Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPad mobile data allowance cap

PeteThePete
4: Newbie

As well as my iPhone, last year I also bought an iPad for my daughter to use. It came with a monthly 5Gb data allowance.

Whilst at home, she's connected to the wifi and can use the broadband to her heart's content. But, if we go out in the car, etc she takes her tablet with her and, being a kid, normally ends up on YouTube. We've found that she does use up quite a bit of her monthly 5Gb allowance.

I want to be able to put a cap on her usage, so that she's ok to use that whole 5Gb but as soon as she does, then no more and it's home / wifi use only (or she can then tether to my phone via a Hotspot).

When we bought the tablet, the Vodafone Shop assured us that this cap existed and could be easily set up. Guess what, that doesn't appear to be the case!

On contacting Vodafone initially, I was told to send a text from her tablet to turn the cap on... you can't send texts from a tablet.

Next contact - try using the My Vodafone app. When it actually works, this isn't an option on there either.

Next contact - apparently the Online Chat people don't have access to this either for "my own security"???

I was advised that by logging in online and going under her settings, I could turn her data off - this apparently does exactly that, turns her data off regardless of whether she's reached her allowance or not.

Does anyone else have any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

"A data cap is one of the tools available in Vodafone Data Manager, and is included in all Pay monthly phone and SIM only bundles bought after 5 May 2016, and Mobile Broadband and tablet bundles bought after 28 September 2016. It gives you control over your data usage and spending."

From https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Account-bill-and-top-up/My-allowance-usage-and-charges/Data-capping/9...

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

BandOfBrothers

It's a lot to do with self monitoring which is what the Vodafone myvodafone should do. 

Also the ipad will have an inbuilt data monitor that shows what's using what and needs to be reset at each allowance refresh date. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks, but any idea how I turn the cap on?

I assume the Contract wax taken out after the date I highlighted ?

How do I turn my data caps on and off?

Current Phone  >

Yes, November 2016.

I've tried using the My Vodafone app on her tablet and (when the app actually works) it doesn't let me change anything.

When I log in online, all I can see are the options to turn on/off her mobile data altogether - to me, this isn't a cap it's just me manually having to keep track of her data from one day to the next and therefore my fault if I miss that she's on the cusp of her allowance.

Thanks for your help/advice on this.

You're Welcome. 

Maybe Live Chat or Customer service by phone can guide you through the myvodafone settings. 

Link > Contact us.

Current Phone  >