Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange Data Usage

JR55
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I took out a 50gb/month mobile broadband contract a week ago expecting a low level of data usage.  After just a week we have used over 9gb of data and wonder how this can have happened as we don't use catch up TV, netflix or anything like that.  Interrogation of our BT router shows we were using about 10gb/month via BT.  I have looked at the bundle usage and can see 7 instances where around 960mb of data has been used - sometimes when we have been out/in bed!  This looks very odd to me!  I have seen a big thread on here about this - was it ever resolved what was causing this data usage?  Was it a Vodafone equipment/billing issue?  I have successfully applied the data cap so at least I wont rack up a charge for out of bundle usage.  Anyone got an answer to this usage??  Cheers,  John

16 REPLIES 16

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JR55

Please check for any open apps or internet pages running in the background.

If you’re use Facebook and its set up to auto play videos, this will use more data. Also streaming apps, such as You Tube, listening to music and the radio.

If you’ve got push email set up, it will constantly be scanning for new emails coming through.

Looking at the usage you’ve used in the first week, if it was to stay the same for the rest of the month, you should stay within your allowance. :smileyhappy:

Thanks for coming bak to me Gemma, I know I should just about stay within the monthly allowance - but it would be nice to be able to stream some catchup TV/iPlayer some times!  I am currently 'on the hunt' for where this data is going - no Youtube or other type of streaming going on.  It is just these uses of 960mb at certain times which are the issue.  How was it resolved in the end on the 'other' large thread about this?

Cheers

John

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JR55 - Usually, laptop updates like antivirus software can use a lot of data – it may be worth checking when these are scheduled for.

Also, if you run things like ad blockers, use skype or send or receive large files, this could be using more data too.

Hi John - Until VF take this seriously and stop waffling about using this data - then this is going to get even sillier - i realised that i could only talk to Vf employees who hadn't the power or will to want to do anything but deny it. fortunately i took the dongle straight back within a week and  Pc world /currys cancelled the contract - yet to see what Vf try and do - probably try and sue me.  best of luck mate - Phil

In my case it seems to be a Microsoft problem.  Since I told my wife to disconnect the wifi on her Windows 10 laptop when not using it there hasn't been an issue!  My Apple Macbook and 2 Android phones are permanently connected to the wifi without resulting in the strange data useage.

Cheers

John

That's very interesting John - just the sort of thing VF should be looking into. We have Win 10 on both a laptop and desktop computer. How long has your dongle run now without a hitch?? - regards - Phil

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JR55 Thanks for updating us with this.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Hi Phil,

In the first 5 days of having the mobile wifi I had 7 instances of strange useage of data.  For the past 12 days with wifi turned off the Windows 10 laptop when not in use there have been no instances - seems pretty conclusive to me that it is an issue with Windows 10.  Data useage now averages 0.8gb/day over the 17 days of use - clearly it is less over the 12 days without the strange data disappearence.

Cheers

John

Further to the above, average useage over the last 12 days has been 0.43gb/day which equates to 12.8gb over a month which is more in line with what I was expecting.  This gives scope for some TV/film streaming!

Cheers

John