cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K3805-z in Lion: worked once but no go...

smorvan
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am unable to get my USB 3G card going in Lion.

I have installed the latest software downloaded from the vodafone web site, after uninstalling the version (3.x) that came on the 3G USB Dongle.

It did work, just once. Since then, and no matter how many time I install it, it never works.

1) The device does not show up as a proper 3G device in the VMB software,

2) The device does properly show up in the Network preference panel anytime it is connected,

3) I have tried to manually configure the connection (with *99# as the dial-in number) to bypass the vodafone sofware but it does not work either, I get an error stating that there are problem communicating with the modem).

It seems to point out to .kext and 3G modem drivers, but I did fully remove the application and tried reinstalling it, but it is a no go (I restarted in between of course).

The light blinks on the modem when inserted in my Macbook, but that's pretty much it.

Thanks for any help. 

7 REPLIES 7

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi smorvan

Can I get you to take a look over our Broadband troubleshooter thread first to see if there is anything there which matches any of the issues you're seeing?

If not, can you confirm the following for me?

- Did the dongle work on Lion before the upgrade?

- Do you see any specific error message or code?

- What light sequence do you see on the dongle when you try to use it?

- Have you tried an alternate USB port?

- Are you able to test the dongle is working on an alternate computer?

Dave

Thanks for responding. I will have a look at the troubleshooter.

- Did the dongle work on Lion before the upgrade?

> Yes, I am absolutely positive.

- Do you see any specific error message or code?

> Nope.

- What light sequence do you see on the dongle when you try to use it?

> It is blinking at a rather regular pace, perhaps 2 blinks per second.

- Have you tried an alternate USB port?

> Yes. I have two USB ports on my MacBook and both of them had problems.

- Are you able to test the dongle is working on an alternate computer?

> I will give it a shot on another machine.

Ok so install on XP is a no go on two different machines, as the software crashed hafway during the extraction of the installation files. Frankly, who puts out software that will not even extract correct nowadays?

The lights blinks in fact at a rather fast pace, say 4 or 5 times per second.

In the console, I found the following messages, repeated anytime I plug the USB key into the Mac:

Jan 23 22:42:43 Stephane-Mac kernel[0]: ### ZTEUSBMassStorageFilter::loading IOUSBMassStorageClass... ###
Jan 23 22:42:51 Stephane-Mac kernel[0]: cdc_usb_bus::probe: called, this driver support ZTE devices only.
Jan 23 22:42:51 Stephane-Mac kernel[0]: com_zte_driver_cdc_usb_bus::probe fails
Jan 23 22:42:51 Stephane-Mac kernel[0]: cdc_usb_bus::probe: called, this driver support ZTE devices only.
Jan 23 22:42:51 Stephane-Mac kernel[0]: com_zte_driver_cdc_usb_bus::probe fails
Jan 23 22:42:52 Stephane-Mac kernel[0]: cdc_usb_bus::probe: called, this driver support ZTE devices only.
Jan 23 22:42:52 Stephane-Mac kernel[0]: com_zte_driver_cdc_usb_bus::probe fails

This is what was displayed on that wonderful evening when it DID work:

Jan 18 20:21:52 70 kernel[0]: NMUSBCDCACMData::start: InterfaceMappings dictionary not found for this device. Assume CDC Device...
Jan 18 20:21:52 70 kernel[0]: NMUSBCDCACMData::start: do not search for USBCDC Device...
Jan 18 20:21:52 70 kernel[0]: NMUSBCDCACMData::findCDCDriverAD: found CDCClassname NMUSBCDC
Jan 18 20:21:52 70 kernel[0]: 0 9 NMUSBCDCACMData: start - Find CDC driver failed, return false
Jan 18 20:21:52 70 kernel[0]: AppleUSBCDC: Version number - 4.1.15
Jan 18 20:24:03 70 kernel[0]: Ethernet [AppleUSBCDCECMData]: Link up on en3, 10-Megabit, Full-duplex, No flow-control, Port 1, Debug [0000,0000,0000,0000,0000,0000]
Jan 18 20:24:15 70 kernel[0]: Ethernet [AppleUSBCDCECMData]: Link down on en3
Jan 18 20:31:03 70 kernel[0]: Ethernet [AppleUSBCDCECMData]: Link up on en3, 0-Megabit, Half-duplex, No flow-control, Port 1, Debug [0000,0000,0000,0000,0000,0000]

So I do suspect a driver problem. I have also installed the demo version of Nova Media's software, but this is not any better.

Any help? Anyone?

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member

So I do suspect a driver problem

I've wracked my brains over this one for a few minutes, without much useful output, I'm afraid; the Vodafone drivers are often used to solve problems with Mac OS and ZTE driver problems, but here they seem to be causing it. The console message suggests the same to me — a driver problem — although quite why there is a driver problem I am not sure!

Some thoughts:

a.) Are you running the Mac in 64-bit or 32-bit mode? You could try changing to 32-bit mode if in 64-bit, and seeing if that makes a difference? (If it did, it would likely point to a bug in the 64 bit drivers.)

b.) Could you try a previous release of the software, and see if that does the trick?

c.) You could also try an uninstall utility, if you've just done a drag-to-Trash uninstallation; it is possible, I guess, that the application is leaving some debris somewhere in the system, which is causing subsequent re-installations to be ineffective. (You might also try the "de-install" option which I believe is in the VMB installer menu, and see if this works...?)

d.) Could it be something as stupid as checking / verifying disk permissions? I can't see a reason why it would be this, but, since it's relatively painless to check, it might be worth doing?

Neil

@Neil_Brown wrote:

So I do suspect a driver problem

I've wracked my brains over this one for a few minutes, without much useful output, I'm afraid; the Vodafone drivers are often used to solve problems with Mac OS and ZTE driver problems, but here they seem to be causing it. The console message suggests the same to me — a driver problem — although quite why there is a driver problem I am not sure!

Some thoughts:

a.) Are you running the Mac in 64-bit or 32-bit mode? You could try changing to 32-bit mode if in 64-bit, and seeing if that makes a difference? (If it did, it would likely point to a bug in the 64 bit drivers.)

b.) Could you try a previous release of the software, and see if that does the trick?

c.) You could also try an uninstall utility, if you've just done a drag-to-Trash uninstallation; it is possible, I guess, that the application is leaving some debris somewhere in the system, which is causing subsequent re-installations to be ineffective. (You might also try the "de-install" option which I believe is in the VMB installer menu, and see if this works...?)

d.) Could it be something as stupid as checking / verifying disk permissions? I can't see a reason why it would be this, but, since it's relatively painless to check, it might be worth doing?

a) It is presently running in 64 bits.

b) I did install the software which was on the USB Dongle, same thing... 

c) I did a full uninstall, as per the latest VMB uninstaller option, rebooted, then reinsalled, then rebooted, same thing...

d) I did a filesystem repair/check, corrected a few things here and there but still no go.

I managed to get my hands on a Huawei E272 dongle, which works flawlessly with the same software... Thanks for looking into it.

Hi smorvan,

It's great to hear you've found a working solution to your query :Smiling:

Should you have any further questions, you know where to find us.

Thanks

Andy

Neil_Brown

Hmmm... no closer to knowing what the solution is, unfortunately...

a) It is presently running in 64 bits.

You could try booting it in 32 bit mode, and see whether that makes a difference. I'd be surprised, since it has worked (albeit once) but I'm rather lost for suggestions, other than using a third party removal program rather than the scripts bundled with VMC.

Neil