Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Software reports "no network" when there is a strong signal

Paul772
2: Seeker

The Vodafone Mobile Broadband softare on my laptop reports that the device has been found but that no network has been found. Yet a family member's phone shows maximum strength Vodafone signal and the dongle itself shows a flashing green light, which signifies that a connection is avialable. 

5 REPLIES 5

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Paul772,

Welcome to the eForum. :Smiling:

Different devices can have different strength aerials, so there may be slight differences.

So we can rule out a fault with the dongle or SIM, try the steps in our Network Troubleshooting thread.

If you are still experiencing the issue after completing these steps, post the template with your answers here and I'll have a member of the team get back to you ASAP. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers, Ben

Ben, I have some more information. It appears that there is a problem with the following drivers: 

7&5aec9d&2&0001-00

7&5aec9d&2&0001-01

7&5aec9d&2&0002-00

7&5aec9d&2&0003-00

I have tried re-installing, but while the rest of the software installs just fin, the installation of these drivers returns the message "device unplugged" (it clearly isn't, as the signal light is flashing).

I downloaded the Vodafone Mobile Broadband software from the Vodafone website and was using a Windows 7 account with full administrator rights.

Hi Paul772,

Could you please try one of the working SIM cards in your dongle.

This will rule out any hardware fault with it.

Let us know how you get on and we'll be in a better position to assist.

Thanks,

Matt B

Ben, I will have to acquire one tomorrow. I will post again late tomorrow morning.

Paul772

Ben, thank you for your comment.

The problem appeared when I started to re-use the device after a long period of non-use.

The problem exists in every location I have tried - including my home (BS48 1UP) and several city spots in and around BS1.

I appreciate that different devices have varying signal sensitivities, but here we are talking about a "no network" message from the dongle when the family member's Vodafone-network phone has 5-bar reception. It is difficult to imagine any other situation where the dongle would work. And the dongle itself is indicating that a connection is avialable (albeit the green light for GPRS).

Paul