Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone PAYG Mobile Broadband - Top-up And Charges Query

ludzy
Not applicable
Hi,

Just received my broadband pay as u go sim today. I'm using it with my unlocked huawei E5830 mifi device. Everything is fine and working (using it now) but I'm a bit confused about the top up stuff?

I registered the sim with vodafone and added £5 credit just to check it out etc... But I dont think vodafone know it's mobile broadband sim. Is there anyway I have to top up with mobile broadband credit or is the credit universal? Been using it for about 30 mins now and credit is down to £4.50. i have read the term s etc and did see that vodaphone charge 50p max for all day browsing but I would assume this is for mobile phone use not dongle/mifi use. Does this mean I have been given a standard pay n go sim instead of a mobile broadband one? (if theres a difference). Also I noticed that £15 gives you 3gb use so does that mean that i have to top up a min £15 every time?? Sorry for all the questions I'm just a bit confused about this side of things.

cheers

Ludz
21 REPLIES 21

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Ludz,

Welcome to the eForum :D

I'm afraid we don't sell Mobile Broadband SIM cards on their own - they have to be purchased along with a modem, and the Top-up-and-Go variants all need at least £15 of credit before it will convert this to data usage.

Since you've been sent the SIM on its own, and been able to use it without topping up the full amount, that does indicate you've been sent a normal Pay-as-you-Go SIM card :(

If you want to take advantage of the more appropriate £15 for 3GB plan, then you'll need to purchase one of our Top-up-and-Go modems. Once you receive it, you can then take the SIM card from this modem, and use it with your MiFi device instead :)

You'll need to change your APN settings slightly to get it to work - just make sure you're using the following details:

APN: ppbundle.internet
Username: web
Password: web

I trust this helps :)

Jon

eForum Team

ludzy
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply.

I purchased the sim from bay and was assured it's a data sim but as you say if vodafone don't sell data sims on there own how is that possible?

So if I carry on using this sim for data as I'm doing at the minute what's the disadvantage? Because I'm getting good speeds and everything is working fine.

Cheers

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi ludzy

You can only get a PAYG data SIM when you buy a PAYG Dongle. We don't sell them separately.

If your using a normal telephony SIM then the difference will be that you will be paying more for your usage than with a PAYG Dongle.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team

ludzy
Not applicable

Hi ludzy

You can only get a PAYG data SIM when you buy a PAYG Dongle. We don't sell them separately.

If your using a normal telephony SIM then the difference will be that you will be paying more for your usage than with a PAYG Dongle.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team

Thanks for that. As mentioned I purchased the sim card from eBay so obviously the seller sent me a standard pay n go sim even tho it was advertised as a mobile broadband simcard. So if I do still decide to use this sim am I right in thinking that the max I will be charged will be 50p a day to use the net? Also are there any mobile broadband rates that don't expire after 30 days?

Cheers

Ludz

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi ludzy

Spot on!!

Unfortunately there aren't any that don't expire that are currently being sold, we used to sell our first PAYG modems like this however we now only sell the 30 day expiry.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team

ludzy
Not applicable

Hi ludzy

Spot on!!

Unfortunately there aren't any that don't expire that are currently being sold, we used to sell our first PAYG modems like this however we now only sell the 30 day expiry.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team

What's the data limit for me then when using this sim as a max 50p charge?

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

What's the data limit for me then when using this sim as a max 50p charge?

Hi ludzy,

The data limit is 25MB. Once you exceed 25MB of usage, you will be charged another 50p - and so on, for each 25MB used.

Please see herefor more details :)

Jon

eForum Team

ludzy
Not applicable

Hi ludzy,

The data limit is 25MB. Once you exceed 25MB of usage, you will be charged another 50p - and so on, for each 25MB used.

Please see herefor more details :)

Jon

eForum Team

Really I can see myself using that up in seconds. Looks like I better buy a pay n go modem and swap that sim into my mifi

Cheers for all the info

Jerry S
Not applicable
Hi, Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's a simple question regarding the same 50p internet usage.

I only need very occasional internet on my mobile phone and have ordered a simply sim.

When I top up on this new sim, will there be any expiry on my credit?

As I will only be accessing mobile based content (road travel information), I am happy that the internet will cost me a max of 50p / 25MB.

Ideally what I am looking for is a low cost pay as you go solution with no expiry, so basically my £10 top up could last more than the standard 30 days.

Again, sorry for the hijack.