Support:

Mobile Broadband

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
lessylanova

Internet Dongle - data usage checking

Hello.

I've never used a dongle before but I'm thinking of getting a Vodafone dongle for laptop internet when away from home (UK only).

What I'd like to know is - how will I monitor my data usage for this dongle? Is it done via my online vodafone account (i.e like the one I use to access my mobile contract usage etc.) ??

Thanks,

Lessy

Message 1 of 17 (18,815 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Re: Internet Dongle - data usage checking

Hi lessylanova

Thank you for your post.

That is a great query, and there is actually a data counter on the software once you have installed this onto your computer or laptop.

You can also use 'My Account' which will also show you how much you have remaining.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to post.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 17 (18,791 Views)
vermasagar49

Hi, I am using mac-book pro. I wnat to check my data availability in dongle. There is data count availablity in s/w but it with with 0 uses each time when i will plug-in the dongle.

Kindly help me to find all data available or uses.

Message 3 of 17 (14,040 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Hi vermasagar49,

If it's not showing on the software, can you check for me that you are running the latest available version?

Failing that, you can also check usage by registering for My Account.

Please note, we do advise that the software only provides a guide as there are certain types of usage such as P2P and OS update downloads which do not register.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 17 (13,935 Views)
dangermousie

Where under "my account" is it?

Message 5 of 17 (10,932 Views)
dangermousie

Also, is the usage total shown per billing period?

Message 6 of 17 (10,931 Views)
dangermousie

AND it's not available for business customers!

Message 7 of 17 (10,930 Views)
sam8

HELLO EVERYONE.I AM NEW TO THE VODAFONE FORUM.THE REASON THAT I HAVE LOGGED ON THIS SITE IS THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP TRYING TO GET ANY PROPER ANSWERS THROUGH THE "NORMAL" CHANNELS WHICH HAVE BEEN PROVIDED BY VODAFONE

I HAVE SENT AND RECIEVED WELL OVER 35 EMAILS TO AND FROM THE VODAFONE HELPSITE AS WELL AS COUNTLESS [AT MY EXPEPENSE,AS I DO NOT HAVE A VODAPHONE HANDSET] TELEPHONE CALLS TO OUR FRIENDS IN THE INDIAN SUB-CONTINENT.

THE ISSUE WHICH I HAVE IS VERY-VERY SIMPLE I BELIEVE,AND IS IN CONNECTION WITH THE ABOVE.

THE ONLINE DASHPANEL DOES NOT WORK !

TO COMPOUND THE ISSUE THE ACCOUNT PAGE [WHEN YOU CAN ACTUALLY LOG ON TO IT OF COURSE] IS ALWAYS WELL BEHIND WITH THE USAGE.

AS I HAVE A CONTRACT WITH VODAFONE FOR 2GB PER MONTH [NEVER AGAIN], I NEED TO KNOW HOW MUCH OF THIS I HAVE USED SO NOT TO INCURE THE ADDITIONAL £15 FOR AN EXTRA 1GB WHICH IS AUTOMATICALLY ADDED TO MY BILL IF I DO.

THIS MUST BE THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL FUNCTION OF ANY SERVICE PROVIDER,YET AFTER COUNTLESS COMUNICATIONS WITH VODAFONE [AS MENTIONED EARLIER] IWAS TOLD BY A TECHNICIAN IN BOMBAY THAT THE DASHPANEL USAGE METER WOULD NOT WORK,AND THAT THIS WAS THE SAME PROBLEM FOR OTHER VODAFONE USERS !

WHY WAS I NOT TOLD THIS BEFORE I ENTERED INTO THE CONTRACT WITH VODAFONE?

I HAVE EVEN HAD TO SEND THE DONGLE BACK TO VODAFONE SOME WEEKS AGO ,AS THEY TOLD ME THAT THE REASON THAT IT WAS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY WAS THAT IT WAS MALFUNCTIONING.

THIS MEANT THAT I WAS WITHOUT BROADBAND FOR WELL OVER ONE WEEK [GREAT IF YOU NEED IT EVERY DAY LIKE ME!] AND THEY DID NOT OFFER AN ALTERNATIVE DONGLE OR ANYTHING ELSE FOR THAT MATTER.I WAS FORCED TO GET A PAY AS YOU GO DONGLE FROM T-MOBILE WHICH WORKS PERFECTLY AND IS MUCH QICKER THAN THE VODAFONE ONE AS WELL.THE DOWNSIDE IS THAT IT COSTS MORE OF COURSE,BUT I CAN CONTROL THIS PROPERLY AS I SHOULD BE DOING WITH THE VODAFONE ONE.WHEN THE DONGLE CAME BACK FROM VODAFONE IT WORKED FINE FOR ABOUT ONE WEEK THEN IT REVERTED TO IT'S FORMER STATE AGAIN...INCORRECT DASHPANEL READING.

I HAVE TRIED [YESTERDAY] TO TELEPHONE VDAFONE IN THE UK WITH A NUMBER WHICH I GOT FROM A GUY IN THE LOCAL VODAFONE SHOP,BUT THE PERSON ON THE SWITCHBOARD PUT ME STRAIGHT THROUGH TO THE BOMBAY TEAM AGAIN !!!

I PHONED AGAIN AND WAS TOLD THAT SHE COULD/WOULD NOT PUT ME THROUG TO ANYONE IN THE HEAD OFFICE AMD THAT EVERYTHING HAD TO GO THROUGH THE "NORMAL" SYSTEM.THIS WAS DESPITE THE FACT THAT IHAD ALREADY SPOKEN TO SOMEONE [I DID NOT MAKE A NOTE OF HIS NAME AT THE TIME UNFORTUNATELY] THERE A FEW WEEKS AGO.SHE TOLD ME THAT SHE DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THE GUY IN THE VODAFONE SHOP HAD GIVEN ME THE TELEPHONE NUMBER !!!!!!

I AM SICK TO DEATH OF THIS SITUATION AND FIND IT DISTURBING THAT VODAFONE HAVE THE FOLLOWING IN THEIR WESITE.......

"We want our customers to know that if they have a question or a problem, our advisers will resolve it quickly and they won’t have to ask us twice. We aim to call customers back when we say we will and escalate concerns to a team manager when appropriate. We’re proud of the service we offer but we know there is always room to improve."

THIS IS CORRECT,IN THAT I DID NOT HAVE TO ASK TWICE...NO IT WAS MORE LIKE 20 TMES....GOOD LUCK EVERYONE,YOU ARE GONNA-NEED-IT !

Message 8 of 17 (10,888 Views)
sam8

THANKS FOR THE SAME OLD STANDARD ANSWER WHICH I HAVE HAD TOO MANY TIMES FROM YOUR MATES IN BOMBAY...I THINK THAT THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE IS THE ISSUE,AS NOBODY I VODAFONE UNDERSTANDS THIS ISSUE AT ALL..WHAT A SHAME,BUT I AM SURE THAT THE PEOPLE IN OFCOM WILL BE ABLE TO LOKK INTO THIS ....WATCH THIS SPACE .

P.S JUST FOR YOUR INFORMATION,THE PERSON I SPOKE TO YESTERDAY I BOMBAY,SAID THAT I SHOULD PHONE THEM WHEN I NEEDED TO KNOW MY CURRENT USAGE IS !!

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA AS I DO NOT HAVE A VODAFONE TELEPHONE,SO IT WILL COST ME...BUT OF COURSE,THAT IS THE NAME OF THE GAME THESE DAYS ISN'T IT ??

ANYHOO,LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WASTE TIME WITH THIS ANY LONGER.IWILL BE PAYING A VISIT TO ONE OF THE VODAFONE SHOPS AND RETUNING THE DONGLE AND TERMINATING THE CONTRACT ASAP....I WILL NOT ME PAYING ANY CANCELLATION FEES EITHER OF COURSE .

Message 9 of 17 (10,880 Views)
dangermousie

Can a vfone rep tell us why it's so difficult! The data are gathered for billing purposes, for money, he important stuff, high priority. Why can't we know about it? So that we accidentally go over our bill?

Message 10 of 17 (10,878 Views)
dangermousie

DAYAM! Let us know how it goes? If you have the patience by then :smileyhappy:

Hmm, if I can't get a solution - Ofcom indeed.

Message 11 of 17 (10,876 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
PaulE

Hi guys, 

The dashboard software doesn't count the background data that is used for updates - there is a warning about this when you install the software.

If you require an accurate usage figure you can sign up for an online billing account - this has the most up to date usage info that we

have, and is also the information we use to bill you.

Paul

Message 12 of 17 (10,834 Views)
dangermousie

That link doesn't work.

If it ever does, will it work for business customers?

Message 13 of 17 (10,824 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi dangermousie,

When you say "that link doesn't work" can you explain what error messages you see?

You can sign up for a My Vodafone account if you're a business customer. The My Vodafone app is not yet available though.

Cheers,

LeeH

Message 14 of 17 (10,788 Views)
dangermousie

Hi LeeH, thanks for following up:

An Unexpected Error has occurred.
  • Sorry, your request failed. A notification has been sent to the development team for investigation.

Exception ID: 742C4B29

Please click the Back button on your browser.

I get errors all the time now about the site not being ready.

I just tried to log in and got:

Unfortunately, your request cannot be processed.

We are unable to fulfill your request due to a temporary problem at our end. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused. We hope to resolve this problem very soon, so please try again later.

Message 15 of 17 (10,749 Views)
sam8

THANKS FOR THE INFO..AGAIN !

I HAVE JUST HAD A TELEPHONE CALL FROM MOMBAY.THE PERSON THERE SAID THAT HE WAS GOING TO PUT ME THROUGH TO THE  VODAFONE TECH-TEAM AS THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO ANSWER MY ISSUE.AFTER A FEW SECONDS I WAS THEN TALKING TO SAD MEMBER WHO STAARTED OFF BY ASKING WHY I HAD CALLED HIM !!!!!!!!!!!

I SAID THAT VODAFONE HAD JUST CALLED ME  AND I WAS EXPECTING AN ANSWER ABOUT THE USAGE METER ON THE DASH PANEL.

HE THEN PROCEEDED TO TELL ME THAT I SHOULD LOG ON TO MY ACCOUNT TO SEE THIS AS THE USAGE METER WAS NOT WORKING .

WHEN I TOLD HIM THAT I HAD ALREADY BEEN TOLD THIS ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS BY HIS CHUMS,AND THAT THE INFO ON THE "ACCOUNT" PAGE COIULD BE UP TO 72 HOUR OUT OF DATE,HE SAID THAT THIS WAS NOT RIGHT,AND ANYWAY HOW DID I KNOW THIS AT ALL !? I TOLD HIM THAT IT WAS THERE ON THE VODAFONE WEBPAGE FOR ALL TO SEE OF COURSE.

HE THEN SAID THAT I SHOULD CALL VODAFONE TO FIND OUT WHAT MY USAGE WAS IN THAT CASE.

I POINTED OUT TO HIM THAT I DID NOT HAVE A VODAFONE HANDSET,AND THE ONE I HAVE IS WITH TALKMOBILE, AND EVERY TIME I CALLED VODAFONE IT WAS COSTING ME MONEY.

HE THEN BLATHERED ON AS IF I WAS SOME COMLETE IDIOT ,AT WHICH POINT I LOST MY RAG COMPLETELY AND TOLD HIM TO GET LOST IN THE GOOD OLD FASHIONED ANGLO SAXON  WAY.

WHAT IS THE POINT...I THINK [KNOW] THAT VODAFONE ARE HAVING A LAUGH AT MY EXPENCE,AND IF IT WAS NOT FOR THE FACT THAT I UNFORTUNALELY WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO HAVE SIGNED A CONTRACT FOR THE DONGLE,I WOULD JUST WALK AWAY NEVER TO RETURN.

Message 16 of 17 (10,726 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi guys,

I've sent you both a PM which can be accessed here. If you could follow the instructions in the PM and send us your details one of the team will be with you as soon as they can.

This will enable us to investigate at account level.

Cheers,

LeeH

Message 17 of 17 (10,677 Views)