cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Does Dongle K4201-z actually support 4G?

Golfcity
4: Newbie

Hi,

I have had Voda 4G for over a year with a Blackberry Z10.  Have achieved speeds of 10/12 mb at home.

I decided to try a dongle with a mac and as a router backup.

I was informed by sales that the K4201-z supports 4G so I opted for that with a one month 10gb data pack.

In the devices tab of the VF Mobile Broadband app., there is no 4G option. 

With the new SIM and dongle it connects as 3G+ with speeds around 2/3 mb.

If I put my phone SIM in the dongle (using an adaptor)  that also connects as 3G+ and connects with a speed of 7/8 mbs. My Blackberry shows a 3 bar 4G signal where I'm doing these tests.

I was willing to pay the extra £70 for the K5150 (on the Voda web shop as 4G) but was assured the K4201-z supports 4G.

Can this be verified - is there a firmware upgrade needed?  Has 4G service been applied to my new account?  Please could one of the moderators check?  Many thanks.

By the way, initialisation and connection with the mac was spot-on!

3 REPLIES 3

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Golfcity,

The K5150 is 4G ready.

We'll need to check your account to ensure it's been set up correctly.

So that we can look into this further, take a look here for how to get in touch.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact us page.

Thanks,

Matt B

Matt,

Thanks for your response.  If you read my post carefully you will see that I was talked out of the 5150 by the salesperson.  I will give you access to my account via the private route, but I'm just heading of to the Voda store to discuss the issue.  What's rather annoying is that I paid £10 extra for delivery on Saturday as I am off abroad tomorrow and was hoping to be equipped with a 4G dongle, registered on Euro Travellor.  I'll update this post later depending on what the shop say.

Matt,

I went to the shop at Meadowhall Sheffield.  Very helpful and agreed K4201 is not 4G enabled.  Unfortunately no stock of K5150.  Was given a 'helpdesk' number and worked through this eventually with 'returns' and arranged for a swapout when K5150 is in stock.  Verified that SIM card sent out with 4201 is 4G enabled so that part's OK.  Also reached agreemant on the next day postage premium.  Hoping to get new USB stick early next week.