Support:

Huawei

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
thirdorder

Huawei G300 "No updates available" - looking for ICS

When I checked for updates on my phone today, I got "No updates are available". I'm on Gingerbread (U8815V100R001C02B895) and expected to see the ICS upgrade.

Do I have to wait for my phone to check automatically?

Message 1 of 48 (5,590 Views)
Rank 33: Scholar II
Annie_N

Re: Huawei G300 "No updates available" - looking for ICS

Have a look at this message, from which it appears that the upgrade to ICS is only available as a repair.  It seems rather strange, except that quite a number of people have had problems after an OTA upgrade, so perhaps they're trying to ensure that the upgrade is only done under "laboratory" conditions.  Not quite sure what to make of it.

For the record, I'm one of those who decided to stay safely on GB, and my phone runs very sweetly.  I did have an episode of crashing a week or so back, possibly associated with Touchpal, but that has resolved itself after a few restarts, so I'm continuing with GB (build B895).

Ann.

Message 2 of 48 (5,569 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
PaulE

Hi thirdorder, 

As Ann_N has said, we're only offering ICS through our repair service at the moment - we don't have any info on whether this will change in the future.

Paul

Message 3 of 48 (5,563 Views)
thirdorder

Message 4 of 48 (5,519 Views)
Annie_N

Hi James

I'm planning to stay with GB, but for those who want ICS, how do they access it? Whether I use wifi or data, I also get the "no updates available" response when I check for updates, which seems to rule out the method described on the forum page.

Both PaulE and BenH seem agreed that ICS is currently available only through the repair service, with GB 2.3.6 the highest version available OTA. Strange though this seems.

Ann.
Message 5 of 48 (5,490 Views)
Annie_N

Hi James

Thanks for the link.  As a matter of interest, what would this do to one's warranty?  I thought that rooting was a big no-no.

Ann.

Message 6 of 48 (5,434 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there Annie_N,

Let me check for an officail response. The link isn't from Huawei so I'm not convinced it's official firmware.

I'll post back as soon as I hear anything.

Cheers,

LeeH

Message 7 of 48 (5,395 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

I have removed my last post due to incorrect information being provided, the link was to an unofficial software version and I would like to apologise for the confusion.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 48 (5,383 Views)
lobespear

i'm currently on gingerbread and have never upgraded to ICS. what is the status of this issue? i am now stuck on gingerbread forever? any idea what the reason for removing the OTA update was? 

Message 9 of 48 (5,077 Views)
Tech Team
Andy

Hi lobespear,

The latest update for the Ascend G300 is software version B885. I’ve no news about the update to ICS or why the update was previously removed.

I’ve emailed a colleague to see if there’s any more information available. As soon as I hear anything back, I’ll update the thread.

Thanks,

Andrew

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 10 of 48 (5,043 Views)
lobespear

any updates on this issue? thanks.

Message 11 of 48 (4,799 Views)
Tech Team
Sukhi

Hi lobespear

I've just checked this with Andrew who was looking into this. We strongly recommend that you update to the last G300 software available which will be a version of ICS.

Thanks

Sukhi

Message 12 of 48 (4,782 Views)
lobespear

[ Edited ]

"We strongly recommend that you update to the last G300 software available which will be a version of ICS.".

Unfortunately this doesnt make any sense. How do i upgrade to "a version of ICS" if there are no upgrade options offered when choosing "online upgrade" in the menu? There are "no updates available", remember (and B885 is gingerbread not ICS). Please explain how to upgrade from my current gingerbread, thanks.

Message 13 of 48 (4,771 Views)
hazelbee

yes,please could someone provide a link to ics update. I bought an external sd card in preparation, backed up my data and apps - & then found link had been removed! You are seriously tempting me to quit Vodafone and jump to a custom ROM as latest apps are ics and up. Please reply asap.

Message 14 of 48 (4,756 Views)
Annie_N

"We strongly recommend that you update to the last G300 software available which will be a version of ICS.".

One of the interesting aspects of owning a G300 is the occasional excursion into Cloud Cuckoo Land that seems to be involved.

Ann.

Message 15 of 48 (4,754 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

Can you confirm which version of software you are currently running?

Is this B3960 or higher?

James

Message 16 of 48 (4,738 Views)
Annie_N

Hi James

I bought my G300 in July 2012, when it came with B892 (GB).  I hadn’t heard of B885 until Andrew mentioned it in May 2013, but presume that it must have been a version of GB on phones bought earlier than mine.

In Nov 2012 I upgraded OTA to B895 (GB), and on to B936 (ICS).  My phone was hideous on B936, and I was able to downgrade back to B895, where I chose to stop (that downgrade route was subsequently withdrawn).

Subsequently, a patch from B936 (ICS) to B952 (ICS) was made available, but as far as I am aware no onward patch to B960 (ICS) was ever made available OTA, although some people bought the G300 with B960 already installed, and others had B960 installed on repair.

So there is a spectrum of people stranded in various places, from B892 (or even B885?) through to B952, many of whom would love to progress to B960, except that it hasn’t been made available OTA, and I don’t think that ANY upgrades have been available OTA for some time.

Is B3960 an alias for B960, or is it some exciting new version of ICS to which we should aspire?

I hope I’ve given you the full story, but I’m sure others will chip in with any stages which I may have overlooked.

Ann.

Message 17 of 48 (4,732 Views)
TMK
TMK

So basically Vodafone are tacitly admitting that their *cough* "extensively tested" *cough* ICS update was a bag of nails, and rather than do the decent thing and fix it they've made it completely unavailable - OK, there's the repair option but who is going to give up their phone for as long as it takes to do that?

My G300 was absolutely trashed (as in made unbootable) by the B936 update in November and luckily I recovered it back to B895 with the help of the fine folks at Modaco. I was thinking about giving the upgrade another go now I'm more comfortable with Android but it seems Voda want to make that as inconvenient as possible.

Message 18 of 48 (4,726 Views)
lobespear

B895 (GB)

Message 19 of 48 (4,723 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your posts and especially to Annie_N for the detailed outline of what’s happened.

I’ve passed a lot of this information over to one of our contacts to see exactly what version of ICS should be available and to see what we can do to get this out to our customers.

Annie_N – The B3960 does sound like it could be an alias for B960 but I wouldn’t want to say for sure as it’s not something that we have listed on our approved software list.

James

Message 20 of 48 (4,705 Views)