Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone K3765 Dongle - I Get RAS Error 797 With Windows 7 Starter

chimpcheng
Not applicable
Hi all,

I'm brand new here, so please be gentle with me...

After chatting to a sales advisor via the vodafone chat client on the Vodafone website, I plumped for the PAYG K3765 Dongle as it suited my needs perfected - Windows 7 compatible, cheap, and plug and play. Sadly, as it turned out, it's nothing like plug and play.

The dongle and drivers are installed without fault, but when I attempt to make a connect - BANG!!! RAS error code 797.

After uninstalling and reinstalling the VMC, I was still getting the same error - I even followed the steps in the error to attempt to correct the fault, but to no avail. I then called Vodafone. 45 minutes later, we had still not gotten anywhere (uninstalled, reinstalled, went to phone and modem, switched to GPRS, created a new entry in the VMC, blah, blah). Eventually, I ran out of credit, but when I called back, I was told that everything was set and to go back and try it later in the day.

Later in the day comes and BOOM! Same error!

Cue another 30 mins online with a Vodafone service guy and then another 20 mins on the phone to Vodafone. I am still getting the error.

Device manager see's the dongle, the dongle flashes blue (single blips), but nothing. I've used the USB extender, tried different USB ports, zip, nada.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? I am using an Asus EEE PC 1008HA with Windoes 7 Starter using the PAYG K3765 and at present I'm going to try to latest update (I realise it hasn't been released in the UK yet) to see if that get's me online. Oh, I'm also in a strong 3G area, friends are using 3 mobile dongles and they zip along, meanwhile I'm struggling with this... I have searched the interweb and did what was asked of me, etc., etc., but still the connection goes POP.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you. :)
16 REPLIES 16

chimpcheng
Not applicable
Slight update: The latest greatest VMC still results in the same error message... :(

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi chimpcheng,

I must say, this issue has us stumped for a couple of reasons :(

Firstly, the RAS Error 797 is only ever supposed to affect computers running Windows 2000 or Windows XP, so it's odd to see this.
Having looked through our own knowledgebase resources as well, the error is so rare that we've never actually encountered it before :(

Given what the error means, and the information you've told us about your system, there are two possible causes.

Officially, our hardware does not support Windows 7 Starter edition - this is according to the Read Me documents that you can download from the Vodafone Mobile Connect pages. We support 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Home Basic, Home Premium, Enterprise, and Ultimate - but no mention at all of Starter Edition. Given that Starter Edition is now only sold for Netbooks in the US, there may be reduced hardware support as a result, which means it will not work with your modem.

The second possibility, is that the modem is not powering-on fully, and is therefore not being detected by Windows. Netbooks typically have a lower-than-normal power supply, and our modems are hungry beasts. If the power supply from the Netbook's USB port cannot fully power-on the modem, it may not activate fully.

Can you tell us exactly what colour and flashing sequence of lights you get on the modem? This should help us confirm our diagnosis :)

Jon

eForum Team

chimpcheng
Not applicable
Can you tell us exactly what colour and flashing sequence of lights you get on the modem? This should help us confirm our diagnosis

Hi Jon, thank you for your reply.

As of last night I'm still getting the RAS error code 797, I did see the thread where this error was only meant to happen with XP, but there I was sitting with it on Windows 7 Starter.

Ok, the light on the dongle is light blue and flashing in single blips at about equal length of time apart. If I boot up the netbook with the dongle already attached, I get a solid green light, followed by flashing green light (regular intervals), before it settles to the above flashing blue.

It's a shame it might not function properly, if at all, on Windows 7 Starter, especially, as you say most netbooks have Starter pre-installed.

Still, I'll be grateful if you could offer any more insight before I return it to the shop. Thanks very much.

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hey there chimpcheng,

I'm really sorry that we have yet to see a resolution on this one...

As Jon has already stated, officially, we don't support Windows 7 Starter edition. This means that we cannot guarantee that it will work.

However, it may be that there is a missing dependency in the back end and I need for you to try something if you don't mind?

We need the msinfor32 logs:

- Go to Start Menu
- Type msinfo32 in the search bar and hit return to open the System Configuration Utility
- Select File and Export
- Enter a file name and save the file

If you could then upload the file to the forum, we'll take a look and see if we can see what's going on.

Cheers,

LeeH
eForum Team

chimpcheng
Not applicable
Hi guys. I've attached the file that you wanted and I've named it Win 7.txt. Thanks for your help so far. :)

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi ChimpCheng,

many thanks for getting back to us with the additional information, at this moment in time we aren't sure why this isn't working and have escalated this to one of our project managers, once I have confirmation I will post an update on this thread.

James
eForum Team,

chimpcheng
Not applicable

Hi ChimpCheng,

many thanks for getting back to us with the additional information, at this moment in time we aren't sure why this isn't working and have escalated this to one of our project managers, once I have confirmation I will post an update on this thread.

James
eForum Team,

Hi there. I got to admit I am very impressed with the help and offer of help so far, thank you. I'm not so impressed with the dongle, but, hey, compatibility issues happen, same thing could have happened if I had a different netbook, dongle, blah. Thanks again. :D

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Chimpcheng,

I have just had a response from our project team who have asked me for the following information;

Can we get a screenshot from Control Panel, Phone and Modem Options (make sure your not in category view), Modems tab.

Also be useful to get a screenshot of Device Manager with the Modem heading expanded, and also make sure the Telephony and Remote Access Connection Manager services are running all ok.

Other thing to try would be to try creating a new DUN connection and see if this works. I've attached a doc for this.

I'm also sending you a quick email please respond with the details and we will get all the information passed on for you.

James
eForum Team

chimpcheng
Not applicable
Hi there. Apologies for getting back to you so late.

Okay, I've navigated to the areas you wanted me to go, but for some reason I don't appear to have a modem tab... In the Location Information dialog when I expand the country drop down, it's all blanl. I can't choose a country (there's nothing to choose from) nor can I type one in...

I am in the process of attempting the steps that you've listed in your attachment... Wish me luck...

EDIT: Ok, that didn't work for me as I can't configure as I don't appear to have a modem tab. Hmmmmm...