Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Latest Wildfire and Sky Broadband

terrymold
1: Seeker
Hi everyone

I've only had my HTC Wildfire for lees than a week, so I'm still getting used to it. And I've just come back from a weekend in Solihull, where the hotel had Free WiFi access. And to my amazement, it worked straight away, although it was a bit on the slow side.

When I got home, I tried to do the same with my Sky Broadband connection which uses a Sagem (black) wireless Router. I have setup the router as follows:

Enabled Wireless Access Point.
Allow broadcast of SSID.
Using a WEP Key for the moment.

On the HTC, I select Settings and then Wireless & networks.
On the Wireless and networks screen, Wi-Fi is Disconnected.
So I select that and it then says Turning off WiFi and it now says Turn on Wi-Fi.
When I then select Wi-Fi, it says Turning on... for a couple of seconds, then there is nothing under Wi-Fi.
And after another few seconds, it says Disconnected again.

So maybe I have to select an access point first?
In the Wi-Fi section, it has my Sky SSID as Remembered, secured with WEP.
So I select that, and select Connect.

I then leave that and connect to the Internet, but it tries to connect to a website (I think?) but after 30 seconds or so, it shows http://live.vodafone.co.uk/zr/contact and doesn't show that very well. It actually say the standard "Web page not available" message.

Does anyone know why this is happening, or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks very much just in case
Terry
2 REPLIES 2

Retired-Holly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi terrymold,

A warm welcome to the eForum!:)

Thank you for a comprehensive description of what you have tried so far.:D It looks like everything is being done correct.

So once you have clicked connect, does it acknowledge you've connected to WiFi before you leave and try the webpage? It is hasn't said your connected try double checking the WEP key.

Have you tried rebooting the router and phone? It seems simple but sometimes a simple reboot works wonders.

Thanks

Holly
eForum Team

terrymold
1: Seeker
Hi Holly

Thanks for your reply. It was actually about 30 minutes too late. I've now got it working, but I'm not exactly sure why? So I'll tell you, and anyone interested of course, what I did and what happened...

I even went into the Blackburn Vodafone office today, but they were completely unable to help. So when I got home, I had a hot chocolate in the hope that chocolate would stimulate my brain or something. I noticed I had a reply from the Sky forum and his suggestion was to set the Sky Router to "open" and see what happened.

So I tried that, but it didn't work, and it definitely say it was connected. Straight after that, I then tried one of the many "open" BT systems near me, and straight away it connected, and then said "Connected to XXXXXXX".

Then I saw your message and I was just about to check that the WEP key I was using was correct when I thought I will give WPA-PSK a try, mainly because Sky actually supply a Network Key.

So on the Wildfire, I selected my Sky SSID, entered the Network Key when asked, and almost immediately I was connected. I'm fairly sure I had tried this before, but maybe not. Old age does funny things to you sometimes.

Anyway, it's working now so thanks very much.

Terry