Skip to content
main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Broadband

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

4: Newbie
@Carl I never got an automated reply from the eft form. I have sent it numerous times but I never received any replies.
View more options
Can someone contact me on the number provided on the pm at the time given again? I missed a call from Vodafone last night but not sure if it's related to my issue.
View more options
3: Seeker
Thanks Elaines35, does this mean that they agreed that you didn't use the data? Unfortunately I didn't know about the ability to track usage (and get that minute by minute data that you all were able to show them that the usage was crazy). It wasn't until my account was closed that they told me about the outstanding bill because of the 80GB usage (that didn't happen!).
In all my complaints the customer service ppl (apart from 2 ppl) told me that the SIM records usage so it proves I used the data.
I'm curious what you said/did to convince them you were right. Thanks!
Kythie
View more options

@kythie they didn't actually say that I used the data but I was fairly sure I didn't use it. Firstly the data log amounts were quite strange and were similar to another posters logs down to the 100th of a Mb. Secondly I checked my devices and couldn't find anything that had downloaded or streamed that amount of data. My Amazon prime is set at the lowest resolution and should use about 0.6gb per hour but the log showed about a gb every 20minutes. I'm not a heavy user as I don't have the data to waste so I think the man in the call centre was convinced by my argument. Finally I  explained to him that I tried to add the uk data cap before this all happened. This would have stopped the data at 50gb and no bill would have arisen. They tried to add it while I was on the phone numerous times and consulted the tech team who claimed to have overidden the system to add it. Eventually they conceded there was a problem with it and credited £150 as goodwill gesture. After a few days the cap still wasn't on and I phoned again and argued my case about the cap. They again were confused about adding the cap and eventually credited me the remainder of the bill to settle that issue. 

As of yet no one from Vodafone has contacted yet to clarify the issue with the U.K. Data cap and there is posts on here saying its non existent. I wish Vodafone would come back to me and be clear about it as I'm not happy with a contract that can't be capped that logs phantom usage amounts

View more options

@Elaines35

I can see you've mentioned on a new post that we've looked into the situation. In terms of the UK data cap, this is something that's included in our new plans.

View more options

I'm on a 50gb sim only data contract signed up on the 28th December. Can the uk data cap be added to this account?

View more options

@carly I'm on a 50gb sim only data contract signed up on the 28th December. Can the uk data cap be added to this account?

View more options
17: Community Champion

@Elaines35

As I understand it, there is no doubt at all about the situation - a Mobile Broadband contract which started after 28 September 2016 will include the UK data cap.

If I've understood correctly, initially you could see the option to apply the data cap, but that it didn't work. Subsequently, following a reference on to technical assistance from CS, you were informed that the data cap did not apply to Mobile Broadband accounts, and that as a result the option to apply the data cap disappeared from your account. Can you confirm that the option to apply the data cap is still missing from your account?

I'm sorry that the Forum Tech Team still hasn't managed to make contact with you. I haven't a clue what is going wrong here, but one possiblility could be that the contact form is suffering a very quick time-out. If you still have the link that Alex sent you, I'd suggest having a further shot at that, but only giving the compulsory contact and personal details, and simply putting a link to this thread as your description of your problem. You should see an on-screen acknowledgement, followed almost immediately by an email which includes a reference number in the subject line. If, by some wonder, that succeeds, please post the reference number here.

_

View more options

@annie_n. Yes the option for adding the uk data cap disappeared from my Vodafone last week I think. Up until that it was visible and I was able to select it but it never applied to my account. 

@jeffdawson78 posted a response on page 4 from Vodafone which I have added below

"Thank you for your time over the call.
I have checked with the technical team and we do not have the capping facility for the mobile broadband services.
I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.
However; you will be able to add the UK data bar on the account.
I request you to please keep a track of your usage and then place the bar on the account when needed." 

After one of my many contacts with Vodafone someone said they had successfully applied the cap but after logging into my account they had added the data bar which is totally different. 

The only possible conclusion I can come to is that the cap is now applied as standard with no way of turning it off but why did my plan run over by 6gb? Has this update only been done Since the option was removed from my Vodafone?

View more options

Thanks for clarifying your situation, @Elaines35, though the two different pieces of information about the data cap continue to say that there is a data cap and that it is switched off as standard.

I have no idea how this saga can have been running for over three weeks now, and still apparently be no nearer to a resolution. I can only advise "hanging on in there", and I imagine it will eventually limp to a conclusion.

_

View more options
Yeah it's dragging on a bit now. The support pages say it's available for new plans but are telling posters on here it's not available. I'm surprised this hasn't been raised before

I done the eft form again with a link to this forum posts and still didn't get an email with a reference number.
View more options
@Elaines35 do you use a Yahoo email?

View more options
View more options
@Elaines35 I recall a while ago there may have been an issue with some yahoo addresses being blocked by the form. I'm wondering id this issue has reoccured...
Do you have an alternative email address (not yahoo) that you could use?

View more options
@nabs you were correct. My live.com worked
View more options

Hi @Elaines 35 adn @Carly.

Since contacting Vodafone re setting the data cap the option to set a UK data cap has been removed from Myvodafone options as fro Elaines35

Despite, as I posted that the tech team said the data cap is not avaialbel on mobile boradband accounts The Vodafone website still says as Carly repeated that mobile broadband deals bought after 28 September 2016 have UK data capping as an option.

Either I am not getting the necessary features on my contract that I should be or Vodafone are providing wrong information.

View more options

@Elaines35

At least the yahoo problem is an explanation of sorts!

To speed matters up, can you post your reference number here, as the normal means for the Team to locate your correspondence is via the email address on your Forum account - and I presume that will be the yahoo address which the contact form was blocking.

_

View more options
5: Helper

As this mess continues can I ask if anyone else can see thier unbilled data on the useless Vodafone website. I was told to monitor usage to avoid going over the limit again but it shows no use since 23rd Jan.!

It surely cannot be beyond the ability of someone at Vodafone to copy other mobile providers and make a cap available. Is it just me that thinks it is just too profitable for them to let us all run up vast bills?  

View more options

TomW500 wrote:

It surely cannot be beyond the ability of someone at Vodafone to copy other mobile providers and make a cap available. Is it just me that thinks it is just too profitable for them to let us all run up vast bills?  

It, unfortunately, at this point in time, does appear to be beyond the ability of Vodafone to provide such a simple service!

I don't think it's anything about profit, more about the complete inability to develop a working billing system! I can't believe how 

I can't believe how screwed up this situation is, I know Vodafone have had problems in the past but this is a whole new level! Smiley Mad

View more options

Hi Tom

You can if you login to Myvodafone then under your plan and bills > what you've used.

This shows usage since the last bill date - so for me this is 10th-9th of each month.

hoep that helps

View more options