Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dongle Advice please

wynmorgan
7: Helper
7: Helper

We're staying somewhere later in the year where ther is no wi-fi.  We could use our smart phones but sometimes it's good to use the laptops to get the screen larger. 

I guess that if there is limited vodafone signal (as is the case in some parts of Dorset) then there will be limited wi-fi. Correct?

As I will only need this for a week (but there could be other occasions in the future) do I need some kind of PAYG dongle? 

Sorry if this is all a bit noddy to you guys!

Wyn

4 REPLIES 4

JoanHunterDunn
4: Newbie

All you need is the wireless card in your laptop (most have them) and find a pub, or a McDonalds or a Starbucks etc that offers wifi which is usually "free" or the cost of a loyalty card. Avoid hotels as they charge a fortune. Make sure the 3G dongle is not plugged in in those places.

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi wynmorgan

There’s some good advice there from JoanHunterDunn.:)

A PAYG dongle may also be useful, but you’ll need to ensure that there’s a good signal there for you to use the services. I’d certainly suggest firstly checking the Coverage Map, to get a general idea of what signal is available. You also have the safety net of the 7 day return policy. So if you were unable to get a usable signal, you can return the device within 7 days of receiving it if you wish to.

Dependent on your usage, a 30 day data SIM may suit you better. This is something you need to decide that would depend on how much you’re going to use the device. There's also the option of Mobile WiFi. This creates a WiFi signal that you can use for multiple devices, and we do have a half price offer on this until the end of May 2011.

Let me know if you’ve any further questions.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

Trev

It would only be needed for a week at a time - maybe 2 or 3 times a year.  At most we may use 2 laptops.  It would only be for checking emails and surfing some site to give us an idea of where to go when on holiday.  A 30 day deal seems a little over the top for this.  What does a PAYG dongle entail?  Putting money on whenever needed I imagine?  Would that be an expensive way to use the internet?

Mobile WiFi?  What's that all about?

We are next away (with no wi-fi) in September.  The coverage says its good for 3G indoors.

Wyn

Hi Wyn,

I can see that you have a couple of questions in your post here and I will do my best to answer them all for you.

When it comes to using a PAYG dongle there are a few things that you will need to be aware of before you decide to purchase it;

The PAYG dongle require a topup to use the data when you require it.

Each top up will last a maximum of 30 days, if you don't use it within that time you will loose the data for that topup.

A PAYG SIM will need to be used at least once every 90 days to keep it active, once it goes past this point, the SIM will be disconnected and you would need to buy a new SIM and Modem.

The Mobile WIFI is the same as the Mobile broadband dongle however it simply allows you to connect to the dongle wirelessly (if the laptop has WIFI) rather than connecting it directly to the laptop.

Every time you topup £15 you are allocated 2GB of data to use within 30 days.

If you have any further question please let me know.

James

eForum Team

If you have any feedback on how I have handled your query today please complete our shirt feedback survey.