Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

jeffdawson78
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've very recently - 9 days ago - signed up to Vodafone mobile broadband 50GB plan using there mifi mobile router for use at home on my boat with our laptops.

As I have not used this before I have been keen to see how the speeds compare to my old Plusnet broadband and keep an eye on data usage.

I was therefore very surprised to see my account saying I had used 13GB of data over 2 nights! I checked the usage breakdown and saw a number of very strange readings of the same amount at small intervals:

16 Jan 2107
18:34  990.03 MB
19:33 990.03 MB
21:07 967.97 MB
21:25 990.03 MB
21:41 967.97 MB
21:57 765.02 MB
22:10 967.97 MB
22:30 199.16 MB

17 Jan 2017
07:09 11.49 MB
20.21 990.03 MB
20:35 967.97 MB
20:49 990.03 MB
21:05 967.97 MB
21:21 495.01 MB
21;28 967.97 MB
21:47 990.03 MB

22:05 234.86 MB 

On the 16 I did download a couple of shows from iplayer (approx 1.5GB) but nothing to use anywhere near that much data. 

I called the supprot line this morning but whilst courteous weren't able to do anything other than suggest visiting a store.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice!

349 REPLIES 349

Elaines35
4: Newbie
Eft reference #15330850. Hopefully we will get a bit of clarity and that Vodafone confirms either way about this cap mess. Too many conflicting answers.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Elaines35 Thanks for sending over your reference number. I can confirm we've received your email and will be in touch with you soon. 

@jeffdawson78 Please come and speak with our Broadband Live Chat team. They'll be happy to clear up any queries you have. 

@TomW500 Please try logging out of your account on the website and clear your cache and cookies. This will hopefully help to update your current usage information. If the problem persists, please let us know.

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@Colleen this is a MOBILE broadband issue. the Broadband live chat team can't help! 

This is an issue that the eForum team need to deal with and raise with the appropriate channels.

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Nabs

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

@jeffdawson78

I've sent you a private message with details on how to contact us. We'll get this looked into for you.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@jeffdawson78

I see from earlier in this thread that Alex sent you a PM on 03-02-2017, as a result of which you "did the EFT thing", and ended up receiving an email from a Vodafone Social Media Support agent - you reported the content on 06-02-2017.

Does that mean that you already have a reference number (format something like #15123456)? If so, and you could post that number here, it would be possible for the Team to link the present discussion back to that correspondence, which sounds very relevant to the situation of all three of you.

@Carly and @Annie_N

Ye sI alrady reported the data cap issue and spoke to someone who later emailed to confirm UK data cap was not available on mobile broadband packages.

The reference number for that is #15268354.

@Elaines35 - great that someone has agreed the data usage looked strange and has said they are looking into it. Hopefully they will be able to shed some light onto it. I've not followed up on that anymore as, for me not affecting my bill, not worht the hassle but would be great to know in case it happens again   

Colleen

It is persisting I'm afraid. Tried that at various times since this morning and up until just now I would get a message on the unbilled page that "your were working on it, try again later". However this time it loaded the same old, out-of-date list of data used in January.

How are we supposed to keep track of usage if there is no working method? Even when it is working it is just a list of lumps of data used without a running total which to me seems pretty poor customer service anyway but if you can't see it you have no chance of adding it all up!  

Had a call from one of the forum team earlier and I think I'm getting somewhere eventually. The man has agreed with me that my data logs look strange and are worth investigating. Further to this they are also going to look into the uk data cap saga and see why it can't be applied. Finally someone is willing to look into my complaints

Danni
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@Elaines35 wrote:

Had a call from one of the forum team earlier and I think I'm getting somewhere eventually. The man has agreed with me that my data logs look strange and are worth investigating. Further to this they are also going to look into the uk data cap saga and see why it can't be applied. Finally someone is willing to look into my complaints

Hi @Elaines35

Thanks for providing the information and your time talking to Jack. 

This is now being investigated. 

Thanks, 

Danni

Annie_N

@TomW500

For completeness sake, in helping Vodafone investigate this, did you also get a reference number in format #15123456? If so, could you post it here?

I see from the earlier posts on this thread that you had a PM from Colleen on 31-1-17 and you "did the EFT thing", which should have resulted in an acknowledgement with a reference number.

Was it as part of that correspondence that you were told (here) that it is not possible to put a cap on usage with data contracts?