Skip to content
main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Broadband

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

5: Helper

Just a wee update to add - just been told that it is not possible to put a cap on usage with data contracts. She "will pass on my feedback" that this is not acceptable.

My theory is that it is making too much profit for Vodafone so why kill the goose that is laying such amazing golden eggs!

View more options
17: Community Champion

@TomW500 

I had understood from your earlier posts that your contract had started quite recently? The information given here about the data caps includes "A data cap is one of the tools available in Vodafone Data Manager, and is included in all Pay monthly phone and SIM only bundles bought after 5 May 2016, and Mobile Broadband and tablet bundles bought after 28 September 2016."

Situations like yours are of no value to Vodafone. The damage done by a few threads like this far outweighs any short-term benefit from excess data charges. But they sometimes seem to struggle with identifying where the problem actually lies when an issue strikes a very limited number of accounts.

_

View more options

Hi Annie

Yes, 13th December, so the whole mess arose just a few days after the 30 day escape clause had ended.

View more options

Wow! This is unbelievable! I can't understand how something so simple can be going so horribly wrong!
I feel for you guys are are stuck dealing with this! It really should have been resolved ages ago now!

Come on Vodafone... it can't be that difficult can it! 

View more options
6: Helper Bronze
It gets better by the day!!!!!I'm led to believe The cap should be available for the data sim. It just doesn't work. It's becoming clear either Vodafone are struggling to resolve the issue in the background or just don't care. The lack of feedback on this forum from the experts says a lot.
View more options

@Elaines35 I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

@TomW500 Please also check your private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options
3: Seeker Silver

Vodafone Tech Team - I'd aprpeciate if someone could get in touch to tell me what the situation is with the data cap and how this can be resolved as I would like to be able to set it.

From both Elaine 35 and TomW500 posts it seems fruitless to spend hours on the phone to support for no resolution

View more options

Alex - already did that EFT bit last week so not much point repeating it again. Especialy when your colleague emailed last night to say there was nowt you could do.

Jeff - you are spot on there. Hours wasted on the phone / online chat (that very rarely actualy works) / emails and even a good old-fashioned letter over the past 10 days.

That letter actualy did result in a call from the "directors office" late yesterday with an offer of 50% refund OR they keep the £500 and let us walk away from the contract. If we accept either option we lose the right to make a complaint to try to recover the rest.

View more options
I have done the EFT thing and will update when I get a responce
View more options

@jeffdawson78 Please check the private message I've sent you. 

View more options
@Jeffdawson did you have any luck with adding the data cap?
View more options

Hi Elaines35. No luck yet. I did the EFT thing reporting it but was unavailable when the vodafone agent called on Saturday. Responded to there email so hopefully here back in due course. How about you?

View more options
Nothing. No call's or email so unsure about cap yet
View more options

Update on the data cap issue. Received the follwoing email from a Vodafone Social Media Support agent after speaking to her and her contacting the technical team:

"Thank you for your time over the call.

I have checked with the technical team and we do not have the capping facility for the mobile broadband services.

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.

However; you will be able to add the UK data bar on the account.

I request you to please keep a track of your usage and then place the bar on the account when needed."

So despite giving you the option for a data cap and the vodafone website saying it is available it is in reality not available for mobile broadband.

The data bar suggestion is completely pointless as the purpose of the data cap is to stop you going over your limit in the firstplace and thereby incuring any charges.

I think it is very poor service that there a data capping option is not available for mobile broadband users made even worse by Vodafone saying there is one available on the website! 

View more options

And, I'm afraid, made worse again by the fact that you are shown the data cap, that it appears to work, but it doesn't function. It is my understanding that phone users who don't have that option on their account, because it started too early, don't see it (or perhaps it's greyed out) - certainly they aren't offered it as a "viable" option, only to discover it doesn't do anything.

_

View more options
It gets better by the day. 😤😤. I logged into my Vodafone again and the UK data cap option is now gone. I think Vodafone 's level of service is shocking. Everyone was telling me they could apply it to my account and they were totally unaware it doesn't exist in the slightest. But it was in the terms and conditions for mobile broadband! !!!!! The link to this is now gone but someone can correct me if they can find it in the terms and conditions as noted in an earlier post. If any of the Vodafone people read this I want to be contacted at the earliest opportunity. I done the whole eft thing which turned out to be a waste of time. Nobody seems to know what's going on and it's pretty convenient for them that I'm out of my 30 day cancellation period. I'm more going to pursue my original complaint further and insist that the contract be cancelled. Failure to do so , I will forward my complaint to the ombudsman and the press. I'm fuming at this minute. Vodafone could learn a lot from EE about mobile broadband and the way it's run
View more options

@Elaines35

I don't think anyone has quoted from the Ts&Cs, but @Nabs and I have both quoted from the Support pages - https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Account-bill-and-top-up/My-allowance-usage-and-charges/Data-capping/9... where it still shows

I've included most of the page, so to view it properly you'll need to open the image in a new screen.

I've spent a while looking for the Ts&Cs for Data on the Go, and I'm not convinced I've found them. There's http://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/price-plans/mobile-broadband/ipad-tablets-do... which despite its URL is dated July 2016 and refers to plans after July 2016, and has an onward link to PAYM Ts&Cs dated May 2016. So I tried Essential Customer Information The Legal Stuff, which led me to PAYM Ts&Cs dated April 2016. I've tried assorted other routes, but I think the lot dated May 2016 are probably the current ones.

_

View more options
Annie_n in your opinion when I when I signed up for mobile.broadband in late decemeber was the UK data cap sold a's part of the contract? Since I had the data over run problem every person I have talked to online or on the phone has said they will apply the data cap but as stated it never applied. But none of them once said the UK data cap wasn't part of the data sim contract. Now I'm out of the 30 day period and they are now saying the cap can't be applied to data sims. If they had of been more clear I would have cancelled. It seems no one at Vodafone knows what's happening
View more options
Perhaps if Vodafone could comment on here about this and the statement below on their support pages?

A data cap is one of the tools available in Vodafone Data Manager, and is included in all Pay monthly phone and SIM only bundles bought after 5 May 2016, and Mobile Broadband and tablet bundles bought after 28 September 2016. It gives you control over your data usage and spending.
View more options

@Elaines35 – I'm sorry for the confusion.

If you can reply to the last email we sent, we’ll look into this further.

View more options