Support:

Mobile Broadband

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
nemo123

Connected but Can't Load any websites

Hi

My mobile broadband says connected with a good - excellent (3G+) signal but I can't open any web pages other than Vodafone. This problem has been going on for days now. I have tried - reinstalling the software and upgrading it ..they didnt work.

Any futher thoughts

Thanks

Message 1 of 17 (5,128 Views)
Rank 16: Guide V
SatanicBuddha

Re: Connected but Can't Load any websites

Dear nemo123,

When VMC is saying you are connected, is it showing traffic uploading and downloading (should show just underneath the connect button). If so, then connection is fine and it is likely to be the settings in the browser that need tweaking.

What browser are you using? And what message is it giving you? If you are using Explorer, just check that under Tools, then Internet Options, that Connections has Never Dial A Connection ticked. If you are using another browser, try connecting through Explorer and see if you get the same issue.

Cheers

Message 2 of 17 (5,121 Views)
nemo123

I have tried both IE and Chrome. They didnt work ! 

Thanks

Message 3 of 17 (5,119 Views)
SatanicBuddha

Dear nemo123,

Does VMC show traffic being uploaded and downloaded?

What error message are you getting with the browser?

Have you tried what I suggested with regards the settings in Explorer?

Message 4 of 17 (5,114 Views)
nemo123

Dear SatanicBuddha

I have tried what you just suggested..it didnt work . yes VMC shows the traffic being uploaded and downloaded when loading website. But the downloading speed decreased rapidly and stayed at 0 Kps

then I got this error message - service unavailable 503

Message 5 of 17 (5,106 Views)
SatanicBuddha

Dear nemo123,

Cheers for the reply.

So VMC is definitely 'seeing' the internet. The fact that the download speed drops to zero is simply because it has stopped downloading data.

I take it that the error 503 is coming up on the web browser, as I don't recognise it as a RAS error thrown up by VMC.

If it is the browser that is giving this error, it means that the website you are trying to acces is not responding, and not a problem with your connection.

Have you tried accessing any other website (try Google)? If so are you getting the same thing?

Cheers

Message 6 of 17 (5,093 Views)
nemo123

Dear SatanicBuddha

I have tried other websites, still, not working and same error. The only website I can get through is Vodaphone

Cheers

Message 7 of 17 (5,090 Views)
SatanicBuddha

Dear nemo123,

That is highly unusual. I have never come across this before with USB modems.

I don't know what else to suggest apart from asking Vodafone to have a look at your line and account. As you can only access the Vodafone website, this might mean that some kind of account restriction may be in force.

Cheers

Message 8 of 17 (5,087 Views)
nemo123

Any futher thoughts ?? 

Thanks

Message 9 of 17 (5,077 Views)
SatanicBuddha

Dear nemo123,

Have you spoken to Vodafone? I do believe that this is the next port of call, for the reasons I concluded in my last post.

You could wait for a mod to step in here. They do eventually and it is likely that they will post here that they will need to look at your account and will email you at the address that you are registered on this forum with.

Apart from that, there is nothing else I can suggest. As I said, I have never come across the issue you are getting. As the only website that you can access is the Vodafone one, it might point towards some kind of restriction on your SIM card, and this is something only Vodafone can look at.

Sorry but that is all I can do.

Message 10 of 17 (5,073 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
HHGTTG

This happened to me on Sunday night on the day when my data limit/30 days expired but assumed it was nothing to do with that as had entered my new £15 voucher number. I could not access any websites other than Vodafone's own. The next day I phoned Vodafone and they acknowledged a problem and a couple of hours later normal service was resumed. My computer could not just download or access ANY websites even though the VMC dash showed everything working OK.

Frankly, I don't know what's up with this provider as today I went to look at my usage and find that once again a £0.00 balance was shown but this had not been translated into my 30 days of data and so, as yet, don't know how much I have used. Even if i log into my account it shows nothing regarding data usage or that horizontal red line!
Message 11 of 17 (5,069 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Woody

Hi nemo123,

From reading through the thread, I can see that you can connect to the Vodafone website. This suggests the browser and connection are working fine.

This normally happens when you have ran out of credit on your USB modem, when you are on PAYG. Can you please check this for us.

Woody

eForum Team

Message 12 of 17 (5,027 Views)
nemo123

Hi  Woody

I have checked and it's still got credit - 15quid

Thanks

Message 13 of 17 (5,019 Views)
Roy
Roy

I've had the same issues since the recent upgrade to the PC based connection software.

I can connect and retrieve/send email fine through my email client but trying to load web pages everything just grinds to a halt. The up/download graphics in the software show zero on the download side. Tried switching off the firewall (AVG) to test but had no effect.

I use the laptop else where connected via ethernet and wireless (without running the vodafone connection software) with no difficulties at all.

Are there any know problems with the newer software?

Roy 

Message 14 of 17 (5,009 Views)
Ritaxus

Hi nemo123, Exactly the same thing has happened to me. I picked up a Vodafone TopUp and Go mobile broadband pack from the airport 2 days ago. I can access pages within vodafone.co.uk but nothing else (no Google, Hotmail, Wikipedia etc). My account says I have 16 pounds of credit. I'm connected, and the upload and download bit rates fluctuate, but the connection time indicator and downloaded data indicator are both stuck on zero. I called Vodafone and they said it was a network wide problem affecting some customers. They've had a lot of calls. The problem has existed for a few days, but they don't know when it will be fixed. I'm only in the country for a week, and haven't got days to waste, so I'm switching to a different provider. Good luck!
Message 15 of 17 (4,975 Views)
quyenle

The same problem here. My husband topped up 15£ a few days ago and he hasn't been able to open any websites apart from vodafone since then. Mine is ok. Isn't it weird when we use the same provider ? It's so frustrating to see it's not working when it said connected with a good signal.

Now at least i know it happens with others as well,not only me. I don't want to change the network provider because we have 2  USB which we bought for 25£ each and we just topped up 15£ each.

The thing is,i'd like to know when it will be fixed???????

Message 16 of 17 (4,934 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys,

I have seen a couple of thread on the eForum with our customers reporting the same issues.

So that we can collate as much evidence as possible and get our support teams to investigate this further please can you all do the following;

Pop over to our contact us page.

Fill in your details

In the subject line put "EFT135 Your eForum Data Query"

In the main message box include;

A link to this thread

What Version of VMC you are using

What modem you are using

How long this has been going on for

Once we have your details we will then be able to follow this up for you all. :smileyhappy:

James

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 17 of 17 (4,929 Views)