cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cannot use non Vodaphone dongles on my laptop after installing a Vodaphone Dongle

maglor
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have had two working dongles on my Windows 7 laptop.  An O2 dongle and a 3 dongle.   Both worked fine, launch the correct software and connect.  I could interchange between the dongles at will.

The O2 dongle is now history, replaced with a Vodaphone dongle and the installation of the Vodaphone Mobile Broadbad 10.2 controller.

The Vodaphone dongle works fine, launching and connecting to the Vodaphone network.

The 3 dongle is now useless.   When I plug that in, the Vodaphone software lauches and obviously fails to connect, with a message of Invalid SIM.

I have tried starting the 3 dongle immediatly after  booting the machine, but to the same effect.

To use the 3 dongle I end up having to uninstall the Vodaphone Software.    This is rather inconvienient solution.   Is there any way around this.   This seems rather an uncompetative stance by Vodaphone, in that it is damaging the competition.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi maglor,

Thanks for coming back to us on this.

This is due to both of the 3 and Vodafone software trying to control the connections.

First of all, before you start the 3 software, ensure that the Vodafone software isn’t running in the system tray in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. (See below if you are ensure what this is) If it is, you can right click on the icon and close it down.

System tray.JPG

If that doesn’t work, then you’ll need to use the Dial up Network (DUN) connections for each Modem (3 and Vodafone) and use those separately.

To get to this, go to the Start Menu (Or the Windows Icon on Windows 7 in the bottom left hand corner) and click ‘Computer’, then click on ‘Network and Internet’ then Network Status and Tasks and the respective connections should be in there.

Please let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions just let us know.

Thanks

Wayne

If you have a spare minute could you please take the time to fill out a short feedback form about me?

You can do so here

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there maglor,

Thanks for your post.

I agree that it's rather overbearing for the VMB software to prevent the 3 dongle from working. It's also very cumbersome for you to have to uninstall and reinstall the software time and again.

Could you let me know the full version of VMB that you are currently using please?

You could try the latest software, available at the link below if you're not already on it :Winking_smiley:

Vodafone Mobile Broadband

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Lee

I installed the new version of the VMB product, and the problem still persists.   The product lauches when I insert a three dongle, (The three software also lauches).

The Vodaphone product thinks the Dongle is a Vodaphone dongle, but then pops up an error message stating the SIM is invalid.  The Mobile connection though shows the network as the three network

The three control panel does not allow me to do anthing as Vodaphone has taken over the connection.

I require the three dongle as that gives me a fast connection at home (HPSA), while Vodaphone only manages  a GPRS connection where I live.

The Vodaphone dongle is a K3770, the three dongle is a E1750

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi maglor,

Thanks for coming back to us on this.

This is due to both of the 3 and Vodafone software trying to control the connections.

First of all, before you start the 3 software, ensure that the Vodafone software isn’t running in the system tray in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. (See below if you are ensure what this is) If it is, you can right click on the icon and close it down.

System tray.JPG

If that doesn’t work, then you’ll need to use the Dial up Network (DUN) connections for each Modem (3 and Vodafone) and use those separately.

To get to this, go to the Start Menu (Or the Windows Icon on Windows 7 in the bottom left hand corner) and click ‘Computer’, then click on ‘Network and Internet’ then Network Status and Tasks and the respective connections should be in there.

Please let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions just let us know.

Thanks

Wayne

If you have a spare minute could you please take the time to fill out a short feedback form about me?

You can do so here