Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

R201 connection problem

addo
2: Seeker

Hi

I've recently had problems trying to get this R201 connected with my Macbook Pro.  Each time I attempt to connect to it all I get is a connection time out error.  I've currently got WPA enabled of which I've tried changing but with no success - I've even turned the encryption off but it still does not connect.  I can connect to it with my iPad so at least I know it works and it also works if I use the USB cable.  I've downloaded and eventually got the new firmware installed but that didn't make any difference.  So it looks like a compatibility issue between this and OSX?

I've searched the boards but nothing, looks like support for this device is pretty scare it seems even for Windows!

Many thanks in advance

23 REPLIES 23

addo

Seems like I was wrong, I cannot now connect to either the iPad or iPhone with this now.  Looks like I have a nice white shiny door wedge with a red flashy light.  This could be  just a mac/Apple WiFi thing as it does work with the USB cable to my laptop but defeats the object of having a wireless access point.

I'm running Snow Leopard and the latest 4.3 iOS

I take it I'll need to phone customer services?

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi addo,

Many thanks for your post regarding the R201 Mobile WiFi device not connecting with either of your Apple products. I can imagine this is hugely frustrating for you, and agree that it's not much of a wireless device if you have to connect it via USB!!

Is it possible you could try alternative machines, for example, a Windows device?

Can you confirm that the network doesn't even appear in your networks list? If this is the case, take a look at this article: 

When using Vodafone Mobile Wifi R201 my network does not appear in the wireless network list.

If it won't connect to anything, then I'd say the device could be faulty and our General FAQ's thread will give you information on getting it repaired.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi Lee

I'm afraid I don't have anything with windows installed other than a desktop PC but that it hardwired networking wise.  The network that the R201 creates is visible in the list of wireless networks however I receive a 'unable to join the network' message on the iPad whereas I know that it certainly did work recently.  On the Macbook Pro I only receive a network timeout error.

Looks like a trip to the nearest Voda shop is on the cards.  I presume that it will be sent away for possible repair and not replaced? 

I've got the same issue....

it used to work, for a couple of weeks when i got the R201 initially but now wont connect from 10.6.6 macbook pro

also drops my iphone connection and ipad connecion..!! 

will try a windows laptop in a bit, 

Ive updated the firmware on the R201 as well.

just checked & cant even connect (from iPhone or MBP) when security is set to None!!

iPad seems happy connecting, though security is still at None

Glad I'm not the only one having issues!

Quick update - for some reason this thing has decided to start working.  I managed to find a windows box and that managed to connect with no issue, then tried one of my macs and it connected without the previous issues.  Strange... But hey it's working and now I can surf at dial up speeds again! 

Edited to mention my iPhone can also connect...maybe the planets are aligned today?

I am having the same issues connecting to the R201 with Iphone and macbook air.

Windows 7 PC connects no problem. So it is working....but not with apple stuff. 

It was all working ok last weekend! No changes have been made on any device to stop it from working.

Apple software is the same release. Very annoying. 

I've got a MacBook Pro, too and I get timeout errors.  However my MBP connects wirelessly.  It is seems that the Mac just can't handle the password I set up or the one that came with it as a default.  This means it cannot be stored in the keychain.  Howeve my iPhone and iPad connect properly with no errors.  I am running 10.7.2 and it doesn't seem to be any different to what people are saying about Snow Leopard.  

Anyone figure out how to get around the display of the timeout errors which really connect?

Thanks.

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi whak.

I don't believe there's any general issue with the R201 in general with any Apple products or any other device.

This thread is quite old, and we haven't had any further instances of this issue in a long while.

Is it just connection to the R201 that this happens or is it also when connecting to other WiFi sources?

Trev