Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WiFi R205

Watugi
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All

I've just got one of these devices as I work on a ship and I'm away for long periods and it allows me to keep in touch with the family.

It works really well. However one massive disappointment is the fact that if you press the power button twice the unit displays the SSID and the passcode !!!!!

Needless to say, people have been helping themselves to my wifi connection.

It seems the only way to stop them doing this is to use MAC selective connection - that way only devices I authorise will be allowed to connect. However I've tried several times to add my laptop and my phone, but the software just says "loading" but nothing happens and the screen just starts back where it started.

Is this a known fault ?

I go away again on Wednesday and really want this resolved before I go so that my data doesnt get eaten up by unwelcome guests !!!

Graham

85 REPLIES 85

I have the same issue if you press the power button twice it shows the password but checked and i am on firmware version 4.

Another issue i seem to have is i keep losing the 3g signal and going on edge when i had a r201 never had this problem  at the same location and its fine on my iphone too

How do. Find out what software version I am on?

and can I update to the latest version if it exists

darren

Edit.....appears I'm on 3.8

any new features of a later Verizon....

headcheese
16: Advanced member

Hello.

From tinkering with a couple of R205s (I've got firmware 4 on one and 3 on the other) it looks like the displaying of the SSID and SSID key on power button double tap is by design (i.e. the R205 is supposed to do this) for convinience. There's not an option to turn this off with either versions of the firmware, but given the nature of this forum thread that might change in the future.

For people that want to restrict who can and can't connect to the R205 there are mac address black and white listing options in the administration console, but I've foudn that this only works properly with firmware version 4 on the R205.

So if you want to restrict who can and can't connect to the R205:

- Flash the R205 with firmware v4

- Make a note of the MAC address of the device(s) you want to use it with (ipconfig/all in windows command prompt, settings > about > hardware information on android - not sure about other kit)

- Connect a computer to the R205 via WiFi

- open a browser and enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar

- Click on Wifi in the red bar at the top

- Click on MAC settings (on the left hand side)

- Turn on MAC address filtering and add the MAC address you made a note of int he previous step to the whitelist

- Save your changes

After doing this the device with the MAC address you added will be the only one able to connect to the R205. If you want to use other devices with it add their MAC addresses to the white list in the same manner. Only devices with MAC addresses will be allowed to use the R205.

If you think someone is connecting to your R205 that shouldn't be check under the connected devices section on the right hand side of the admin interface. I think this gives the MAC addresses of conencted devices. Using this information you can add naughty MAC addresses to the blacklist in the WiFi > MAC settings seciton of the admin itnerface.

Hope that helps.

Where can we get the latest firmware from i am on version 3 still

I have written some Windows software that synchronises an off-line SQL database with one on-line. I cannot get it to connect to my website through my R205 but it DOES connect via my domestic router. I can connect to the Internet via the R205 with my browser, so it is either a setting on the R205, something I might need to do to my code or possibly the R205 NAT doesn't work properly (and it isn't NAT, it's port-forwarding). My program sends HTTP GETs through port 80, but I don't understand why I can browse which also uses port 80. Has anyone managed to add a working NAT entry? I've used a packet sniffer (Wireshark) and can see that the TCP 3-way handshake does take place and can see the source and destination IP addresses and ports are the same as in the NAT settings. Also, my website's log shows that it isn't receiving the request.

I contacted Huawei who suggested I switch off the R205 and reset to factory defaults - I think I am way beyond that level of reply!!!

The sole reason for buying the R205 was to run my software in the field. The R205 is only 2 months old and has firmware v4

Mike

headcheese

Hi Mike,

Have you turned it off and on again?.... just kidding!

If you're sending HTTP GET out on port 80 then I don't think you'd need to use the NAT/port forwarding on the router, and it's far more likely that something else is causing the problem you're seeing. You could probably prove this if you tried using a dongle or a phone as a tethered modem. How you'd go about this (if you have the facility at all) will depend on the kit you have access to. It's possible to use the R205 as a tethered modem (therefore eliminating the router/port forwarding side of things) by plugging it into your system with a cable, and installing Vodafone Mobile Broadband (which should hapen automatically).

It's possible that it's caused by the optimisation that occurs within the Vodafone network. Does any SQL related information get put into the headers of the packets? Do you know which APN you're using, and/or if you're a contract/prepay customer? 

If the requests aren't hitting your website then things aren't sounding good as far as getting it working is concerned. I guess what you could do with is someone who can see what your packets are doing inside the Vodafone network. I would have thought this would be some kind of engineer type person, perhaps. As a thought, it might be worth calling in to customer services to see how you'd go about getting something like this investigated.

If you do get a chance to try the R205 as a tethered modem it would be great to know how you get on.

Hi -

I have the same issue with my company issue R205 - I cannot setup port forwarding ot MAC filtering.

Please send me the update.

Thanks

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi trennas,

I've sent the file to your registered email address.

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben, I replied to Sukhi's message earlier for a link to the latest firmware on the weekend but still haven't heard anything.

Please could you PM me the link. I have some problems with the R205 and very slow download speeds so just trying to figure out what the problem might be.

Thanks,

TD

Hi TopDog129,

I've emailed the link to your registered email address.

Thanks.

Ian