Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

R216 hotspot no 4G EVER

Mike_doh
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

I recently purchased an R216 (made by huawei) portable WIFI Hotspot.

Since I have had it I have been in many locations and NOT ONCE has it had 4G service.  If you switch it to 4G only in the settings it doesnt even connect.

This includes areas that Vodafones connection map claims has "excellent" 4G signal both indoors and outdoors.

Very frustrating as 3G and 3G+ is pretty slow. (achieves 8mbit up 0.5mbit down)

What is the problem?

I'm on 30GB rolling monthly contract not Pay as you go if that makes a difference.

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

The network checker is an indication and not a guarantee of signal and speeds unfortunately. 

It wouldnt matter wether a person is on contract or payg in regards to 4G. 

If this was my situation if see if I could try the sim in another device or phone to see what signal is then attained. 

As you say it's happening anywhere you go this could point to..

Account issue. Customer services can check. 

SIM card issue. Any Vodafone can exchange it via a sim swap. 

Device issue. A VodafoneHighstreet store can look at it for you. 

If it's under 30 days of ownership then Vodafone can swap it.out for a new one. If over 30 days then it's a repair. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@anttiman From @BandOfBrothers post above: 

BandOfBrothers wrote: 

Account issue. Customer services can check. 

SIM card issue. Any Vodafone can exchange it via a sim swap. 

Device issue. A VodafoneHighstreet store can look at it for you. 

If it's under 30 days of ownership then Vodafone can swap it.out for a new one. If over 30 days then it's a repair. 

Once you've tried these steps, please let us know how you get on. 

Our Live Chat team can check your account and assist further. 

I have the same problem with my R216. It has never ever been able to make a 4g connection. It would seem however that although a number of others with this type of router have the same issues not all routers of this model have this issue. My work has recently issued me with a Vodafone R216 for work purposes and it nearly always gets a 4g signal but my own personal R216 never gets 4g connection.

I have contacted Vodafone by live chat 3 times today and by telephone and none of the troubleshooting steps have worked for me. In the last call the customer advisor said that he knew what was wrong and that he would be escalating this to another team who will apparently fix the problem and either phone or text me. He could not however seem to explain to me what the problem is and I am not at all confident that the problem will be fixed remotely. I think the unit is faulty and it has been faulty from day one. 

If I get a resolution to my problem I shall let you know if they explain it to me.

Will
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @DL3

We'll be happy to look into this for you. I've sent you a private message with the details on how to get in contact with us.

Thanks,

Will

anttiman
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have the same problem with two Huawei Mobile WiFi routers. They connect to 3G, but never nor anywhere in UK to the 4G. Vodafone store personnels can not help. They keep on saying that it should work. 
3G is the only network it connects to. With any of the 4G options no connection.

The same routers work in other countries just fine in 4G and LTE, but not in Vodafone UK network.

I have purchased two 25 pound 15GB SIMs and neither of them connect to 4G and Vodafone stores are unable to help nor return the money.

This is really frustrating.