Support:

Huawei

Ask a question:
Rank 5: Regular Poster
obvious

Please fix hardware UI acceleration on Huawei Ascend G300

[ Edited ]

Please fix support for hardware UI acceleration on the Ascend G300. It doesn't work at all. libhwui.so just does nothing.

Vodafone are currently quality testing firmware B927 for UK release. This is an ideal and urgent opportunity to let Huawei know that it is broken.

Edit: This is why some reviews have said that the phone has a slow response. It should be easily fixed!

Message 1 of 50 (4,505 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
alan1302

Re: Please fix hardware UI acceleration on Huawei Ascend G300

Yeah - gets my vote for doing

Message 2 of 50 (4,486 Views)
dragpyre

I second this motion. Someone from the tech team better reply and get us a response and some progress.

quoted from my thread.
3. One of the most important questions
about ICS across many forums for this
device. Will it have 2D Hardware UI
Acceleration enabled? Its in the ICS
ROM, however, for some reason,
yourselves/Huawei have turned it off.
Hence why most reviews of the phone
have the laggy UI as a con, because
this feature is disabled. Qualcomm
have written the driver for the GPU to
use it, so why isn't it being used?
Thank you.
Message 3 of 50 (4,480 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
unaszplodrmann

+1

Because Huawei have not taken advantage of the addition of hardware acceleration to the 2D rendering pipeline, the G300 does not perform quite as well as it should; a fact that is reflected in most reviews of the device. Omitting support for an entire feature set available in hardware is simply substandard, budget device or otherwise, to the point where some apps simply will not work.

If Vodafone really is committed to providing the best user experience possible, I would expect to see this issue addressed, being as fundamental as it is to the perceived speed of the device.

Message 4 of 50 (4,392 Views)
gsf600y

Yes, I totally agree with the above comments. No further information to add, but want to voice my strong disappointment in what appears to be a glaring omission.
The phone is fantastic, but could perform even better.

If this problem is solved, the positive feedback on the Internet could easily lead to additional sales that would justify the expense of fixing this.
Message 5 of 50 (4,356 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
mrandroid

I have been trying to raise awareness of this for a month or so. As I understand it, Vodafone have stated that the g300 ics build is undergoing testing. Hardware acceleration is broken and Huawei have ignored customer requests for clarification. This phone was advertised as coming with an update to ics, then Huawei stated it would be a demo version then when questioned further stated it would be full ics, and recently stated demo again.
I have asked on Vodafone Twitter about this and was told to wait for news. I supported Vodafone and I supported Huawei by buying this phone and have been played like an idiot since by Huawei as they either ignore questions or just say it will support opengl. Support is already there but its broken.
I was intent on returning my phone for a full refund when Huawei said we would only get a demo of ics. They then said full ics do I kept the phone. I feel I have been deceived but will await a Vodafone response.
Are we getting a demo version or a full version of ics and will hardware accelerated user interface be fully working along with the improvements it brings like smoother interface, better battery life etc? It's one of the main improvements of ics and without it, its not full ics. I'm hoping Vodafone support their customers in this and push Huawei to fix it. Stock camera won't work as no hardware acceleration so Huawei built their own camera app to get around the issue.
Message 6 of 50 (4,330 Views)
rale_ts

1+
Totally agree! Hardware (GPU) accelerated UI is main future of ICS, so if is missed from ICS it is BETA ROM!
I didn't heard of any official ICS ROM for phones that is missing that key future of ICS!

I believe this problem would be solved.
Thank you
Message 7 of 50 (4,324 Views)
dfvt

I also agree, please fix it and make it the best smartphone for 99£

Message 8 of 50 (4,310 Views)
alan1302

Is there any way that Huawei are not including it for some reason?

If they are not including it would it stop someone else making a ROM that did support it available elsewhere?

Message 9 of 50 (4,243 Views)
dragpyre

Message 10 of 50 (4,234 Views)
obvious

NIce to have a couple of frontline reps saying it will get fixed but would be good to have it confirmed here by the Tech Team...

Message 11 of 50 (4,231 Views)
AiCaramba

+1 from me!

Message 12 of 50 (4,212 Views)
mcyi9jm2

Yes this gets my vote as well!!

Thanks

Message 13 of 50 (4,193 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately we can’t give any specifics regarding release dates of firmware updates as per our firmware statement.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 14 of 50 (4,176 Views)
dragpyre

"Do you add or remove anything compared to the standard firmware?

To ensure the handset is optimised for performance on Vodafone, we will sometimes add or remove certain functions. As an example, we would remove an App that only worked in America (e.g. Netflix) to avoid confusion for people trying to use it in the UK. We also remove other operators' settings from the handset to free up onboard memory."

Are you going to be removing or enabling 2D hardware acceleration for the UI and other applications, yes or no?

Nothing in your Firmware policy says you cannot tell us that.
You do know whether it is enabled or not because you are testing it. You will have to thoroughly test how the phone handles 2D and 3D graphics, so you should easily know where this feature will be in there or not. Bearing in mind, we were promised full ICS, not a demo, so if we get demo grade software, you will get a lot of returns. Plenty of forums I visit are clear on this viewpoint.

Message 15 of 50 (4,168 Views)
alan1302

Yeah, we get the idea now

Message 16 of 50 (4,148 Views)
obvious

James, are you being deliberately obtuse?

We're not asking about release dates of firmware. We're asking you to report a bug to Huawei.
Message 17 of 50 (4,109 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
mrandroid

James, your reply carries no relevance to either the title and opening post of the thread or the overall direction and aim of this thread. You responded to a piece from one poster that went a bit off topic.
Can you respond to the initial post please.

I can see ics being released with it not being fixed and if that's the case, I will be at the front of the queue for my full refund as there are plenty of public references stating we will get full ics, not a hacked up version just to get a Rom out.
Message 18 of 50 (4,073 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi All,

Thanks for your posts.

I was not being deliberately obtuse surrounding the subject however the plain and simply truth is that when it comes to features of firmware we are not given visibility of a great deal of information until the firmware is released to the public.

Once this is done we then have a feedback loop where any issues can be raised via our devices teams for testing and to the manufacturer for updating.

Also were we do have some information, it can not be given out to our customers as it is classed as company sensitive information and such I am not allowed to divulge this information to people.

When it comes to a firmware being tested this is done by our devices team who will test specific functions on the device and if there are problems it will fail our technical acceptance and be sent back to the manufacturer to be addressed, unfortunately we have no way of telling the devices team what to test and as mentioned above we will need to wait for any software to be released before an issue can be passed back for investigation.

However, as the release has yet to become live everything is pure speculation as this may have already been addressed.

James 

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 19 of 50 (4,047 Views)
dragpyre

[ Edited ]

"James wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for your posts.

I was not being deliberately obtuse surrounding the subject however the plain and simply truth is that when it comes to features of firmware we are not given visibility of a great deal of information until the firmware is released to the public."

Yes you are, you and Huawei have most/all the information surrounding the firmware.

Once this is done we then have a feedback loop where any issues can be raised via our devices teams for testing and to the manufacturer for updating.

How about fixing it beforehand so that we don't have to wait for ANOTHER update? Since the phone's release, its had two updates. Two updates in the space of less than 6 months really means you need to get your act together and test firmware PROPERLY before release. Developers on Modaco are making Vodafone look like a joke.

Also were we do have some information, it can not be given out to our customers as it is classed as company sensitive information and such I am not allowed to divulge this information to people.

*where (proof read your work please). Also, company sensitive? A KEY FEATURE THAT IS PART OF OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE (I.E. ANDROID) IS NOT A COMPANY SECRET. ICS was praised for intoducing the OpenGL 2D Acceleration, especially for its UI. It is a very basic feature.What would you rather, saying you'll put it in, or face the massive revolt when we find out for ourselves its not? You can see it on our and your forums, and we aren't going anywhere till we get answers.

When it comes to a firmware being tested this is done by our devices team who will test specific functions on the device and if there are problems it will fail our technical acceptance and be sent back to the manufacturer to be addressed, unfortunately we have no way of telling the devices team what to test and as mentioned above we will need to wait for any software to be released before an issue can be passed back for investigation.

Test if it has a stock ICS (not Huawei) Camera app. If it does, with panorama and with face morphing etc, then the feature is present. If it doesn't, tell Huawei or your team to sort it out.

However, as the release has yet to become live everything is pure speculation as this may have already been addressed.

James 

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=ht...

Go download the ROM yourself, and try the Camera app. It is not a stock ICS Camera, it is a Huawei built app with little or no OpenGL Acceleration. We are not speculating anything. We are stating the facts, facts brought to light by a team of excellent developers. What we are doing, is telling you to tell your device team to tell Huawei that consumers within the United Kingdom and all over the world want and need this very basic feature to be enabled either by yourselves or Huawei. It's simple as that. The fact that you are being obtuse, no matter how much you deny it, is what is angering your customers, and owners of this mobile device. It is one question. It's not as if we are demanding the source code of propriatary software. We are making clear to you our right to a feature of OPEN SOURCE software.

Message 20 of 50 (4,020 Views)