Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WiFi R205

Watugi
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All

I've just got one of these devices as I work on a ship and I'm away for long periods and it allows me to keep in touch with the family.

It works really well. However one massive disappointment is the fact that if you press the power button twice the unit displays the SSID and the passcode !!!!!

Needless to say, people have been helping themselves to my wifi connection.

It seems the only way to stop them doing this is to use MAC selective connection - that way only devices I authorise will be allowed to connect. However I've tried several times to add my laptop and my phone, but the software just says "loading" but nothing happens and the screen just starts back where it started.

Is this a known fault ?

I go away again on Wednesday and really want this resolved before I go so that my data doesnt get eaten up by unwelcome guests !!!

Graham

85 REPLIES 85

I had a R205 on the latest firmware and it was giving VERY slow download speeds (0.4 mbit down). So in the same location I put my SIM in a colleague's R205 and another R206 and my SIM was geting 4 to 5 mbit down.

Put my SIM back in my own R205 and it would go to 0.4 mbit download speeds. I did a factory reset on the device and still had the same provlems.

I then had Vodafone swap this for another R205 and I get the SAME problem on the new device which is either a massive coincidence or something else would be very strange.

Anyone have any ideas before I get on the phone to VF and get them to send me ANOTHER R205?

Thanks,

TD

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi TD,

Please confirm the firmware version you've got. I'm not aware of any known issues, but I'll be happy to check in with our technicians for you. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

Thanks Ben. Yes would be good to know if there is some known issue.

Software version is the current 4.0 release. This was on both the R205 devices I have had so very strange.

Hi TopDog129,

We're not aware of an issue, but we need to resolve this.

The easiest way is to swap the modem for you.

Take a look here for how to get in touch.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact Us page.

Thanks.

Ian

Hi ai have the same problem for mac filtering, when I add anything this just times out after a period of time back to the login page with no settings saved.

also I have the same problem when I try to add a NAT,  does V4 firmware correct this also?

thanks

headcheese
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hello,

I THINK the NAT works OK on the version 4 devices (one of my colleagues has it with him at the moment, so I can't confirm 100% right now).

What you were getting with NAT is pretty much the same as what I was getting witht he black/white listing.

I take it you're currently running firmware version 3?

yes Im running 3.8 firmware and yes I get exactly the same thing with MAC filtering, it's as if I dont have write permissions to certain functions like MAC Filtering and NAT, if I try to add NAT or Mac Filtering the device thinks about it with the spinning wheel for 5-10 mins then takes you straight back to the Login page so you dont even get the chance to save!

NAT is the important one for me as Im getting mixed messages about whether Vodafone support NAT however even if this is true then it should at least let you save the settings but ofcourse the rule just wouldnt work, if NAT doesnt work I will be very disapointed as the Device & the Advanced set up manual do give you the impresson its possible.

thanks

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi bonkers,

To be honest I'm not sure of the answer to your query but I've asked the question to one of our more technical experts. 

As soon as I've got any news on this I'll come back to you. 

Thanks,

Phil

Phil

dazlicious, I've sent you a PM.  Please follow the instructions I've included in there and we'll be able to get the firmware sent over to you. 

bonkers, due to the complex nature of what I believe you're trying to set up and achieve here, I would actually recommend that you liaise with the account management and/or data bearer network support. 

Thanks,

Phil

just sent the contact us into has rerquested Phil in the PM