Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K3805-Z Blue Screen

mrgbush
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this, I have a Dell Latitude D620  and a K3805-z vodafone donle with the latest software from the site.

The dongle once inserted works fine I get a signal and all is great however if I then disconnect the dongle (after removing safelty through windows) and reconnect it again without restarting the laptop blue screens saying there is a disk error.

I have tried many different ways to close the software etc are there any processes that still run in the background that might be causing this?

I dont believe this to be an OS issue as the laptop build is a fresh XP SP3 build with no software on other than office and Vodafone mobile broadband.

I dont understand why the dongle works on a one hit wonder basis.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Mrgbush

Welcome to the eForum!

It sounds like there might be hardware or software compatibility issue with your PC

Have you tried a clean boot to see if this helps?

To Apply “Clean Boot” on Windows XP:

1. Click Start > Run.

2. In the Run window, type following text:

msconfig

3. Click OK.

The System Configuration Utility appears.

4. Click the General tab.

Click on Selective Startup and make sure that "Load System Services" is the only item checked.

(You will be unable to unselect "Use Original BOOT.INI." This is OK).

5. Click the Services tab.

6. Select Hide all Microsoft Services.

Warning Do not skip this step. You must hide the Microsoft Services before you go on to step 7.

7. Clear all the services that are still displayed on the Services tab.

8. Click Apply > OK.

9. Click Restart.

If error is cleared then indicates a conflict with another service or application running on the machine. This will require enabling each service/application one by one and retesting to find the service/application at fault. You can cut this process down by first only enabling all services for example and seeing what the fault follows. Once establishing whether it is a startup item or service causing the issue, you can re-enable the relevant batches e.g. five at a time. If the fault returns after the reboot you know the fault is with one of the 5 items you have just re-enabled.

Note: When you have completed your troubleshooting, follow the steps in the next section to configure Windows to perform a normal startup.

To Reverse Clean Boot:

Restore your computer to its original settings

1. Rerun MSConfig utility as detailed above

2. On the general tab click Normal Startup.

3. Click OK.

4. Click Restart.

If your still experiencing this issue, I would suggest submitting your system configuration log and we can have a look further into this.

System Configuration Logs:
- Go to Start Menu.
- Type msinfo32 in the search bar and hit return to open the System Configuration Utility.
- Select File and Export.
- Enter a file name and save the file.

Thanks

BenJ

eForum Team 

Hi

Thanks for the update, I have followed the process and started with only the necessary services started and still the same problem.

I am able to connect the dongle once, connect/disconnect as many times as I like, but once I physically remove the device and re-insert the Blue Screen appears.

I have attached a System Log file as requested.

Many Thanks

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey mrgbush,

Many thanks for the system32 file.

I can't see anything that would be causing this.

Can you confirm for me which version of Vodafone Mobile Broadband (VMB) you are using?

Also, have you tried the dongle in a different USB port and if there are any SD cards in the dongle, can you replicate the error after removing the card?

Are there any other devices plugged into the laptop when the error occurs?

If so, have you tried removing them and again, trying to replicate the error?

Would it also be possible for you to screenshot the running apps when Windows starts up (taskmanager/processes)

Here's a guide on how to set up Windows to save dump files. They should then be saved in C:\Windows\Minidump. If you could set this up then upload them the next time the blue screen occurs we should be able to figure this one out.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi

Right there are 4 USB ports on the laptop and it makes no difference which ports I use, I have deleted all the ports and re added them still no success.

I have tried the latest Vodafone software along with the original software on the dongle, no difference.

Currently have Version 9.4.8.21929 installed.

I have attached three mini dumps from today, I thought maybe our AntiVirus might be causing the problem but I have disabled that and alas still no success.

Any help as always much appreciated

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey mrgbush,

I've had a look and can't be sure what's going on.

I'll have a word with a colleague and come back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi mrgbush

Your issue sounds like an OS error or 3rd party application conflict.

Are you using any disk encryption software on your PC? Look for BeCrypt.  It's possible that this software tries to automatically encrypt removable drive hence the reason for BSOD.

If BeCrypt is installed change registry RemovableEncryption key and set it to 0. It can be found under : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\w2kenc

I would also sugest downloading latest driver pack from Dell website if you haven't done that already.

HTH

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me, we do have Becrypt installed on all pur laptops, we dont have it set to encrypt any USB devices that get attached however this would make sense so I will check the registry and see what value has been set.

Fingers crossed your right.

Thanks again.

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi mrgbush,

My contact came back to me with almost the same response as ITworks.

Please let us know how this one pans out and I'll get back to my contact if you need any further assistance.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi

Sorry its taken a while to get back to you.

I have taken a look at the registry and can see that the "removable encryption" value is set to 0.

This does make sense as it if it was set to 1 even the first time the user inserted the USB dongle it should Blue Screen.

Any help as always much appreciated.