You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
MrSteveW

Vodafone Mobile WiFi R201 device

Having a problem with my new R201 device.

1) I have had the device for about 4 days now. It is my only source of internet for my laptop at business / home as bt line is too far from exchange for an acceptable bband speed. Since set up, I have always left the device plugged in and on. The device, as described in the manual, goes into 'sleep' mode when not used for a certain period of time. I have the problem that after trying to go online after the device has gone into 'sleep' mode, it does not connect. Even logging onto the router homepage http://vodafonemobile.wifi/ does not prompt connection. The internet will also not open on my iPhone. I have also tried pressing the WPS display button on the device and powering the device off and on to get a connection, but this more often than not, doesn't work.

The connection settings are set to the default 'automatic'

The device only seems to connect when it 'feels' like it! What can I do as it's very frustrating not being able to press a button or do something to make the device connect?

Message 1 of 17 (10,260 Views)
MrSteveW

Re: Vodafone Mobile WiFi R201 device

Forgot to add:

When connected, the device and speed is superb!

Message 2 of 17 (10,258 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
jarviser

I use a Netgear 3G router (similar) and the best advice is when you are done working online, turn it off. They are a little fussy and may need restarting anyway, so may as well turn it off when not in use for the sake of 2 minutes boot-up time.

You will also reduce chatter and unnecessary waste of precious bandwidth. Once your GBytes are gone you are into expensive excess charges.  Turn off your windows updates etc and only search for updates back at the office.

Message 3 of 17 (10,235 Views)
Rank 16: Guide V
SatanicBuddha

Hello Mr SteveW,

I've been testing one of these devices for work, for a few months and agree that when it works, it is pretty good (although not as good as the previous Novatel 2352). However, I have never had the problem you currently have. It works just as fine in sleep mode (just to note, pressing the display button only iluminates the display, it doesn't rest the connection).

You say that you have it plugged in all the time. Do you mean plugged into the wall or your PC? If you plug it into your PC, then it becomes effectively a tethered modem that only your PC can use. If plugged into the PC, how are you managing the connection?

When you have the problems connecting, what is showing up on the display? What connection are you getting and how strong is the signal?

Message 4 of 17 (10,199 Views)
MrSteveW

I don't want to have to keep turning it off and on as I'm always in and out of my office as I work from home. Also, I want to have the option of other users to log on whenever as you would a normal wifi router so I don't want to have to run to the office and fiddle with anything. I'm not concerned at the moment regarding bandwidth as I want to see how it all pans out on this kind of usage (as I wont get charged for exceeding b/w, just speed reduced until next month).
I keep it plugged in to the power, not the computer (I have not yet plugged direct into computer) as I have bought this purely on the basis on the wifi facility and that various users can hook up to it at the same time. I have a dongle too but as I have said, the wifi connection is very important so more than 1 user can access at same time.
The display and homepage of the router (always in the same location) shows a perfect signal with 3G or HSDPA availability (mast is 1/2 mile away). The device shows that 1 user is connected (my laptop) but it just doesn't seem to connect until it 'feels' like it!
Basically, this little gadget is replacing my BT bandband connection as I rarely got 250kbps from it and this connection (when it feels like connecting) is 10 times that!!
Message 5 of 17 (10,183 Views)
SatanicBuddha

It does sound like you are using it as you should, and I totally understand that you don't want to keep turning it off and on. That isn't how it should work (and not how my test device is working at the mo).

My test device is currently right next to me and I have 1 bar 3G signal (occasionally goes up to HSUPA but no bars showing) and three users connected; the receptionist's laptop located downstairs, a colleague's BB where he's has just been able to stream a youtube vid, and my BB. Its been up and running for a few hours now, without any problems.

I think (although am not totally sure) that it could be one of three things:

1) Problem with the network in your area. You'll have to speak to Vodafone, or hopefully a forum administrator will step in to check your postcode to see if there are any issues. You could also try the device in another location and see if you get the same issue.

2) Problem with your SIM. It might need updating, so if possible, pop it into an unlocked mobile, do a manual roam. Select any network other than Vodafone. When you get the error message, then select Vodafone. This will refresh your SIM card.

3) Problem with the device. You will definitely have to speak to Vodafone.

There may be other possible reasons for the problem you are getting and hopefully someone who has used this device extensively may step in and help.

Either way, do let us know how you get on and my company are about to start using these devices for renting to our customers.

Cheers

Message 6 of 17 (10,171 Views)
MrSteveW

Thanks Buddah, I will give Voda a call. How long do they usually take to step in on these forums?
I don't think there's anything wrong with the Voda network round here as I've got a Voda iphone which I use when the mifi doesnt feel like connecting and the wife has a voda bb which is fine too. Plus all the display and homepage says that the signal is excellent. I'll try putting the sim into the bb and doing as you said before I call them as that seems to be their standard response to any mobile broadband problems!
I've got high hopes for this as when it works it's great :smileywink:
Message 7 of 17 (10,161 Views)
SatanicBuddha

Fingers crossed for you, mate.

Not too sure when they will step in. Since the new website has been up, they have become a rare species.

However, when they do step in they can really help...sometimes.

Message 8 of 17 (10,157 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Hi MrSteveW,

Thanks for posting, this does sound like quite a strange issue, I'm confident it can be fixed though.

I would definitely recommend turning the device off whenever possible, although I can understand if you can't do this. I'd give SatanicBuddha's suggestion of placing your SIM into another device a go as well, just to ensure the SIM is up to date with the network.

In regards to the signal in your area, I've checked the postcode in your profile and can't see any problems, is this where you're using the device? If not, then please let me know the correct postcode. To be honest though, I'd be surprised if this was a network issue.

If all else fails then you'll be able to get the device exchanged, details of how to arrange this can be found in our eForum FAQ section.

George

eForum Team

Message 9 of 17 (10,089 Views)
MrSteveW

[ Edited ]

Hi George,

Thanks for stepping in on this.

I tried Buddha's and your suggestion of putting the SIM in another device and manually connecting to network. The same issue still persists.

As you confirm, the network signal is perfect here where I use the device, it's just the device is not 'waking up' from its sleep mode. Turning the device off and on just isn't practical.

I've tried calling technical support this morning. Someone said a 'senior engineer' would be contacting me at 4pm but I did not hear anything so tried to I attempted to call back in at 5pm. Other than it takes an age to get through to right department, I've also been cut off 3 times this evening and am losing a bit of patience. Can you escalate this to someone to call me please either to check with device or swap it out. Number for the mobile broadband account is (Removed for Security). My contact number is the other number attached to this account.

Thanks,

Steve Williams

Message 10 of 17 (10,070 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi MrSteveW,

I can only apologise if the callback did not take place as arranged. Have you had this since the post?

As George has mentioned, once those tests were run, there's not much left to check other than arranging an exchange or repair.

If you weant to arrange this via a store, then just follow the instructions on the link George provided. Alternatively, I'm popping you an email to get your details so we can arrange this for you.

Dave

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 11 of 17 (9,995 Views)
MrSteveW

Managed to get an exchange done yesterday. Device is up and running this morning. Let's see what happens when it goes to sleep!
Thanks
Message 12 of 17 (9,918 Views)
paddyp

I see there is a firmware update from 22-02-2011 but when I try to download it I get a server error. Can you fix the links please so that we can download it.

Message 13 of 17 (9,547 Views)
Rank 19: Instructor III
JohnA

Type 'Firmware Upgrade R201' into the search box at http://www.business.vodafone.com and you will get the link for the firmware.

Message 14 of 17 (9,505 Views)
paddyp

Cheers, wouldn't work last night but may be a firefox or ubuntu issue, downloading fine now in chrome on windows. Its the bigges firmware update I've ever seen!

Message 15 of 17 (9,480 Views)
MrSteveW

Update......

After swapping the previous faulty device, the new one works like a dream (touch wood) and wakes up appropriately after not being in use for some time. Speed is good here, 10 times faster than BT broadband (seriously).

My only minor gripe is the wireless range is not as much as normal routers and I often go out of range with devices unless I (obviously) take it around the house with me.

Big thumbs up from me!

Message 16 of 17 (8,938 Views)
guitarplayer

I'm buying an acer laptop with monthly payments and I also obtained a Vodafone r201 mobile wifi unit, It worked ok for a few days and then it stopped working, I went back to my local Vodafone shop and they looked at it and they decided to unistall and re install vodafone from my laptop and everything now works perfectly, Simples.

Message 17 of 17 (6,344 Views)