cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SIM only data - Global Roaming - confusion, chaos, beware!

simoncor
3: Seeker

First to say - I travel a lot and Vodafone is great. EuroTraveller and WorldTraveller have served me very well, big thumbs up for Global Roaming.

28 April I renewed my SIM only phone contract after 12 months (better price, and another 12 months of Sky Sport) it is now: SIMO13 12M EN UTM 20GB. It has 'Global Roaming' which is excellent for me. Happy.

So happy - I decided to ditch my '3' SIM only data card for Vodafone. When I travel in Europe with my mobile WiFi hotspot - 4G no throttle, and take the UK allowance ('3' not 4G 'feel at home' and very throttled). So in the same call I bought a Vodafone SIM only 12 months data. On 28 April.

I was a bit confused when my bill came and said 20GB (I thought I'd bought 15GB)... and looking on the website, I could see no 20GB package. Well - turns out my new SIM only data contract for 12 months is a "telephone special" - with no Global Roaming. 4G MBB SIM 12 20GB

Customer services today sort of helpful - I've been 'allowed' to 'cancel' my 20GB no Global Roaming contract. And recommended to by a new one from the internet, which will have Global Roaming. The operator agreed the 20GB no Global Roaming was mis-sold. I've wasted 40 Squids or so, and some of my precious time.

Apparently the clue is in the '12' - one needs a version '13' SIM for Global Roaming, and this is in the nature of the actual SIM card and cannot be changed in the account.

But the Vodafone website clearly states: "...all our new 4G Data SIMs come with Vodafone Global Roaming, giving you the freedom to use your UK data in 100 destinations worldwide. There’s no extra charge to use your UK data allowance in our 40 Roam-free destinations [PDF:620KB]"

Not apparently the new 4G data SIM I purchased on 28 April. Seems to me this is a recipie for chaos and confusion. Vodafone (not a dodgy corner shop) are selling SIM cards over the phone that don't match the website offers in the most fundamental way.

Boo

3 REPLIES 3

simoncor

Apparently I was misinformed... it's fine for Global Roaming...  it did seem rather odd!

(And I was misinformed at great length !)

63johnw
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @simoncor, the way I understand it is that in the 40 euro zone countries it's free to use your home allowance of texts data and calls, then in another 60 countries you can use your home allowance for £5 per day, the total is 100 and this is global roaming, it's not free for all global roaming.