Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

jeffdawson78
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've very recently - 9 days ago - signed up to Vodafone mobile broadband 50GB plan using there mifi mobile router for use at home on my boat with our laptops.

As I have not used this before I have been keen to see how the speeds compare to my old Plusnet broadband and keep an eye on data usage.

I was therefore very surprised to see my account saying I had used 13GB of data over 2 nights! I checked the usage breakdown and saw a number of very strange readings of the same amount at small intervals:

16 Jan 2107
18:34  990.03 MB
19:33 990.03 MB
21:07 967.97 MB
21:25 990.03 MB
21:41 967.97 MB
21:57 765.02 MB
22:10 967.97 MB
22:30 199.16 MB

17 Jan 2017
07:09 11.49 MB
20.21 990.03 MB
20:35 967.97 MB
20:49 990.03 MB
21:05 967.97 MB
21:21 495.01 MB
21;28 967.97 MB
21:47 990.03 MB

22:05 234.86 MB 

On the 16 I did download a couple of shows from iplayer (approx 1.5GB) but nothing to use anywhere near that much data. 

I called the supprot line this morning but whilst courteous weren't able to do anything other than suggest visiting a store.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice!

349 REPLIES 349

"Latest email" was weeks ago - or should I have had 1 recently?

Still waiting for the credit to be correctly put on the account. If you can help sort that?

Elaines35
4: Newbie
@tomw500 my most recent response was 2 weeks ago but I'm still assuming the investigation is ongoing.

I'm afraid I get the impression nobody at Voda is doing anything about it. I was told that "no cap is available" and "no warning message can be set up" so it is a case of having to use the mifi box and it's app to monitor data used with extreme care.

A pretty pathetic set up if you ask me but it is very much a case of take it or leave it!  

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@TomW500 If you still have the last email we sent to you, please pop a reply back and we'll be able to pick this back up for you. 

If not, please let us know and we can send the link again.

lizpughey
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Has anybody purchased a mobile dongle and had the data capped, I bought one in Feb this year and just had an extortionate bill, after reading the website it confirmed that any devices purchased after Sept 2016 can be capped but I have just been told by Vodafone that they cannot cap mine.  Anybody else have this issue?

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@lizpughey There have been two or three other customers with similar experiences. See http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Data-on-the-go/Strange-excessive-data-use-on-mobile-broadband/td-p/25...

I'll move this thread into that one, so that the Forum Team will see these issues grouped together. I imagine that one of the Team will be in touch with you before too long, to see if they can help you with this.

lizpughey

Sorry to say I would not hold your breath for a resolution! There is no cap, no usage warnings and not much help from Vodafone.

To me it would seems so straight forward to provide a cap but, even though they can on other deals and other providers can, it is beyond the abilities of anyone at Vodafone.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@lizpughey

Do you have the option to add the data cap through your MyVodafone?

We have an app, you can download for free.

Let us know if you have this option.

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@DaneB Can the app be used with MBB?

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Nabs

Mobile Broadband customers can only opt in to a data cap through eCare or the My Vodafone app.