Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Connect Problems (mac?)

lollypop_43
Not applicable
im having issues all of a sudden with mobile connect, once ive clicked on the icon its decided not to open and im not sure why. I would uninstall but as it stands the internet is still working and i dont really want to jeopardise that, if anyones got any ideas, thay'll be welcome???
26 REPLIES 26

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hey guys,

Just been testing this last night, and can't seem to 'not' get it to work :blink:

I've tested 10.5.5 with VMC for Mac version 2.10.02.02 (your full version number can be viewed by going to your Apple Logo > About This Mac > More Info > Applications > Software), with the E220, E172 and K3760, all picked up fine by the VMC.

Ihatebodafone has a point about keeping your applications in your Applications menu - I honestly don't even think twice about this, but it's a good point to be made.

I'm still assuming you guys can still 'connect' to the internet, regardless of the VMC. You can try uninstalling the VMC, removing the modem from the System Preferences > Network adaptor list, rebooting, and then reinstalling completely from scratch, making sure your VMC folder is snugly within your Apps folder.

Let us know how you get on, and also, can you post your modem model numbers? You can find them on the bottom of the modem, on the sticker (E220, E172, E272, K3520, K3760, K3765 for the USB range).

In answer to ihatebodafone's speculation, the software is designed by Huawei themselves so we don't have as much control over the Mac version as would be ideal. This may change in the future, but there aren't any plans as of yet to add the SMS center or a counterpart to the PC's usage counter system unfortunately.

Hope to hear from you all soon! :)

Daz

eForum Team

tonmlaw
4: Newbie
im having issues all of a sudden with mobile connect, once ive clicked on the icon its decided not to open and im not sure why. I would uninstall but as it stands the internet is still working and i dont really want to jeopardise that, if anyones got any ideas, thay'll be welcome???

Hello, Your are trying to use VMC but you don't have adminstrator access - somehow or someone may have changed your account access - Log in as adminstrator or root and then try to open VMC. If it opens go to system preferences, users and click your account and tick allow user to administer. Log out & in and try again. Let us know if it works..

g.harper
Not applicable
Hey guys,

Just been testing this last night, and can't seem to 'not' get it to work :blink:

I've tested 10.5.5 with VMC for Mac version 2.10.02.02 (your full version number can be viewed by going to your Apple Logo > About This Mac > More Info > Applications > Software), with the E220, E172 and K3760, all picked up fine by the VMC.

I'm still assuming you guys can still 'connect' to the internet, regardless of the VMC. You can try uninstalling the VMC, removing the modem from the System Preferences > Network adaptor list, rebooting, and then reinstalling completely from scratch, making sure your VMC folder is snugly within your Apps folder.

Let us know how you get on, and also, can you post your modem model numbers? You can find them on the bottom of the modem, on the sticker (E220, E172, E272, K3520, K3760, K3765 for the USB range).

Daz,

Was there a conclusion to this problem? I've suddenly acquired the same problem after 2 month's trouble-free service. The modem is working properly (USB modem pro) but Vodafone Mobile Connect (VMC) will no longer open.

System 10.5.6 all up-to-date
No recent major OS or other patches; recently installed Adobe CS4
Logged is as admin
VMC in applications folder & never moved

The app tries to launch, bouncing in the dock before settling down but never getting the 'dot' next to the icon to show it's running; eventually (> several mins) I right click on the app and force quit.

Console.app has nothing in crash reporter to shed any light.

I've re-installed VMC (2.11.02.00) to no effect - I suspect the next is a full removal of all vodafone software and drivers, but I'm not sure where they are or whether this will do more harm than good.

I wouldn't really care if there was another way of monitoring use, but as it is how do I know if Im creeping up on my monthly limit?

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Daz,

Was there a conclusion to this problem? I've suddenly acquired the same problem after 2 month's trouble-free service. The modem is working properly (USB modem pro) but Vodafone Mobile Connect (VMC) will no longer open.

System 10.5.6 all up-to-date
No recent major OS or other patches; recently installed Adobe CS4
Logged is as admin
VMC in applications folder & never moved

The app tries to launch, bouncing in the dock before settling down but never getting the 'dot' next to the icon to show it's running; eventually (> several mins) I right click on the app and force quit.

Console.app has nothing in crash reporter to shed any light.

I've re-installed VMC (2.11.02.00) to no effect - I suspect the next is a full removal of all vodafone software and drivers, but I'm not sure where they are or whether this will do more harm than good.

I wouldn't really care if there was another way of monitoring use, but as it is how do I know if Im creeping up on my monthly limit?

Hi Gwynne,

The bouncing icon issue is usually a permissions problem. Have you tried logging in as root and opening the program from there?

If you need instructions on how to do this, let me know and I can provide a step-by-step guide :)

The best way to track your usage is to sign up for online billing on vodafone.co.uk

Jon

eForum Team

g.harper
Not applicable
Hi Gwynne,

The bouncing icon issue is usually a permissions problem. Have you tried logging in as root and opening the program from there?

If you need instructions on how to do this, let me know and I can provide a step-by-step guide :)

The best way to track your usage is to sign up for online billing on vodafone.co.uk

Jon,

No luck - I've looked at the app permissions with chmod & they are all fine. No surprise therefore that neither sudo open "Vodafone Mobile Connect.app" or trying to launch from full root login work - it still hangs in the dock.

Thanks for the second suggestion to check use via online billing; perhaps you can tell me how to set this up? The web page asks for my telephone number, then as a security check it sends a text to that number which I need to read. As it's a modem, not a handset, I've got no way of seeing that text and therefore cannot activate the online service. I did phone customer service about this; they acknowledged the problem but had no solution to offer.

Gwynne

KD
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi Gwynne

I'm sorry you're still struggling with this. :(

The easiest way to get around this is by putting your SIM card from the modem into a phone and then registering.

All SIMS have a mobile number, if you don't know yours you can get it by dialing *#100# when the SIM is in a phone.

I'm sure this will solve it for you. :)

B-)

Kirsty
eForum Team

g.harper
Not applicable
Hi Gwynne

I'm sorry you're still struggling with this. :(

The easiest way to get around this is by putting your SIM card from the modem into a phone and then registering.

All SIMS have a mobile number, if you don't know yours you can get it by dialing *#100# when the SIM is in a phone.

I'm sure this will solve it for you. :)

1. It solves nothing, as all mobiles are tied to the origin networks; my two are Virgin and O2; neither will read the card & I don't know anyone with a Vodafone. I might try in a retail store, but that really defeats the point of internet billing, don't you think?

2. You also avoid the point of my original post - what else can I do to get this rather flakey bit of software to work? Given these documented issues I do not wish to be held accountable if I go over a limit I have no way of seeing, and if VMC actually worked I wouldn't need to see the online bill.

Gwynne

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hey there Gwynne,

I completely understand your frustration on this :wacko: :(

Well, I've had no further insight into what causes this (I'm on 10.5.6 as well), but can I ask a few things please?

- Is your VMC installed in your Applications folder?
- Have you tried the uninstalling via the VMC installer, then reinstalling (as opposed to re-writing over it)?

I'm inclined to think that something has indeed happened to cause this... but as to what... I'm not really sure I'm afraid. :(

You may want to try clearing the Parameter RAM (PRAM for short) or cache memory (via a 3rd party app) if you havn't done so already - see the official Apple support page on details how to do this. It may help, so please let us know! :)

Daz

eForum Team

g.harper
Not applicable
Hey there Gwynne,

I completely understand your frustration on this :wacko: :(

Well, I've had no further insight into what causes this (I'm on 10.5.6 as well), but can I ask a few things please?

- Is your VMC installed in your Applications folder?
- Have you tried the uninstalling via the VMC installer, then reinstalling (as opposed to re-writing over it)?

I'm inclined to think that something has indeed happened to cause this... but as to what... I'm not really sure I'm afraid. :(

You may want to try clearing the Parameter RAM (PRAM for short) or cache memory (via a 3rd party app) if you havn't done so already - see the official Apple support page on details how to do this. It may help, so please let us know! :)

Success; I hadn't noticed the uninstaller before I used that, ran Onyx to clear all the system housekeeping tasks then re-installed. It now works as i should, so many thanks for the helpful reply.

Is anyone going to review the security procedure for setting up web account access? It stil seems rather an odd way of going about things such that I cannot open the account without a vodafone handset. Nonetheless, it's a minor point in the big scheme of things & to provide balance I'm pleased with the stability and speed of the connection itself.

Gwynne

Onyx:
<http://www.titanium.free.fr/>

ijones
Not applicable
Hi All.
Sounds like I've the same problem.
The USB stick worked fine til last week.
Now when I launch the iocon it bounces for about 2 minutes.
The VMC stick connects fine and I can open browser and get full speed data transfer.
I cannot get the VMC window to open. (I usualy use this to check signal 3G strength and when abroad use the menu to browse other available networks and connect manualy).
I cannot open the VMC menu at the top of the screen. This also means I cannot quit VMC and the mac will not shut down until I do. I therefore have to force quit the software each time.

I'm a Macbook Pro user.
E172 USB Stick
I've read through all the comss on this and tried the following.
1. Updated OS to version 10.5.6
2. Tried reinstalling latest VMC software online.
3. Checked user admin. Loged out- loged back in.
4. Removed VMC from the modem list.
Question..
Where can I find the un-installer (in the install software prog) talked about?
Which version of VMC should we now be using? (currently trying Ver 2.08.05.04 for mac)

Any ideas? IAN