Support:

Mobile Broadband

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Dadmac01

K3770 Data Card - VMB wont install

Hi There,

My OS: Windows 7 SP1

I was previously using VMC Lite with an E220 vodafone without any problems; but as it was on loan I had to return it and therefore uninstalled all the relevant files, etc.

I have just bought a PAYG "special" from Vodacom in SA which included the K3770 data card. When inserting the unit it does an autorun and tries to install the VMB software - to no avail. I tried this many times before giving up and finally sending an email to customer care at Vodacom. I was informed to download the latest version (VMB 10.1.108.29105RP156) which I duly did and tried again.

The installation runs through all the way to "Starting Services", adds about 2%, stops for a 15/20sec breather and then suddenly does a complete 'roll back' and I end up with nothing installed and no error messages, etc to ascertain what the problem may be.

I have gone into the system configuration and switched to a 'Selective Startup' and turned all services off except the essential Microsoft services and retried - still no luck.

It would be most appreciated if you could please try and assist as I am starting to get extremely frustrated with not been able to use the item. I know there is nothing wrong with the data card as I have installed the software and connected on both my son's PC and my work PC.

Thank you and Regards

Dave

Message 1 of 15 (16,716 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Re: K3770 Data Card - VMB wont install

Hi Dadmac01,

Welcome to the Vodafone UK eForum from all of the team.

To be honest, when it comes to other parts of the Vodafone group there isn’t much support we can offer however, as you have said that it works fine in your son’s computer it would suggest that the issue comes from your own PC and the windows 7 that you are running.

When you are installing the software, can I ask if you are running the PC profile as administrator?

If you can let us know we will see what else we can find out for you however if you are using this in a laptop you may want to take this to one of the stores or walk in centres for them to look at the laptop to see if they are able to offer any assistance.

James

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 15 (16,677 Views)
Dadmac01

Hi James,

Thank you for the reply and yes it is definitely my PC (desktop) - I loaded everything onto my work PC and it worked fine. It is a strange problem though because my IT guy at worked loaned my a new Huawei E367 modem which has the Mobile Partner software and it installed and worked fine without any hassles(?). Unfortunately this software does not read / see the K3770 device - is there perhaps other dahsboard software that will see the device or is it "locked" for the VMB software only?

Yes I am running as administrator and I have tried everything: Selective Start-up / Diagnostic Start-up / I have checked the task manager and removed processes & services that I loaded, unfortunately I am not a microsoft fundi so I am not sure what MS processes I can switch off.

I have attached 3 pics of what is still running on my PC after a selective start-up (processes & services) and if you can see anything from these please let me know.

I have been dealing with my local Vodacom customer care unit as well but the data technician that is supposed to be helping me obviously can't read very well; because every time I tell him in an email what I have done he will come back with a reply to tell me that I must do something that I have already done (...go figure).

RIght now I am starting to tear my hair out and getting very very frustrated (tempted to take it back and ask for a refund but then that defeats the object as to why I purchased it in the first place).

Oh well; it will be great if you can assist and thank you once again for the reply.

Enjoy your day and Kind Regards

Dave

Message 3 of 15 (16,674 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Dadmac01,

To be honest with you, if you are unable to install the VMB software then the only other option is to set up a manual dial string for the modem to connect to the internet via your PC however, as this is a Vodacom device you would need to get them to give you the settings to do this as the access point names (APN'S) and passwords will be different.

James

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 15 (16,658 Views)
Dadmac01

Hi James,

Thank you for trying to assist and it seems you may be right and I will have to do a manual dial string.

As the VMB software usually installs the drivers, could you tell me where I could find just the modem drivers to install (and of course which driver do I use with this modem - couldn't find anything on Huawei's site).

My only other option would be a further expense; but it would be to purchase a wired/wireless 3G Router and plug the modem into this and then connect to the PC (I believe it works same as a dial-up connection).

One of our other operators in SA is Cell C and I took there software home last night and as per the Mobile Partner software it installed without any problems; except of course it does not recognise the K3770 modem (it seems Vodacom / vodafone are the only ones using this modem).

Oh well, once again thank you very much for your help and assisstance it is very much appreciated.

Enjoy your day and Regards

Dave:smileysad:

Message 5 of 15 (16,655 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
BenJ

Hi dadmac01

I would suggest installing VMB and copying the driver file out as the easiest solution to this problem

You can find the folder at this location:

C:/Program Files/Vodafone/Vodafone Mobile Broadband/Driver

I would copy this folder to a rememberable location,  you should be able to  use this folder to manually install the dongle.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team 

Message 6 of 15 (16,624 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Trev

Hi Dadmac01

In addition to what's been advised here, it's possible that this issue is been caused by a malicious piece of software, that's preventing VMC from installing.

I'd suggest you attempt a selective startup/clean boot. I've attached full instructions on this process.

If you could post the results of trying this process it would be most useful.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

Message 7 of 15 (16,596 Views)
sudz

Hi Dave

If you haven't found a solution to your problem yet, hopefully this helps!

I had this exact same problem with my K3770 modem which I recently got from Vodacom. Software installation would fail at starting services, then roll back. After days of searching various forums I found the problem.

Turns out that the new Vodafone Mobile Broadband software installs a Windows service, which depends on the Wireless Zero Configuration service. Mine was disabled, so after enabling and starting it, the software installed without any issues.

I also had an issue on my desktop when trying to connect to the 3G network it would fail on obtaining an IP Address. Again after more searching of forums, I finally found the issue yesterday, which was that my DHCP Client service was also disabled. And again, after enabling and starting this service, everything works perfectly!

So please ensure that these two services are running and set to start Automatically: Wireless Zero Configuration and DHCP Client.

Cheers, Sudz

Dadmac01 wrote:

Hi There,

My OS: Windows 7 SP1

I was previously using VMC Lite with an E220 vodafone without any problems; but as it was on loan I had to return it and therefore uninstalled all the relevant files, etc.

I have just bought a PAYG "special" from Vodacom in SA which included the K3770 data card. When inserting the unit it does an autorun and tries to install the VMB software - to no avail. I tried this many times before giving up and finally sending an email to customer care at Vodacom. I was informed to download the latest version (VMB 10.1.108.29105RP156) which I duly did and tried again.

The installation runs through all the way to "Starting Services", adds about 2%, stops for a 15/20sec breather and then suddenly does a complete 'roll back' and I end up with nothing installed and no error messages, etc to ascertain what the problem may be.

I have gone into the system configuration and switched to a 'Selective Startup' and turned all services off except the essential Microsoft services and retried - still no luck.

It would be most appreciated if you could please try and assist as I am starting to get extremely frustrated with not been able to use the item. I know there is nothing wrong with the data card as I have installed the software and connected on both my son's PC and my work PC.

Thank you and Regards

Dave

Message 8 of 15 (16,535 Views)
Ashraf

Hi

I have experienced a similar problem with the "rolling back action" at starting services.  To resolve run msconfig and check for "fixcamera" under the services tab.  Remove the check and restart.  Then try to install vmc software. 

Second method is to run task manager and end process for "fixcamera" then try installing software.

This solution is on many other Vodafone forums and i find it very strange that there is no consistancy in the support that they offer.  I called the Vodacom SA help line many times for support and it seems that most of the time they simply want to shrug off the errors and blame os and not the incompatibility of the VMC software with many apps.  Hope this solution helps.

Message 9 of 15 (16,127 Views)
vivekv

Hi I’m struggling to install the Vodafone K3770 3G USB stick on my notebook. I’m running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on my
notebook. When I launch the installation program, it installs up to a point (starting services) then it rolls back the action and undoes the installation. I’ve spoken to Vodacom and I’m still struggling. Any ideas?

Message 10 of 15 (15,518 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
BenJ

Hi guys,

It sounds like a conflict may cause this issue

Could you supply your msinfo32 log file and we will have a look for you:

• Go to Start Menu.
  • Type msinfo32 in the search bar and hit return to open the System Configuration Utility.
  • Select File and Export- Enter a file name and save the file.

Thanks

BenJ

eForum Team 

Message 11 of 15 (15,457 Views)
ArnoHill

What Vodacom needs to do, is make the actual driver files for the huawei devices available seperately on the website.

And ensure that any device released/sold to end-user has its device driver accounted for on the almost immediately.

I assume you have the same problem as all my clients.

Your problem was that the driver for Windows 7 which should be installed off the dongle, was not installed when it should have been.

Probably because of some problem with the files on the "CD' portion of the dongle.

It could also be that the driver included does not cater for Windows 7 Service Pack properly, etc.....

Long story short..

If the driver files were easily available, computer support people will download them and manually load them for you.

Unfortunately Huawei does not have all drivers listed on their websites and even their combination driver packs does not include this particular model ID which is VID_12D1&PID_14C9.....

The new versions of VMC also does not seem to have the drivers all included for all models. 

Message 12 of 15 (14,175 Views)
evry1falls

i found the solution for (Installation RollBack) Here and it is working 100% and so easy ....

Message 13 of 15 (12,341 Views)
Richardcruiser

After trying for 3 days and spending 3/4 hour on the telephone to Vodafone I was still unable to install the K3770 on my XP system. I took the Vodafone SIM out and put it in the unlocked modem (Huawei E1550) I use in most other countries. It worked fine, except the control panel I am seeing is Celcom's (Malaysia). Yes - I had uninstalled all drivers and software associated with the Celcom modem when trying to install the K3770. It reinstalled without difficulty Why do I have spend £25 to buy a modem that I do not need and which does not work in order to get a SIM (value say £0.99) and £10 of data access? Alternatively, why are the drivers not available online?
Message 14 of 15 (8,327 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Richardcruiser,

When it comes to the drivers, these are all included in the initial installation file for the modem and VMB software.

When you install the modem and the Vodafone Mobile Broadband software this should then also install all of the necessary drivers required to use the modem.

James

Message 15 of 15 (8,304 Views)