You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
kalim

download speeds

i only started using the dongle today but no matter what connection i get the download speed seems to be rubbish. i checked the network coverage and it says i am supposed to get excellent coverage in my area, but for some reason the download speed always seems to be low or doesnt work at all. My postcode is SL2 5AH, any help you can give me?

Message 1 of 8 (4,441 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
jarviser

Re: download speeds

what colour is the LED on the dongle?

Message 2 of 8 (4,402 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Hi kalim

Welcome to the eForum :smileyvery-happy: it is always good to see new faces on here.

I have just checked your area and can see that you are in a good area.

jarviser is asking a good question, what colour like do you have on the dongle, and what make is it?

If you can get back to us with the above information as that will help :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks

Martin

eForum Team

Message 3 of 8 (4,366 Views)
kalim

its light blue

Message 4 of 8 (4,282 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi Kalim,

Apologies, as Martin said we need the model of the dongle as well to look into this.

We also need to check a few things with you.

Firstly, when you open the toolkit, what connections does it say are available? If it refers to Vodafione 2G, for example, then that will explain the slowness.

Secondly, is this account a pay monthly or pay as you go account This will help gusto identify what may be slowing you down.

What type of computer are you using the dongle with - is it a PC, a laptop, a Mac?

Do you have an issue connecting whether you're in this location or others? Does the low speed  come and go at all?

Finally for now, do you get any sort of error message displayed at any point, or does anything unusual happen whilst you are connected?

More information always equals easy to resolve, so don't be afraid to let us know anything you think may be useful.

Dave

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 5 of 8 (4,238 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
JoanHunterDunn

kalim wrote:

its light blue

Well you have the full HSDPA (3G+) so you should get a decent download of between 0.5 and 2 meg typically from a strong streaming server, not obviously from some minor file store across the ocean.  e.g. Kaspersky labs updates are painfully slow.

Can you give us the result of a Speedtest.net test? It depends on what you class as "rubbish" and where you are downloading from.

You can improve general performance by changing DNS servers but that will not affect file download speed. 

Message 6 of 8 (4,210 Views)
snspix

We have over 6 Mobile Broadband accounts with Vodafone and have seen the speeds nose dive.

We mainly use this for FTP and in doing some research other network providers are restricting usage like You Tube, Downloads and FTP data sending to free up the network badwidth as they are vastly over subscribed.

I wonder if Vodafone are doing the same?

We can have a full 3G signal like this morning and FTP sending is down to 2.6kb!
Message 7 of 8 (4,172 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
jarviser

[ Edited ]

I just FTP'd a 2MB file in about 30 seconds (average 380kbps which is the maximum UPload speed expected on a 3.6mbps service) and it's peak time. Maybe your mast connection has a problem or you are too far away, or the FTP site is slow?

So it's not throttling by Vodafone unless I am exempt from it, which I doubt as I'm just a PAYG prole .  

Message 8 of 8 (4,155 Views)