Support:

Mobile Broadband

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
splotchy

Nokia X6 - How to use Nokia x6 as a modem?

I need to use my nokia x6 as a modem with my netbook. I was very disappointed there were no instructions with the phone, or any easy-to-find ones on the vodafone website or personal account page.

I am not a techie and will need very simple instructions for how to set up the nokia as a modem! Can anyone help?
Message 1 of 7 (6,485 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
welshrosco

Im not sure with this phone menu hopefully u r found this from a post on nokia forum.
Try this
Connect the phone in MTP mode.
Wait whilst it installs drivers or fails.
Go to windows device manager, remove all entries related to the X6/Nokia.
Disconnect the phone and reboot the PC.
Try to connect again, but don't run WMP to give it time to sort the drivers out.
Message 2 of 7 (6,485 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
welshrosco

Sorry was reading another post put my phone down and it copied over what i typed. Anyway. Have u tried using the pc suite that comes with the phone as this may have the feature in it. Some phones when plugged in to the pc show an options window might have what ur looking for.
Message 3 of 7 (6,485 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Hi splotchy,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always great to see new faces on here :).

As welshrosco has said, I'd recommend using the PC Suite that came with your Nokia, it should be fairly straightforward. If this doesn't work though, I'd recommend setting up a manual dial-up connection as follows:

-With the phone plugged into a USB port go to the Start Menu
-Go to the Control Panel
-Go to Phone and Modem Options
-Click the Modems Tab (Fill in the location info if it asks for it)
-Highlight the Nokia Modem and click properties
-Click the Advanced Tab (On Vista or Windows 7, you'll need to click "Change Settings" first)
-In the Extra Initialisation Command Field type in at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet" and press OK
-Go back to the Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Centre (Network Connections on XP)
-Create a New Dial-Up Internet Connection with the following settings
-Phone number: *99#
-Username: web
-Password: web
-Account Name: Vodafone

Once you've done this, you'll be able to connect with it again by going to Start > Connect To.

Let me know how you get on :).

George
eForum Team
Message 4 of 7 (6,485 Views)
deletejb

Hi splotchy,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always great to see new faces on here :).

As welshrosco has said, I'd recommend using the PC Suite that came with your Nokia, it should be fairly straightforward. If this doesn't work though, I'd recommend setting up a manual dial-up connection as follows:

-With the phone plugged into a USB port go to the Start Menu
-Go to the Control Panel
-Go to Phone and Modem Options
-Click the Modems Tab (Fill in the location info if it asks for it)
-Highlight the Nokia Modem and click properties
-Click the Advanced Tab (On Vista or Windows 7, you'll need to click "Change Settings" first)
-In the Extra Initialisation Command Field type in at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet" and press OK
-Go back to the Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Centre (Network Connections on XP)
-Create a New Dial-Up Internet Connection with the following settings
-Phone number: *99#
-Username: web
-Password: web
-Account Name: Vodafone

Once you've done this, you'll be able to connect with it again by going to Start > Connect To.

Let me know how you get on :).

George
eForum Team

I have the same problem and have tried the above but at last stage of setting up dial-up connection it said modem not found. I think I'm missing something out.
Message 5 of 7 (6,485 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Hi deletejb,

If you've followed the guide above then you shouldn't be encountering any issues. I'd recommend ensuring that the modem you're selecting when setting up the dial-up connection is the same as the modem that you entered the initialisation command for. If it is the same, then it may be worth trying your Nokia in a different USB port as it's possible that Windows may not be detecting it correctly.

Give that a go and let me know how you get on :).

George
eForum Team
Message 6 of 7 (6,485 Views)
deletejb

Hi deletejb,

If you've followed the guide above then you shouldn't be encountering any issues. I'd recommend ensuring that the modem you're selecting when setting up the dial-up connection is the same as the modem that you entered the initialisation command for. If it is the same, then it may be worth trying your Nokia in a different USB port as it's possible that Windows may not be detecting it correctly.

Give that a go and let me know how you get on :).

George
eForum Team

This is really annoying - I have been able to use my modem about 3 times each time I restart my computer I cant connect again. Tried again last night by uninstalling the Nokia OVI suite and put it on again, I was able to get on the internet via mobile modem tried several times and worked every time - but alas this morning I'm back to being unable to use it. When I was logging on to the net it did say I needed a hotfix 925681 - I cant fine the download any where - plenty posts about it, none very helpful. My os is Vista. I do realise that it must be a window/nokia glitch but any help would be most welcome.

Jan
Message 7 of 7 (6,485 Views)