Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New R212 MiFi Not Loading Pages On HSUPA

ramtab
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi Team,

I have the new 4G Ready R212 MiFi device which switches all the time between 3G+ and HSUPA.

When on 3G+ browsing and performance is perfect, however when is switches to HSUPA I essentially lose internet connection as browsing, email refresh etc just does not happen (usually get page cannot be loaded error) - even when on 5 bars HSUPA.

Why is this and what can be done to remedy?

Thanks

78 REPLIES 78

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi guys,

GSR, atownsend147 and jvinc - I'm getting this sent to the email addressed on your eForum profiles.

inisfad - There is no general network issue with HSUPA bleeding. This is a specifc issue with the R212 which this update should resolve.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm getting the same problems described above in the Leeds area. Would you send me a link to the update too?

Much appreciated,
Simon.

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Sbaumber, 

It's on it's way. :smileywink:

Kay

Hokay,

I've had a chance to play with the new firmware (v3.5) and it seems to do the job, no HSUPA lockups over an extended test of about 4 hours.

Signal level during testing was a healthy 5 bars from 5.

First test was my usual pinging out to a known good numeric IP address and over a continuous period of 3 hours there was less than 1% ping loss which I think is fine for low priority traffic.

Second test was an hour of streaming internet radio which was break free plus pinging out which returned 0.1% ping loss.

Normal browsing was successful.

Monitoring the device status page whilst this was going on showed that connections still swap between 3G, 3G+ and HSUPA at intervals which I have no problem with as there is no need for me to hog a priority channel if I don't have a lot of data to push or pull.

During 3G/3G+ connections the ping times were between 65 and 80ms but were a lot longer on HSUPA, 250 - 450 ms being the norm but with a few over a second in there too. I have no idea why this is or whether it is important.

Based on these tests I'd say that this release is ready to go and would recommend the upgrade to anyone who is experiencing this problem and who has not taken a hammer to the device in frustration.

Thanks go out to the forum tech team here for putting us in touch with the problem solvers and leading us to a solution, particular thanks go to James who has been main contact here and to advanced tech Sajid who I've been doing some testing with.

Let's hope this goes to general release soon and is widely publicised.

Finally, I am surprised to hear recent contributors saying they have just bought the unit and are experiencing the lockup problem. As it became known that this product contained catastrophically flawed firmware that makes it unusable in half the country, I would have expected it to be pulled but it seems that is not the way it works, more is the pity.

Thanks,

R212b

Hi everyone,

Firstly, my apologies for the delay in replying to you all. For some reason, we’ve not been alerted to your posts.

Hi R212brick and jvinc,

Many thanks for the update, it’s great to see the new firmware has fixed your issue for you.

Hi DVB and middletg,

I’ve sent the firmware to your forum registered email addresses so let me know how you go on.

Hi ChrisG3,

Are you a Vodafone UK customer using a UK supplied R212 or did you get it from South Africa?

If it’s a South African one, you’d need to contact the network there for the firmware.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew,

Thank you very much. Update applied, device is now working properly. As an added bonus, reception seems to have improved.

Thanks again.

Vyacheslav

Hi James/Tech Team

I recently bought a R212 and while I get fast download and upload speeds on 4G, browsing the web is very slow as it seems to spend all its time doing slow DNS look ups.  Please can you send me the firmware update so I can see if this resolves the issue.

Thanks

Gordon

Hi James. I have the same issue with my vodafone R212. Could you please mail me the V3.5 firmware update. I am from South Africa. Would the update affect my network settings? Thank you

Good luck to everyone - personally am still waiting for a response.

Hi James, A merry Christmas to you and yours!

My router is desparately in need of the V3.5 firmware.

Had a techhie out on Monday with no clue!?

Would you kindly forward the firmware link to <removed for security>

Thanks a mil

Henk