Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband - 3G/GPRS coverage

nathanbennett
Not applicable
Hi there,

I recently set up Mobile Broadband at my new home. All is working fine except due to the area I live in I can only get GPRS signal. The connection is painfully slow and brings back memories of 56K dial up speed!

My question is...do vodafone offer a discount on the package seeing as I am not using the dongle to it's full 3G potential? I won't be using it anywhere else apart from my home. I feel a bit miffed that I have to pay £15 a month for what seems like 56K dial up.

If this is not possible then I am hoping '3' or '02' offer a better network in my area. I still have 5 days left to cancel this contract with vodafone so if anyone can offer any thoughts asap that would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers
4 REPLIES 4

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi nathanbennett

It's a shame you're not getting a full signal :mellow:.

Have you thought about getting a Vodafone Sure Signal? It's ideal for boosting signal throughout your home :).

In regards to discounting the package, all prices are set, this is something that we would not be able to do.

Sukhi
eForum Team

nathanbennett
Not applicable

Hi nathanbennett

Have you thought about getting a Vodafone Sure Signal? It's ideal for boosting signal throughout your home :).

In regards to discounting the package, all prices are set, this is something that we would not be able to do.

Sukhi
eForum Team

Hi Sukhi

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, a boosting aerial did cross my mind but that's an extra cost then for me.

I will price things up anyway this weekend. Looks like Orange seem to have very good 3G coverage across the UK.

Cheers

Nathan

formby
4: Newbie

Hi Sukhi

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, a boosting aerial did cross my mind but that's an extra cost then for me.

I will price things up anyway this weekend. Looks like Orange seem to have very good 3G coverage across the UK.

Cheers

Nathan

Hey, it's a shame you can't get Vodafone's 3G coverage in your home as it's certainly one of the fastest out there.
Anyway, can I recommend checking out T-Mobile's network. They offer some really great prices for their mobile broadband, and I've always found their network to be ultra reliable and also really fast and comprehensive. As for Orange on the other hand, their 3G coverage is spread thinly, they seem to have excellent coverage on their coverage maps, but the likleyhood is that it's near useless - even on 3G - you'll probably be getting painfully slow speeds. Or at least that's my experience.
Also as for O2, don't even get me started, I'd rather go back to dial-up than have to put up with their network and customer service again! Long story short, if you're on O2, don't go out of the city, a large town is too small for them to bother covering with 3G. They fail, end of. :P

Hope this helps mate,
Formby. :)

jarviser
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

Hi nathanbennett

Sukhi
eForum Team

Probably need to explain that SureSignal is only for people who also have a landline broadband. It's not a signal booster, it connects 3G devices in the home to landline broadband.

By the way the link times out 504.