Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K35020-Z HSDPA usb stick not working on Windows 7

rocketsauce
4: Newbie
I recently got a new laptop with Windows 7 home premium 64bit installed. Previously I had Windows Vista and my usb stick (model K35020-Z) worked fine on that, so I assumed it would be ok with Windows 7.
However, on several occasions I've tried to install it and setup seems to run ok, it prepares to install and then "ERROR 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action." comes up, and it doesn't install properly.
Is there a fix for this or an update I've perhaps not got? It seems like a bit of a waste if I'm paying for a usb stick I can't use. :(

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi rocketsauce.

Shame to read this :(

As we're not accredited Microsoft tech's (and this is a Windows-specific problem), Google is your best friend. The general fix for this is:

Symptoms

When installing or uninstalling the following error message is displayed.

Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.

Cause

This error message indicates that the VBScript engine is not currently registered on the machine where the install/uninstall is taking place.

Resolution

The VBScript engine can be quickly registered by following these steps:

1. Run Command Prompt as administrator
1.1 Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories
1.2 Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator

2. If you are using 32-bit version of Windows:
Type cd %windir%\system32 into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

If you are using 64-bit version of Windows:
Type cd %windir%\syswow64 into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

3. Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

:excl: Remember to have your computer backed up to a recent Restore point just in case anything goes awry. We can't be held accountable to any damages the above solution may cause, but it does seem to work in most reported cases.

Let us know how you get on!

Daz

eForum Team

rocketsauce
Hi rocketsauce.

Shame to read this :(

As we're not accredited Microsoft tech's (and this is a Windows-specific problem), Google is your best friend. The general fix for this is:

Symptoms

When installing or uninstalling the following error message is displayed.

Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.

Cause

This error message indicates that the VBScript engine is not currently registered on the machine where the install/uninstall is taking place.

Resolution

The VBScript engine can be quickly registered by following these steps:

1. Run Command Prompt as administrator
1.1 Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories
1.2 Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator

2. If you are using 32-bit version of Windows:
Type cd %windir%\system32 into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

If you are using 64-bit version of Windows:
Type cd %windir%\syswow64 into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

3. Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll into the Command Prompt and hit Enter

:excl: Remember to have your computer backed up to a recent Restore point just in case anything goes awry. We can't be held accountable to any damages the above solution may cause, but it does seem to work in most reported cases.

Let us know how you get on!

Daz

eForum Team

I tried this and it didn't work :( The usb stick attempted to install but then I got the same error message again.
Any other solutions?

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Rocketsauce,

I know a few people have had this issue and failed to install the first time of trying this so i would firstly try the instructions by Daz again and see if this does work.

Alternatively it may be worth trying this. Unfortunately we can't gaurantee that this will work and take no responsability for any issues caused by a third party software.

James
eforum Team

rocketsauce
Hi Rocketsauce,

I know a few people have had this issue and failed to install the first time of trying this so i would firstly try the instructions by Daz again and see if this does work.

Alternatively it may be worth trying this. Unfortunately we can't gaurantee that this will work and take no responsability for any issues caused by a third party software.

James
eforum Team

I tried the command prompt again and although it said it was successful I just get the same error message when I try to install. I also tried the registry solution, but apparently to get full use of the program I have to register and pay for it which I don't really want to do. I ran a scan anyway and then tried to install but the same error just came up again :(
The only change is instead of a red light flashing on the usb stick, a blue light flashes.

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi rocketsauce,

Disappointing that didn't work. Sadly as we're not Microsoft Accredited technical advisers, I would suggest enlisting the aid of a qualified computer expert to try to fix this hands-on.

Perhaps one of the community can suggest a solution for this? I fully believe that once this has been resolved your modem will work fine - the blue light indicates that it's successfully picking up 3G signal!

Please keep us up to date with developments or if you need a hand with anything else,

Daz

eForum Team

rocketsauce
Hi rocketsauce,

Disappointing that didn't work. Sadly as we're not Microsoft Accredited technical advisers, I would suggest enlisting the aid of a qualified computer expert to try to fix this hands-on.

Perhaps one of the community can suggest a solution for this? I fully believe that once this has been resolved your modem will work fine - the blue light indicates that it's successfully picking up 3G signal!

Please keep us up to date with developments or if you need a hand with anything else,

Daz

eForum Team

I hope someone has a solution :(
I googled it and tried some of the things suggested but nothing seems to work.

rocketsauce
Will there maybe be an update or something that could sort it? I tried again the other day with no success :(

Retired-MattyD1
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi rocketsauce

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry to see that you're still having this issue.

With regards to an update, never say never but it's not something we could promise you I'm afraid.

Until someone gives you an alternative, Google looks to be the likeliest source of help.

Thanks

MattyD

eForum team

rocketsauce
Hi rocketsauce

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry to see that you're still having this issue.

With regards to an update, never say never but it's not something we could promise you I'm afraid.

Until someone gives you an alternative, Google looks to be the likeliest source of help.

Thanks

MattyD

eForum team

I've already googled but none of the solutions work :( Just seems a bit silly how it doesn't work with Windows 7, I'd like to be able to use it, especially since I'm paying for it as well.