of your answer that implies there could be a lot more complex to-ing and fro-ing between the manufacturer and the network ...........

In light of James statement it hardly seems likely that Huawei are going to do anything more to it as they have Vodafone approval to release....

Cheers

B

Message 17 of 850 (29,358 Views)
Tech Team
Ben_H

Hi bryfly,

Apologies for any confusion. I was trying pointing out how firmware updates happen in general as nothing has changed since James' post. We're awaiting the release too and it will get rolled out once the manufacturer have likewise approved it unless any further work is needed. :smileyhappy:

Cheers, Ben

Message 18 of 850 (29,353 Views)
bryfly

Cheers for the clarification Ben, watch this space seems to the best idea...... but not for much longer ,,,,,,hopefully.....

cheers bryfly

Message 19 of 850 (29,351 Views)
PandaKing

I read that article more than a month ago, which makes it all the more frustrating considering the kind of time frames mentioned in the article were weeks not months.

But yes, understood, your waiting for the update from Huawei, same as us. If only THEY could give us a straight answer rather than 'later in the year' ,which is so maddeningly easy for them to keep to. Not in the next month, or two, but later IN THE YEAR. Well, at least they know how to work to a deadline.

'Hey guys, its really important that we finish this phone update before Christmas, otherwise we have to issue an new announcement that says before the summer'

Message 20 of 850 (29,283 Views)