Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

What has happened to 'Opera Mini'?

dolemite72
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm new to the forum (and not very tech savvy) but I've been a vodafone customer for about 13 years. I'm not into swanky android phones, but my phone (nothing flashy at all, just a 'Vodafone chat 655') is good enough for my needs (calls, texts and occasional web browsing) which suits my £10 monthly PAYG bundle for all three. The web browsing (whilst extremely slow, is ok for me, because I'm not into downloading)

However...
As of 3 days ago (06.03.17) the internet (which is 'Opera Mini') no longer works on my device, and whenever I try to connect, I get the following notice:

(Quote) "Dear Customer
The vodafoneopera mini servicewill end on 01.03.2017
To continue surfing the internetplease go to
http://www.opera.com.mobile
And get the newestopera miniversion for your phone.
The opera mini software is for free"

Now given that the phone only opperates from OPERA MINI....it's impossible to go to any website on this device. Had vodafone gave me this warning BEFORE the cut off date. I could have done something about such matters. I've contacted the online advisors about this....and they tried the usual "text WEB to 40127" and then when that failed I spent hours of the same advisor giving me (fruitless) instructions on how to change my 'Data Account' settings...to no avail. The advisor asked me to go into my nearest vodafone store...where an 'expert' would sort out my problem whilst I wait.
I went today....and sadly they couldn't sort out anything.

Now I'm aware that my mobile phone (and query) is probably laughable to most high-tech hardcore phone people....but I wish that vodafone would have sent such a warning of it's intent to movie the 'Opera Mini' goalposts (so to speak) when I had the chance to do something about it.....or at very least, not bother topping up this month.
I know that the intention behind actions like this to get customers to buy new phones....but I don't want a new phone....I just want the service that I paid for in my monthly price plan.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with Opera Mini?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hello @dolemite72

Ive not used your make and model of phone so cannot comment on Opera Mini on it. 

I have however used Opera Mini over the years and like some of the features it gives. 

Are you able to download another option such as Google Chrome ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the reply

Sadly the device only runs from Opera Mini (it's the first, and only port of call regarding the internet)

The guys in the Vodafone store today, told me that Opera Mini is getting fazed out (hence these actions) yet this notice I've been given states otherwise?

BandOfBrothers

@dolemite72 wrote:

The guys in the Vodafone store today, told me that Opera Mini is getting fazed out (hence these actions) yet this notice I've been given states otherwise?

I've not yet seen that this is happening across the board. 

Sometimes a service / app can become incompatible for older devices / firmware. 

Current Phone  >

BandOfBrothers

@dolemite72 wrote:

Thanks for the reply

Sadly the device only runs from Opera Mini (it's the first, and only port of call regarding the internet)

Ah I see. 

I ran a Google Search and as well as other return hits included this > http://www.dertz.in/apps/p/download-Vodafone-Chat+655-free-apps-5130.htm?q=google+chrome

Please note any links / information or instructions within the link are not endorsed by me and used at your own discretion. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks for the quick (and helpful response) Bandofbrothers (much appreciated)

I'll have a look through that list...I'm just not sure if I can transfer the updates from that page on another device and transfer it to my phone?

BandOfBrothers

You're Welcome.  :Smiling:

My knowledge is insufficient on your model of phone thus I don't want to cause any harm. 

Perhaps use good old Google to see if you can see further help. 

Current Phone  >