Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

250mb sim (Argos) and dongles trouble

tpprynn2012
2: Seeker

I mislaid my Vodafone mobile Broadband PAYG sim a couple of days ago somehow while switching back and forth between two dongles as the one that was normally better was being difficult. Then I used my phone as a bluetooth modem for a while but had hoped to get a new sim and credit without buying an unnecessary dongle again. I can't remember if i was in a Vodafone shop or 3 when I got a price for a sim only once that was either the same cost as a sim with dongle or fractionally less, so I didn't bother going to the Vodafone shop. The page in the Argos catalogue dealing with the 250mb tablet & micro sims - to tide me over till i could get a new sim on eBay - seemed to be a Vodafone blurb and there is a picture of a dongle there suggesting no problems using these sims with a dongle. This sim is not working with either of my dongles - k3805-z & k3570-z - and this is even after ringing customer Care and being put through to a technical person who got me to put the sim in my phone and switch on and off twice. Apparently it needed 'activating' but why doesn't it just happen when you use it? It would take, I was told, no more than a couple of hours if that, but the time has passed. The outlay was 'only' £5 but I am quite narked as the Argos page gives the impression things should work, as did both people on the CC line. I have since bought a sim and 2gb of data on eBay, just about navigating the payment via slow bluetooth modem but it's not due to come for a couple of days and I do have some stuff to attend to about my home and plumbing etc that being PAYG on the phone is best dealt with online. If I can have the 250mb sim working somehow if someone at Vodafone would happen to know how this Vodafone product works that would be helpful. I've been with Vodafone with these dongles for nearly four years and it's headache after headache, with no sign of any broadband company offering real broadband for those of us that don't want a television or landline in their home being why I've stuck with the dongles. Cheers for any official or unofficial info.

Also if amending config anywhere or using Linux is the pasword stuff still web, web and ppbundle.internet for these 250mb sims?

Stuff I forgot before: Windows 7 64 bit pc, Windows 7 Starter netbook(32 bit), Ubuntu 10.04.4 and only the dongle's built in VMB lite as the newest version does not recognise the better of the two dongles so isn't an option.

If for any reason, and if it's certain, that I won;t get online with this sim can i add another £5 to it and get normal phone credit and set that up for the package that gives 500mb 'net and 300 txts just to salvage it?

3 REPLIES 3

tpprynn2012

I think I've ascertained that the APN may be different and not ppbundle.internet?

I've left the box in VMC Lite (10.0.2...) under one of the tabs in Priorities > Settings blank for the this and unticked the box under about authentication and am online with the slower of the two dongles, haven't tried the better one yet.

I imagine ideally if i'm going to use these 250mb sims sometimes I'd need to know what should be used instead of web, web and ppbundle.internet for the relevant boxes, so I could then save a profile for them. If anyone can tell me?

Should have been on the leaflet that came with the sim though.

Thanks for any help on the way.

This is still unresolved and I would be interested in a reply. The version of VMC with the better dongle won't let me do anything about the APN effectively - when I eventually found a relvant box to alter it didn't help to do so like it did with VMC 10 something or tother that came with my slower dongle, and I can't use the better dongle with another version of VMC.

It would be a lot better if the drivers for these dongles were separate from VMC and would not be removed by uninstalling VMC, or at least that all Huawei and ZTE drivers were included with VMC when a new version comes out.

I need to know what the right APN and passwords are for these 250mb sims still.

Thanks.

Hi tpprynn2012 and welcome to the eForum

I’m going to send you a private message with information on how to get into contact with us so that we can check what APN you are using and then provide the necessary settings for that APN.

You can find your PM inbox here

Thanks

Wayne