Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huge data bill with R215 - blank cheque to Vodafone

aaaagggg
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a contract 3GB R215 and left on a 4G network this can run up a huge bill very quickly if your laptop does Google drive sync. or equivalent. I understand if I was PAYG I would be protected from data overrun, but by being on contract its a blank cheque to VF and a risk everytime I switch the thing on!

How can I cap the service limit to my 3GB payment level so it doesn't run up a huge bill again?

Or how can I configure the R215 device so that it disconnects when the data count approaches 3GB forcing some manual intervention?

I have been told I should ring 444555 to monitor data usage, but I'm not sure how that works with a R215?

Does the R215 have any public web services APIs that I could invoke to monitor data and then disconnect by building my own app?

2 REPLIES 2

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi @aaaagggg 

We're not able to automatically cap your usage on any device I'm afraid.  

I'd recommend monitoring your account using My Vodafone rather than 44555.  

Alternatively, there may be third party applications that you can get.  Our Community may be able to recommend some for you.  

Thanks, 

Phil

Obviously Vodafone find a way of data capping on PAYG because suddenly its their money, but for contract this is still a blank cheque to sit one of these routers down and leave unattended. It is scary that this thing can eat my monthly data limit in about 50 minutes on 4G.

So the only recommendation I have collected so far from various VF sources are:-

1) wait for contract to expire and don't use in the meantime then go PAYG

2) be very careful and watch every byte go past with the web site

3) find some 3rd party app that monitors and forces manual intervention when the a limit is breached

This is VERY disappointing that Vodafone don't see this as a problem or even a bug in the R215 firmware/web app.

No wonder you guys want to bundle Netflix subscriptions.