Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K4305/ K4305-z - where can I get it?

Slatts
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hey

A few months ago I bought a Microsoft Surface RT.  Belatedly I discovered after much investigation and discussion with Microsoft tech guys only one model of mobile broadband is confirmed to work on my computer.  The K4305/ K4305-z produced only by vodacom.  However I can't buy it anywhere.

I work and live in Tanzania, Africa and vodacom stores here have never heard of the model and probably won't get it for a few more years.  I was hoping I could buy it in the UK and have a friend send it to me but so far theycan't find it. I have already wasted money on one model which I was told by the seller would work (K4505) they lied or were stupid not sure.

Does anyone know where I can get the model I need?

Don't bother replying if you have other alternativres unless you have confirmation from the Microsoft tech guys it works.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

I would personally scrap the dongle thought, and go with a MiFi device

That way it will cut out any driver issues, as your Surface will connect over WiFi, and the MiFi unit will make the connection to the internet using the SIM.

Something along the lines of the Vodafone R205/206 or the R212

No one has suggested MiFi before but as it seems less bulky than WiFi options I will look into it. 

Thanks for the suggestion

headcheese
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hello!

The new (coming in the future) devices from Vodafone should support the RNDIS/MBIM driver model. This means that their drivers are built into WIndows 8 as standard (even RT), and that you don't need to sideways install any software (which you can't do on Windows RT).

The K4305, K4305-Z, and K4201 all support the RNDIS/MBIM dirver model. It's highly likely that all future USB modems will work in this manner (bear in mind that the K5006-Z has recently started to be sold in the UK, but it doesn't support RNDIS/MBIM so won't work with your RT machine). Unfortunately none of these are available in the UK yet. From asking Vodafone UK about it I'm told that the K4201 is forthcoming, but that they haven't got a confirmed date. The situation might be different for other Vodafones outside the UK (Vodafone Germany, Vodafoen Spain etc etc) so it might be worth looking at the dongles they sell if you're desperate to get your hands on one. I'm not sure if they sell RNDIS/MBIM dongles as I've never asked.

As GrolschUK quite rightly points out a Mobile WiFi device would be an option, as it's WiFi functionality negates the need for the installation of software.

Good luck

@headcheese wrote:

Hello!

The new (coming in the future) devices from Vodafone should support the RNDIS/MBIM driver model. This means that their drivers are built into WIndows 8 as standard (even RT), and that you don't need to sideways install any software (which you can't do on Windows RT).

The K4305, K4305-Z, and K4201 all support the RNDIS/MBIM dirver model. It's highly likely that all future USB modems will work in this manner (bear in mind that the K5006-Z has recently started to be sold in the UK, but it doesn't support RNDIS/MBIM so won't work with your RT machine). Unfortunately none of these are available in the UK yet. From asking Vodafone UK about it I'm told that the K4201 is forthcoming, but that they haven't got a confirmed date. The situation might be different for other Vodafones outside the UK (Vodafone Germany, Vodafoen Spain etc etc) so it might be worth looking at the dongles they sell if you're desperate to get your hands on one. I'm not sure if they sell RNDIS/MBIM dongles as I've never asked.

As GrolschUK quite rightly points out a Mobile WiFi device would be an option, as it's WiFi functionality negates the need for the installation of software.

Good luck

Has anybody got one of these to work with Surface RT under Windows RT 8.1?

Infinidim

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi infinidim,

Apologies, we seemed to have missed your post.

Did you get everything sorted or can we help further?

Thanks,

Jenny 

No I didn't, what is the situation about supporting Vodafone dongles on Windows RT 8.1.1?

Regards

Infinidim

@Jenny wrote:

Hi infinidim,

Apologies, we seemed to have missed your post.

Did you get everything sorted or can we help further?

Thanks,

Jenny 

Infinidim

Hi infinidim,

The dongles aren't currently supported through Windows RT.

Thanks,

Matt B

@Matt_B wrote:

Hi infinidim,

The dongles aren't currently supported through Windows RT.

Thanks,

Matt B

Which dongles are supported on Windows RT?

Regards

Infinidim

Infinidim

grolschuk

I don't think any dongles are "supported" by Vodafone for use with WinRT, but if you were able to get hold of a K5150 to test, I am pretty sure it will work fine.