Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router To Router Vpn Using Usb Modem

garcol
Not applicable
I need to set up a VPN from a Draytek 2820 router using only a Vodafone L3565 USB (on monthly contract) to another Draytek 2820 Router using ADSL.
My problem is the way NAT is implemented over the Vodafone network prevents me from connecting the two - using a dynamic dns does not help.
Does anybody know of a way this can be achieved at router level?
What I am trying to achive is the connection of remote cameras at temporary sites to a central point. This would not be a problem using ADSL but the nature of the sites means that an ADSL connection is not feasible.
I am using the internet APN to connect to the Internet.

Thanks for any suggestions,
11 REPLIES 11

dudmangroupltd
Not applicable
I have received my Vigor 2820n today and I have the router-to-router VPN working and passing data via Vodafone 3G back to my Sonicwall connected to ADSL.

IMO the lan-to-lan VPN setup is tricky compared to Sonicwall, but I guess when you've been used to one brand, it's just understanding how the other do it...

So, in summary, it is possible to create a router-to-router IPSEC vpn using a Vodafone 3G stick, even though it gives the router a private IP address, the NAT-T functionality of the two routers allow the connection to be made and pass data between them.

hi i got my 4g to static BT vpn to work.

The remote office was on a billion router on a 192.168.5.x network.

The office with 4G was plugged into a billion router wich was configured with 192.168.1.50

I plugged this into  my main router with local address of 192.168.1.2 and then created a static route so all traffic for 192.168.5.x network went via the 192.168.1.50 interface,

A bit quirky but it was the only way i got a stable connection with the equipment I had.