Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Usb Stick Rollback Software Install Problem

Mitch77
Not applicable
I have been using my USB Broadband stick on my XPS Dell laptop quite happily for the past 8 Months. For various reasons I had to re-install the VMC software and ever since then I have had problems. The re-install gets as far as 'Starting Services' stays on that for a few minutes then 'Rollsback' the installation leaving me with no USB modem stick software! I've called Vodafone, they say its a problem with my windows (vista) software, therefore contacted Dell to sort out my software and they want £70 to have a look at it! Anyone had this problem or even better does anyone know how to correct it before I have to succumb to Dell 'Dick Turpin' Software Repairs!
5 REPLIES 5

Hands0n
4: Newbie
You would be better off seeking out a local PC Doctor in the classifieds of your local newspaper. At least you'd be keeping the money in the community :)

I reckon that the previous re-install has left some registry information that is confusing the installer. If you're familiar with the Windows Registry then go in there, find the Hive that is to do with the VMC software and delete it compeltely. Restart Windows and then re-install the software.

If you're not familiar with the Registry then ignore the paragraph I just wrote - do not go into the Registry, you could do untold damage if you removed the wrong thing.

daveastra
13: Advanced Member
hi there, one thing id have a look at, is if theres anything like a firewall or antivirus running, as its normally something like that disagrees with the install process, so id have a look at turning all that off to install (dont forget to turn it back on afterwards)

i also remember there used to be some other program that was running that would do that, but cant for the life of me remember what it was called, but think it was something to do with pictures or images, but maybe someone else might recall the exact program, but i know it had to be disabled to install

Retired-Katrina
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Mitch.

It does sound like the Installation process hasn't completed as Daveastra says something is disagreeing with the process. I agree with Dave to check the firewalls etc and try installing again.

Try that for now Mitch and let me know how you get on.

Thanks
Katrina_Vodafone
eForum team

Mitch77
Not applicable
I thought I would update this as I've resolved my problem. I had to back up my PC to a hard drive, then restore it back to the factory settings. Then, obviously restore the data and re-install any software. Sounds like a nightmare but didn't take too long. USB stick has now been installed successfully andwork fine. Thanks for everyones replies but this is the only thing that worked. Somehow something in my registry got screwed up and didn't allow me to re-install the dongle software.

Thanx