cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

What is the size of the Vodafone mobile broadband IP pool?

ALKE444
4: Newbie

Hi folks,

I recently got my first dongle and I see the IP is dynamic. I would like to know what size the IP pool is for Vodafone mobile as I would like some idea of the chances of being assigned the same IP on different occasions.

Thanks,

Ally

8 REPLIES 8

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

It is going to be huge, with multiple batches of NAT and PAT going on through the vodafone network before hitting the outside world.

Is the same IP desired or a problem?

If desired you may be out of luck.

Thanks for the reply.

What I DON'T want is the same one being assigned to me twice. i.e. I would be nice to know if I connect 50,000 times, the chances of 2 of those 50,000 IPs assignments being the same are almost nil so if my IP is registered by a website it will not be duplicated.

grolschuk

From that side then, I am not sure how long the leases last, you may find once the dongle has been issued an address, it is going to be the same for a day or 5, but once that lease expires it will then pick up a different address.

I've tried unplugging the dongle and putting it back in and it's a new IP straight away, so I was wondering the size of the pool it takes the IP from?

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi ALKE444,

There’s a chance you could be assigned the same IP address twice.

As for the size of the pool, this is something we’re unable to provide.

Thanks,

Gemma

Hi Gemma,

Thanks for your response.

Can I ask if there is differences in the pools between SIMs? i.e. if I get a second dongle SIM, is that going to be pulling from a different pool or is it all going to be the same?

Hi ALKE444,

It'll be the same pool of IP's regardless of SIM card.

Thanks,

Matt B

ALKE444 wrote "What I DON'T want is the same one being assigned to me twice. i.e. I would be nice to know if I connect 50,000 times, the chances of 2 of those 50,000 IPs assignments being the same are almost nil so if my IP is registered by a website it will not be duplicated"

Would someone please explain why that matters?