Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

jeffdawson78
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've very recently - 9 days ago - signed up to Vodafone mobile broadband 50GB plan using there mifi mobile router for use at home on my boat with our laptops.

As I have not used this before I have been keen to see how the speeds compare to my old Plusnet broadband and keep an eye on data usage.

I was therefore very surprised to see my account saying I had used 13GB of data over 2 nights! I checked the usage breakdown and saw a number of very strange readings of the same amount at small intervals:

16 Jan 2107
18:34  990.03 MB
19:33 990.03 MB
21:07 967.97 MB
21:25 990.03 MB
21:41 967.97 MB
21:57 765.02 MB
22:10 967.97 MB
22:30 199.16 MB

17 Jan 2017
07:09 11.49 MB
20.21 990.03 MB
20:35 967.97 MB
20:49 990.03 MB
21:05 967.97 MB
21:21 495.01 MB
21;28 967.97 MB
21:47 990.03 MB

22:05 234.86 MB 

On the 16 I did download a couple of shows from iplayer (approx 1.5GB) but nothing to use anywhere near that much data. 

I called the supprot line this morning but whilst courteous weren't able to do anything other than suggest visiting a store.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice!

349 REPLIES 349

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@ditto73 Live Chat might be able to help with this - there's a link on the Contact Us page.

Hi Annie -  have returned dongle to Currys - knew it'd be a long process. currys were brilliant - the techie there agreed straight away and saw the problem - the vodafone guy he 'phoned didn't have a clue and said it was just "normal use".  I explained all the details and had pages from this thread that the currys bloke understood and even put in 990.03 on google and this thread came straight up.! - So disapointed that VF had to be so dim and dismissive as we have really bad internet here and the dongle would be the answer. have cancelled the contract - with a ref number but will probably have Vf try and sue me. What a shame such a potentially good product is handled is such a silly manner. it seems stupidity is being made into a virtue. - regards - Phil

Elaines35
The my vodafone app only works if the sim is in a mobile that is using the mobile data connection. My sim is in a Huawei hub and the app is installed on my iPad but as I'm using Wi-Fi and not mobile data on the ipad the app is useless

Elaines35
I lodged a complaint as detailed earlier through the eft form. The was done on the 13th February and I'm still waiting on a explanation on the data cap and why the usage log was wrong. Getting a bit impatient now 😤

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Elaines35

Please log into your My Vodafone account and try this again, rather than using the app.

I can see our last email to you was on 13 February. If you need us to look into this for you again, please reply back to this email and we’ll be in touch.

Hi

I cannot log into the account that I set up for the wifi dongle, it doesnt recognise my user name which is my email address, I set up another account yesterday for my daughters mobile phone with user name lizpughey, can I add the dongle to this account?

thanks

Elaines35
Finally.....i logged into my vodafone last night again and the UK data cap option is available again. Checked the box and logged in now again and the cap is shown as active form last night. Happy days. Everyone ensure yours is on to avoid nasty bills.

pipcoo

My mobile BB went off today and remained so , thought I`d check on usage using another connection and it showed I`d used my monthy allowance up. I was was aware of getting close (ish) to the limit but there was still 5gb left yesterday and that has now been used up despite me only doing general surfing and no streaming etc. but I`m not going to start that debate again, I`m posting to say that at least the data cap kicked in and saved me from a potentially unexpected bill so it does work, at least in my case. Hopefully fibre BB will be available in my area within the next 6-9 months so I can get rid of VF.

jidewura
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I seem to be caught up in this mess with Vodaphone as well now!, just bought a new 50GB 30-day rolling contract from a PC world on the 29th December around 8pm, i saw this thread and decided to check my data usage only to fing it says i have used  almost 12GB in a day!, this is ludicrous considering i also have a 3mobile wifi in the house and all the phones in the house have good size data allowances.

The worst thing is that i have tried to do the data cap on line and it said it was successful, i later chaked and it said "we cant add this service for you because you are ineligible" . 

This  problem seems to be well known to vodaphone but they seem to be unwilling to do anything about it.  This is not right.  I shall be returning the wifi and cancelling my accountvodafone.JPG

Annie_N

@jidewura

If you bought a Vodafone Pass as well, that would have turned the data cap straight off again - the Passes aren't compatible with the data cap!!

It's now very nearly a year that this thread has been running, and I must say I regard it as shameful that a company of Vodafone's standing seems unable to fix the problem in this length of time.