cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PAYG Mobile Broadband - Is My SIM Active?

raul69
Not applicable
Hi all

I've recently acquired a vodafone mobile broadband sim from a friend. It's one of the ones which has 1gb of data which doesn't expire.

I'm trying to use it with the built in 3G card of my Asus UL30 laptop but am having a bit of difficulty. I've put the sim in and installed VMC but it just says 'device switched off' and won't let me connect etc.

Is there any way of telling if the sim has been activated? Do i need to phone up vodafone to check/activate it or get username/password and settings etc? It came in a little envelope with a mobile number on so not sure if that helps?

Any advice you guys can give me really would be appreciated as i'm starting to tear my hair out trying to get it to work! At least if i know the sim card is fully working etc that would narrow it down a bit.

Cheers!
3 REPLIES 3

jarviser
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

Hi all

I've recently acquired a vodafone mobile broadband sim from a friend. It's one of the ones which has 1gb of data which doesn't expire.

I'm trying to use it with the built in 3G card of my Asus UL30 laptop but am having a bit of difficulty. I've put the sim in and installed VMC but it just says 'device switched off' and won't let me connect etc.

Is there any way of telling if the sim has been activated? Do i need to phone up vodafone to check/activate it or get username/password and settings etc? It came in a little envelope with a mobile number on so not sure if that helps?

Any advice you guys can give me really would be appreciated as i'm starting to tear my hair out trying to get it to work! At least if i know the sim card is fully working etc that would narrow it down a bit.

Cheers!

Some more info may help answer this.

Is there the dongle that the SIM originally came with so you can try it out using the same laptop? That would help isolate the problem.

How long since it was last used on the internet?

raul69
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply, nope it came just as a sim card on its own. I've checked with my mate and he says he hasn't used it for the internet at all, just checked it worked a couple of weeks ago before passing it on.

I'll do a bit more digging, i'm just tryin to work out whether it's the Sim or the WWAN built in card that needs activating (which i haven't got a clue how to do! ha ha)

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Jonaldo and welcome to the eForum

Thanks for your post here. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with this.

As long as your mate was able to get it working when he had the SIM a couple of weeks ago then there shouldn't be a problem with the SIM card. Also, if it was the SIM card that is causing this problem you would at least be able to get to the point where you click 'connect' this is the point at which it would fail.

Please let me know if you have any more questions and we'll be happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team