Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K3635 Error Installing .net

AndyGr
3: Seeker
I bought a K3565 PAYG dongle today for use in my laptop running XP SP3. When I plug it in it's recognised and the software starts to run the Install Shield wizard. After about 30 seconds it fails with a message "1603 : Error installing Microsoft® .Net Framework". Any thoughts on the cause and how I can get round it?
4 REPLIES 4

AndyGr
I found a knowledgebase article on this error that suggested removing all versions of .NET Framework (I had version 1.1 plus SP1) and reinstalling, so I did this but I still get the same error.

Retired-MattyD1
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Andy

Thanks for the post and welcome to the Vodafone eForum :)

I'm sorry to see you've been having problems setting up the dongle.

When you've tried the dongle, did it install any software at all?

If so can you remove that and then try again to.

The other thing I'd ask you to do, daft as it sounds is to try the modem in a different port if possible.

I've had a good look round and asked afew people about this and they seem stumped.

I've checked up on the Microsoft site and other than the uninstall and reinstall on the .Net Framework the only other thing I've come across is a cleanup tool from the Microsoft help and support.

However, I'd have a good read through all the bits and pieces before you try this, as I've never done it myself and I don't know anyone who has, so I'm a little dubious about recommending it.

Please let me know how you get on

Thanks

MattyD

eForum team

AndyGr
Hi Matty,

Thanks for your reply. No software was installed, and I did try on another port and got the same error. I also saw the article that mentiond the cleanup tool but I am reluctant to use it unless everything else fails to work.

I have now tried the dongle in an old laptop and while it took quite a long time it has installed successfully and I've got a GPRS connection OK (the best that I can expect where I am at the moment). That laptop has .NET Framework 2.0 installed so I think I will go back to the original laptop, remove 1.1 and install 2.0 instead to see if that makes a difference. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks,

Andy

AndyGr
Finally success!

Installing .NET 2.0 failed miserably so eventually I decided to risk using the unofficial cleanup tool. I tried it once and got the same error but then tried a second time and after letting windows update install .NET SP1 and a further security fix it has now allowed my VMC install to complete, and I've been able to connect to the internet. Now I just need to get up the nerve to try installing it on my Linux netbook :o