Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

jeffdawson78
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've very recently - 9 days ago - signed up to Vodafone mobile broadband 50GB plan using there mifi mobile router for use at home on my boat with our laptops.

As I have not used this before I have been keen to see how the speeds compare to my old Plusnet broadband and keep an eye on data usage.

I was therefore very surprised to see my account saying I had used 13GB of data over 2 nights! I checked the usage breakdown and saw a number of very strange readings of the same amount at small intervals:

16 Jan 2107
18:34  990.03 MB
19:33 990.03 MB
21:07 967.97 MB
21:25 990.03 MB
21:41 967.97 MB
21:57 765.02 MB
22:10 967.97 MB
22:30 199.16 MB

17 Jan 2017
07:09 11.49 MB
20.21 990.03 MB
20:35 967.97 MB
20:49 990.03 MB
21:05 967.97 MB
21:21 495.01 MB
21;28 967.97 MB
21:47 990.03 MB

22:05 234.86 MB 

On the 16 I did download a couple of shows from iplayer (approx 1.5GB) but nothing to use anywhere near that much data. 

I called the supprot line this morning but whilst courteous weren't able to do anything other than suggest visiting a store.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice!

349 REPLIES 349

Rahim

Chat has been un-attended every time I tried it last week and I have been told many times that I cannot query the data usage until it has been billed. Even though I have had to pay for it!

No idea if your system is fabricating usage but I fully beleive the usage shown is wrong and, as other have said, if I had been able to monitor or cap the usage I would have switched it off before 50Gb not a week later at 72 when it was too late.

Elaines35
JeffDawson it's in my Vodafone. Manage you extras>manage data> UK data cap. Try and switch it on and let us know the outcome

Elaines35
Rahim I contacted the complaints team was they were unwilling to listen to my argument. Do you nto think the reoccurring data amount's are a bit strange ? Some of mines and Jeff's matched to the exact 100th of a mb. All my devices were on sleep and I'm unable to find what would have used 13gb or so overnight. I have set my streaming apps to the lowest resoultion, so they wouldn't have used the data that has racked up if they had of been left on by mistake.amazon video uses 0.6gb per hour on the lowest setting.. Plus a movie lasts on average 1h30m therefore would have stopped. Also if this non functional cap had of been applied as I wished there would have been no over run. All I wish is for the full amount to be credited and the cap applied.

Elaines35
I was able to raise a complaint and query the usage before the bill was generated.

My Vodafone is ineffective and the app doesn't work because the sim has to be in the device that the app is installed on. With ee the app could be installed on any device and I logged into my account and got real time usage data. As my sim is in a Huawei hub , any service or data usage mesages are sent to the hub and unless I am checking it continously I don't see the messages. Perhaps if Vodafone could send the messages to another number at least the bills could be stopped sooner. Tom your usage seemed to spike like mines but Vodafone are refusing to acknowledge there might be an issue. As explained earlier I have to be very careful about data usage as I'm aware streaming/downloading can use a lot if data. I have all my devices set to use as little as possible so that's the reason I'm sure the usage log is wrong in my case.

Elaines35
My EE data sim came capped as standard. Once the 32gb was gone I topped up when I needed.

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Which is exactly how your Vodafone one should work, if the data cap had worked correctly! 😡

Elaines35
Correct👍

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Elaines35 I'm glad to hear you've been in contact with our advisers regarding this. Has this now been resolved for you? 

@TomW500 So we can offer further help, I've sent you a private message with details of how to get in touch with us. 

Colleen

Done that and while I await a response may I just say thanks for sending that. It is the only sign of anyone at Vodafone showing any interest in this in more than a week since I started trying to sort it out.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@TomW500 I'm very sorry to hear this. We'll be happy to help in any way we can and will be in touch as soon as possible.