Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

jeffdawson78
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've very recently - 9 days ago - signed up to Vodafone mobile broadband 50GB plan using there mifi mobile router for use at home on my boat with our laptops.

As I have not used this before I have been keen to see how the speeds compare to my old Plusnet broadband and keep an eye on data usage.

I was therefore very surprised to see my account saying I had used 13GB of data over 2 nights! I checked the usage breakdown and saw a number of very strange readings of the same amount at small intervals:

16 Jan 2107
18:34  990.03 MB
19:33 990.03 MB
21:07 967.97 MB
21:25 990.03 MB
21:41 967.97 MB
21:57 765.02 MB
22:10 967.97 MB
22:30 199.16 MB

17 Jan 2017
07:09 11.49 MB
20.21 990.03 MB
20:35 967.97 MB
20:49 990.03 MB
21:05 967.97 MB
21:21 495.01 MB
21;28 967.97 MB
21:47 990.03 MB

22:05 234.86 MB 

On the 16 I did download a couple of shows from iplayer (approx 1.5GB) but nothing to use anywhere near that much data. 

I called the supprot line this morning but whilst courteous weren't able to do anything other than suggest visiting a store.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice!

349 REPLIES 349

Nabs
17: Community Champion
@Elaines35 I recall a while ago there may have been an issue with some yahoo addresses being blocked by the form. I'm wondering id this issue has reoccured...
Do you have an alternative email address (not yahoo) that you could use?

Elaines35
4: Newbie
@nabs you were correct. My live.com worked

Hi @Elaines 35 adn @Carly.

Since contacting Vodafone re setting the data cap the option to set a UK data cap has been removed from Myvodafone options as fro Elaines35

Despite, as I posted that the tech team said the data cap is not avaialbel on mobile boradband accounts The Vodafone website still says as Carly repeated that mobile broadband deals bought after 28 September 2016 have UK data capping as an option.

Either I am not getting the necessary features on my contract that I should be or Vodafone are providing wrong information.

As this mess continues can I ask if anyone else can see thier unbilled data on the useless Vodafone website. I was told to monitor usage to avoid going over the limit again but it shows no use since 23rd Jan.!

It surely cannot be beyond the ability of someone at Vodafone to copy other mobile providers and make a cap available. Is it just me that thinks it is just too profitable for them to let us all run up vast bills?  

Nabs

@TomW500 wrote:

It surely cannot be beyond the ability of someone at Vodafone to copy other mobile providers and make a cap available. Is it just me that thinks it is just too profitable for them to let us all run up vast bills?  

It, unfortunately, at this point in time, does appear to be beyond the ability of Vodafone to provide such a simple service!

I don't think it's anything about profit, more about the complete inability to develop a working billing system! I can't believe how 

I can't believe how screwed up this situation is, I know Vodafone have had problems in the past but this is a whole new level! :smileymad:

Hi Tom

You can if you login to Myvodafone then under your plan and bills > what you've used.

This shows usage since the last bill date - so for me this is 10th-9th of each month.

hoep that helps

Thanks Jeff

That's where I am looking but it only shows the previous month. In the "Unbilled" tab it should show from 1st of Feb.

Here is today's update in the saga.

As I still can't see unbilled usage I called and spoke to 1 of my many new South African friends in Voda's call centre. He assures me I have not used any data this month as it seems he is seeing the same old usage as me. BTW -I reckon currently at about 30Gb.

He then went on to ask if I was aware I had gone over the 50Gb last month and advised me to watch data usage closely to avoid doing that again and incurring charges! Classic. 

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@TomW500 wrote:

Is it just me that thinks it is just too profitable for them to let us all run up vast bills?  

Assorted variants on Occam's Razor spring to mind:

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice. (Einstein)

##~##-up before conspiracy. (Ingham, but probably going to be bleeped)

Who in their right mind, after checking out their options and discovering this thread, is going to sign up to an MBB contract with Vodafone?

Annie_N

@Elaines35

At least the yahoo problem is an explanation of sorts!

To speed matters up, can you post your reference number here, as the normal means for the Team to locate your correspondence is via the email address on your Forum account - and I presume that will be the yahoo address which the contact form was blocking.