cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

could network problems be causing installation problems..?

helenhuntermjj
4: Newbie

Hiya,

I have a USB for my laptop but have started experiencing problems with my Skype just over a week ago.  Previously it worked perfectly.  It was suggested that I de-install Skype and try re-installing it.  I managed to de-install it and have followed all the instructions and cleared the cache and browsing history; however when I try to re-install it, I receive a notification that the download will take 'greater than 12 hours'....!!!  Skype seem to think it's a problem with the network coverage.  I live in the Bexleyheath area and according to the website there could be a problem here, so I brought my laptop to work and have tried again to connect here but the same thing is happening. (I work in East London).  Could these problems be solely due to the network coverage...?

9 REPLIES 9

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi helenhuntermjj,

We'll be happy to investigate this.

Please try the steps in our Network Troubleshooting thread.

If you are still experiencing the issue after completing these steps, post the template with your answers here and I'll have a member of the team get back to you ASAP.

Thanks

DaveCD

helenhuntermjj
4: Newbie

Hi Guys,

Please can you help...?

I have been having problems with my internet connection, using my dongle, for about 2 weeks now.  Previously it has been working perfectly.  Since about the 11th June, I have been totally unable to use the internet, especially Skype to make video calls, as Skype keeps telling me my connection is too slow.  Browsing the internet had also significantly slowed down.  Thinking that the problem may have been with Skype, I uninstalled it and then tried to re-install it but was then completely unable to do so, as it kept telling me the download was only 66kb per sec and would take over 12 hours....!!!  I therefore cleared the cache and browsing history on my laptop, temporarily disabled anti virus and firewall but still couldn't re-install Skype.  I succesfully managed to re-install in 30 seconds using a WiFi connection in Starbucks; however I still cannot use it as I keep getting messages to say that the connection is too slow to support media files and video calls.  It doesn't matter what time of the day I try, the problem is still the same.  This has never been a problem before, it's always worked really well.

I've also had the same problem intermittently trying to use the Skype App on my phone. It might occasionally connect but then the call drops, saying the signal isn't strong enough.

I live in the Bexleyheath DA6 area and it seemed from the website that there has been a problem recently which is supposedly resolved, but unfortunately I'm still having the same problems.  I use video calling a lot, so this is a bit upsetting. 

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be and how I can solve it...??

thanks

Helen

Hi Helen,

If you follow step 6 in the link that DaveCD provided above, we'll be able to get our Network team to look into this for you.

It may also be worth trying your dongle in another laptop, this will rule out any hardware issue.

Thanks,

Matt B

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service? I also took it to my work and tried it there and the same thing happens

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the eForum, add it to your profile here. DA6 7DZ

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone? N/A - it's not my phone, it's my laptop dongle

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?  message from Skype "your connection speed is too slow to use video calling" "there is a problem with the connection between you too" etc...

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all? 3G

6) When did you first notice this issue? approx 11 June

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?  It seems to be permanent at the moment, no matter what time of day I try, I am just unable to make video calls because the connection is too slow. I have now managed to re-install Skype sucessfully using a public wi-fi and it all works perfectly well when I've used a wi-fi connection. I can browse the internet normally again, but I just can't get a good enough signal to support video calling. I never used to have a problem with it. 😞

Hi helenhuntermjj,

It sounds like the site may be a little congested. Can you go to www.speedtest.net and tell me what speeds you’re getting?

Thanks,

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I ran the test and it gave the following:

download speed - 5.72 mbs

upload speed - 2.16 mbs

I'm still able to watch Youtube and ITVPlayer etc etc... so it's a bit baffling as to why I am suddenly unable to make video calls....

thanks

Hi helenhuntermjj,

Those speeds seem reasonable enough for video calls.

Are there any settings within Skype that would restrict this?

Are there any settings within Skype that would allow you to turn the quality down, so that you can try it again?

Thanks,

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I've tried having a look at the settings within Skype, but I can't adjust them and now it seems that it has given up connecting altogether.

I have also tried using video call features in Facebook and Google / Gmail but each time I receive a message on screen saying 'problem - your connection may be too slow' or 'there is a problem with this call please check your connection' or check with your service provider that they haven't blocked it, or words to that effect....

My next step will be to get the laptop looked at to see if there is a hardware issue, but I'm all out of ideas now as to what could be causing this and why it just stopped working so suddenly when it previously hadn't been a problem.

thank you

Hi helenhuntermjj,

It’s very strange, as the speeds look good.

Have you tried it in another PC/Laptop? This would rule out/confirm an issue with the laptop.

Thanks,

Wayne