Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Airtel-Vodafone K3520 dongle - Use in UK

batesrd
Not applicable
I bought a K3520 Pay As You Go dongle from Airtel-Vodafone in the Channel Islands. They told me that I could use this dongle in the UK or elsewhere in Europe if I bought a Vodafone SIM card in the relevant country - important for me because I travel quite a bit.

The first time I visited the UK, the Vodafone shop I went to refused to sell me a SIM card for the dongle, saying they didn't sell the SIM cards separately and I had to buy a new dongle and SIM card together.

I reported this to Airtel-Vodafone back in the Channel Islands, who told me Vodafone were "being naughty" and I mustn't say the SIM card was for a dongle, but for a mobile - curious advice, but there we are.

I am now back in the UK, I duly did as Airtel-Vodafone suggested and the Vodafone shop did indeed sell me a SIM card.

However..... I can't get it to work in my dongle! When I dial up, I get a message saying:

"Could not open network connection.

Check that the APN, user name and password in the current connection settings are correct.
If the problem persists, please try deleting the current connection settings, and re-starting the application."

Any suggestions as to how I get it to work?
4 REPLIES 4

Retired-Albert_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Richard

Welcome the Vodafone UK eForum :)

It is my sad duty to report that the Channel islands advice is incorrect.

The sim cards for USB modems are structured differently from voice sim cards. Our store was correct in declining to sell you a "loose" sim when you explained what it was for. It would be classed as mis-selling , as they know it won't work in your USB modem.

Buying a standard payt Vodafone sim card, anywhere in the world will not work in a USB modem. Each country has it's own USB sim cards and they must be sold as a pack with the device.

I am sorry but there is no fix or workaround to make this work for you.

Best wishes

Albert
eForum team

Hi there, I have just returned from Guernsey where i was working for the last 3 months, and bought a Dongle from them that i was told was unlocked and basically that i could buy a sim card and replace then one in it.
i also went into a vodaphone shop and got the same response? AS in the channel island any sim can work in the Dongles, i was told that they had to be data sims, Surely this information has to be passed on to the people selling these dongles. I was told it would roam but it does not! please can you help?

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hello flojo

You would be unable to get a Vodafone UK SIM for use in the dongle you have purchased in Guernsey.  The SIM is sold as part and package with the dongle.

The Guernsey dongle could have a roaming restriction and roaming would need to be enable by the Guernsey network and, with roaming charges, the dongle would be very expensive to use on Vodafone UK.   The cheaper option would be to purchase a Vodafone UK dongle which you would be able to top up and use in the UK.

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

The Guernsey dongle could have a roaming restriction and roaming would need to be enable by the Guernsey network

Just to avoid any confusion, the dongle may be locked to the Guernsey network, and might need unlocking to permit foreign SIMs. However, it would be the Guernsey SIM which would have the roaming restriction; using another SIM would circumvent any network-based roaming restriction set by Guernsey.

:Smiling:

Neil