Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huawei G300 "No updates available" - looking for ICS

thirdorder
2: Seeker

When I checked for updates on my phone today, I got "No updates are available". I'm on Gingerbread (U8815V100R001C02B895) and expected to see the ICS upgrade.

Do I have to wait for my phone to check automatically?

52 REPLIES 52

Could a member of Vodafone please confirm that current OTA B936-F offered is approved ICS update and ok to use?  Thank you

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

Hi hazelbee

I have asked for clarification of this, but it was Christmas Day and Boxing Day when the matter arose, so it may have got lost over the holiday - I'll ask again!

The release date of 2012-10-17 strikes me as worryingly early - it's certainly long before the onward patch to B952 was released, so it's hard to see that it can avoid some of the troubles that it caused when first released.  The critical issue is probably whether a decent onward patch is available, and I'll ask about that.

In the meantime, leave well alone!

Annie.

Hi hazelbee,

As Annie_N has mentioned, the latest approved version I can find is B952. 

B936 was a previous Vodafone-approved update, but I can't see version B936-F. That may indicate that one is a variant of our update.

I'll see what we can get confirmed to help clear this up.

Dave

I'm still on GB B895 so I must have missed out on the ICS B952.  Don't know whether B936 was an interim to B952.

Annie_N

Hello again, hazelbee

To give you a brief history, as I see it:  I bought my G300 in June/July 2012, when it came with GB B892.  I had been unaware that there was an upgrade to ICS pending, and wasn't too bothered about it, but when the upgrade was offered at the beginning of Nov 2012, I took it.  I hadn't had a smartphone before, but was very used to Windows PCs, where rolling back was relatively simple if an upgrade didn't work out too well.

There was a small patch to B895, which included a back-up facility not included in B892, then a big upgrade to B936 - which gave moderate problems for lots of people, and really serious problems for quite a few.  In my case, battery life fell to a few hours, apps crashed all the time, the spell-checker seemed to challenge virtually everything, lots more besides - really distressing.  I found the forum at the time, was sort-of reassured that others were in the same boat, but puzzled that Vodafone, despite pre-release testing, was clearly as taken aback as the rest of us.

Thanks to the forum, I discovered that Huawei had released a Vodafone-approved downgrade back to B895, and after about a week of misery I decided that I had better take it.  There was then about a month before a patch from B936 to B952 was released, but I decided not to rush in this time.  Although B952 was clearly a great deal better than B936, a lot of people still reported trouble, and I decided in the end that I'd stay safely on B895, where I still am!  There was an ICS version B960, and some late G300s were sold with that, a few others acquired it when sent in for repair, but there was never an upgrade made available, and I note that Dave reckons B952 is the end of the trail.

It was version B936_F which I installed, although it had a slightly different release date from the one which has shown up recently.  It might be OK as a stepping stone to B952 (I don't believe there is an official Vodafone-approved upgrade direct to B952), but you don't want B936 of any variety as an end point, so I'd advise strongly not to use it unless you get confirmation that the onward patch to B952 is available.

I haven't checked the Huawei website to see if the downgrade is still available, but I do still have it on my PC, so could get it to you in an emergency!  However, it doesn't work as a downgrade from B952, so it wouldn't help you out if you got to B952 and didn't like it.

My impression from the phone-specific parts of the forum is that phones do best with their original firmware, and that subsequent upgrades tend to lead to trouble.  This applies to some extent even to the really top-end phones, and with greater force at the budget end of the range.  The G300 is a super little phone, but it doesn't have either the memory or the power of some of the latest phones, and my suspicion is that ICS is a step too far.  It's possible that there may be a QA dimension to it as well, and the info a few posts back about different grades of memory chip is interesting.

Oh dear, this was supposed to be a brief resume, but it goes on a bit.  Anyhow, I hope it's helpful.

Annie.

Well said Annie.Very comprehensive and something Voda should have put out months ago. (I hope they've been  rewarding you for doing their job this last year or so!!) 

We have similar experiences and thoughts about the G300. Still using mine on the Gingerbread release which I luckily rolled back to. However, in just a year the new apps and full functions of todays android apps demand a newer more powerful phone. I cant afford an expensive one but  the reviews of the Motorola Moto G which comes unlocked and sim free is tempting me at £130.

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@jaysonuk 

The Moto g does look an exceptional Phone, just be aware that Google have sold Motorola to Lenovo in the last 24 Hrs. The likelyhood of continued updates for the Moto g is questionable at least!

It could be fine, but worth going into with your eyes open... :smileywink:

Annie_N
@jaysonuk

Yes, GB becomes ever more restrictive as apps develop, and require the later OSs.

"Unlocked and SIM-free" excellent move, but be careful where the best bargains are despatched from. A number come from Hong Kong, which could be a problem if you have issues under warranty. Also VAT and import duty can kick in above a certain value - when Amazon despatches CDs from the Channel Islands, they are packed singly to avoid the threshold, whatever it may be.

Some years ago an Aussie friend sent us a bottle of wine as a thankyou for a small favour. We had to pay a duty charge to the courier on delivery, but didn't think any more about it - until the bills started rolling in. Bills from Customs & Excise (as it was then), bills from the couriers for other duties plus handling fees. There has been a bit of inflation since, but we ended up paying over £20 for a bottle we could have bought for a fiver from the supermarket. And we never dared tell our friend what had happened!

Annie.

djbreed

Hi folks

Ok so I dont know if I'm being thick here but if I want the ics update and vodafone are about as helpfull as a chocolate fireguard regarding this why can I not just use the update on the huawei site seeing as they made the device ?

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @djbreed 

Unfortunately we don't have any information on an update.

You can get an update from the Huawei site, but we don't support it.

Thanks,

Ian