Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dongle attached to pc chewing through allowance at alarming rate

ebonybailey
2: Seeker
Got a 1gb dongle as my Internet is down from sky, it's attached to a pc, no other devices, nothing running at all other than my firewall, yet the Vodafone software is showing I'm downloading !!! I disconnected it after 10seconds, in this time is had downloaded 25mb!! At this rate the 1gb won't last 20 minutes , what the hell is going on???
Help needed ASAP using my phones 3G to send this. To scared to reconnect dongle.
5 REPLIES 5

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Without having access to the PC I don't see how anyone will be able to tell you what is happening. It could be a mutlitude of different things. An open browser, a mail client looking for or sending emails, Skype? These are just some examples of programmes that could be sending and receiving data.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

ebonybailey
As I said only thing running is firewall, no browser open, no Skype running, no email client. Ctrl alt delete and stopped all non essentials running. There is nothing that connects to the Internet running other than avg firewall and that's not downloading 22mb in 10 seconds, it's not doing updates either

Hi @ebonybailey

There has to be something running in the background of the computer for the data to be being used.

Cheers,

Laura

Laura can u call me to get restrictions removed, u will hear from my voice that I am over 18. I can pm u my number

Hi @ebonybailey

We’re unable to arrange call backs straight from the eForum. You can contact us using Live help.

What ‘restrictions’ are you referring to? If it’s content control, we’ll need proof of age.

You can find out how to remove it here – Content control

Thanks,

Simon