Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband Connection Issues

onlinewilly1963
Not applicable
Hello,

For the last month my 3G+ connection keeps grinding to a halt when I am browsing the internet.

When I first make a connection everything is fine and if I am quickly going from one web page to another or downloading something there is still no problem.

However, if I am not downloading or leave the computer alone for a minute, then when I try to connect to another web page nothing happens. The VMC Lite window still says I am connected to "Vodafone UK 3G+" but the Kbps counters just flicker and stay on 0.

If I disconnect and then connect again or switch to 2G and back to 3G it usually comes back to life until I leave it again.

The same problem does not occur if I use the 2G connection but this is too slow.

I have a Huawei E-220 USB modem, my postcode is DT4 9PY and I get a 3 bar signal for 3G+. For the last 6 months I have been getting varying speeds at all times of day but before that I could only download stuff in the middle of the night and browsing was painfully slow during the day.

I have tried deleting and reloading the VMC Lite software (V3.2.1.156) from the USB modem but this has not helped. Would it be worth trying the other software?

Can you let me know if there is a problem with the transmitters or if there could be a fault with my USB modem?
47 REPLIES 47

r.d
4: Newbie
good evening.i havent been on here for a while :) ive had my mobile broadband for nearly a year now and have encountered very few problems.until recently.my 3G signal keeps disappearing and ive noticed quite a few people are having similar problems.sometimes it takes a while to connect.when it does it works fine.then you try to load up a webpage you get an error screen saying the page cant be found.i then notice the connection has dropped.after a couple of attempts it comes back.and so on........
now,i use my laptop in my truck all around the UK and it seems to happen nearly everywhere.so it isnt postcode specific!! large scale network problems,me thinks

r.d
oh,i doubt if this helps,but i`ll chuck it in anyway..............ive got an o2 phone and the 2G connection on that has been a bit pony for the last month aswell.could this be related? maybe the whole mobile internet network is about to collapse :o

Retired-MatC
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi r.d,

Long time, no see!

It's disappointing to hear you're having these connection issues, especially as it's been working well for so long. There are a few things that might cause this issue, so I'll run through a few to see if we can help:

A) The Mobile Broadband software installed on your PC may be causing the issue - I'd recommend to make sure that you've got the newest version - you can check/download it here - Mobile Broadband (just click the relevant option under the heading Software Downloads).

B) The network itself could be causing the problems you're having, although it'd be really unusual that you'd have the same issue in so many places. Any chance you can give us an idea of some of the postcodes you've visited so that we can check how the closest cell sites (masts etc) are functioning?

C) The hardware, i.e. the modem itself, could be malfunctioning. If you know anyone with a similar unit then trying theirs would give you an idea either way if yours is likely to be broken. If need be, you can check our repairs policy by clicking the link.

Finally, I'd suggest it would be worthwhile trying your SIM in a 3G phone - if it connects to 3G then we'll know your modem or software is to blame, if it doesn't connect then it would point towards an issue with the network or possibly your SIM.

With any of these, if you let us know your findings and confirm the information requested above (software version, examples of postcode, does your SIM connect to 3G in a handset or not) then we'll do our best to sort out the issue via the most effective and efficient route :)

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

PS The issues you're having with O2's network shouldn't have any connection to ours, unless it's your van to blame for blocking the mobile phone signal! ;)

MatC
eForum Team

r.d
hi MatC,thanks for your reply another thing ive noticed when this occurs is that my connection goes (according to my wireless LAN) from local and internet to local only!! then after a while goes back to local and internet....does that help,could that indicate a hardware problem? i dont use the VMC software,i connect manually,does this matter? i dont think it does :unsure: im unsure of the post codes,i just park my truck up and surf,and yes its a truck and not a van as u suggest ;) A couple of postcodes for ya, BS30 8GG,OL10 2TT plus Banbury town centre and Nuneaton......i dont have a 3G phone or no anybody with vodafone mobile broadband..sorry.

KD
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi r.d

Thanks for the update. :)

I've checked the masts in the areas you mention and I can't see any problems around you.

Wireless LAN would normally only advise you on your WiFi availability and isn't related to the Vodafone modem.

Even if your 3G service is not strong in the area you are in you should still be able to get GPRS service. You don't have to use the VMC software but for testing puposes it would be very useful.

You can download the latest Vodafone Mobile Connect software here.

When you load it up go to Settings > Network Preference > 2G Only.

Are you able to stay connected on this service?

If you need any help with using the VMC software have a look at the Vodaofne Help Centre for loads of advice.

Let me know the results and we'll sort this for you.

B-)

Kirsty
eForum Team

onlinewilly1963
Not applicable
Hello Again

This reply is intended for both Jon eForum team and Kop1te.

Using PC operating Windows Vista

Problem exists in all 3 locations used. DT4 9PY Weymouth - Home, DT6 3LX Bridport and DT1 2JY Dorchester.

Jon, Thanks for the web form I will complete that out soonest. As a point to note, the situation did partially resolve itself and connectivity was better for a couple of weeks in late February. However from the beginning of March all the problems resurfaced. This also co-incided with my mobile handset being unable to connect to Vodafone 3G network and being restricted to emergency calls only.

I am sure there is a network problem out there. One friend did suggest could it be something to do with the switch over to digital TV. Are any of the masts shared or are there any bandwith conflicts ????????? just a thought.

Regards Al.

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Onlinewilly1963

I'm not Jon but I'll follow suit, :)

Sadly you problem seems to have resurfaced which leads me to believe that there is an issue that needs investigating further. The next step is to look into your account so we can either study the network coverage in your area, as well as the masts and ultimately raise a fault with the disconnection issue.

I've sent you an email so please reply to this as soon as you can, thanks.

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

TrippyHippy
Not applicable
Hello Again

This reply is intended for both Jon eForum team and Kop1te.

Using PC operating Windows Vista....

I am sure there is a network problem out there. One friend did suggest could it be something to do with the switch over to digital TV. Are any of the masts shared or are there any bandwith conflicts ????????? just a thought.

Regards Al.

Hi all, been reading this thread with some interest...
I too have been having similar problems, in fact the same symptoms ie VMC is saying i have a full 3G+ signal but i get a time out error on my browser (Firefox 3, IE7 and IE8) and Outlook 2003 reports "Cannot find email server". I have to disconnect and reconnect to get back online. This problem became worse at the start of the year, been onto VF 1st, 2nd and 3rd line technical, first they said my SIM was not updating so they replaced the SIM, the problem persisted so they replaced my E270 USB modem with the newer E172 USB stick, however the problem has persisted. 3rd line technical have told me that the cell is operating correctly. One interesting point is that I am only 10 miles from Sandy Heath TV transmitter...maybe this is just coincidance!

I am running a Dell XPS 1710 with Vista Home Premium SP1.
Today i received my B970 3G router....I will monitor and report if this hasn't solved the problem

r.d
thanks,kirsty im using VMClite at the mo with mozilla firefox.ive just had network time out errors on 2 and 3G.the usual error is address not found or similar.so im not sure if its my usual problem.i tried to install the update but it couldnt find my device.im positive i downloaded the right version,i even downloaded the other 2 just to check ;) the new version is dated 2007 and is 3.2.1.156.my present version is 3.2.2.182! seems like my version is newer if it goes in numerical sequence.any ideas? in reference to my wireless LAN,i meant i have an indicator at the bottom left of my desktop that tells me if im connected to the internet.if i hold my cursor over it it says `VMClite local and internet` when it plays up it reverts to `local only` why would it say that? it hasnt done it tonight...yet.

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Good Evening Trippy Hippy (love the name by the way!)

Just wanted to let you know we are monitoring this thread closely as quite a few of you are experiencing very similar problems and we have reported this issue.

Please let us know either way if it resolves the issue or not, it will be a huge help! :)

Let me know if there is anything else in the meantime.

Kay
eForum Team